Custom Illuminating Pink Velvet Daybed by Steve Chase from Chase Designed Home
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Custom Illuminating Pink Velvet Daybed by Steve Chase from Chase Designed Home
- CreatorSteve Chase (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 29.5 in (74.93 cm)Width: 99 in (251.46 cm)Depth: 40 in (101.6 cm)Seat Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- StyleModern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1980
- ConditionExcellent condition. Recently reupholstered in pink velvet fabric.
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU133028615673
About the Designer
Steve Chase lived in and worked out of Palm Springs, California, but he created luxury spaces and furniture for projects that took shape all over the world. A consummate art collector and brilliant interior designer, Chase was involved in every aspect of the rooms he designed and attracted many high-profile clients, including Gerald and Betty Ford, Farrah Fawcett and Gene Hackman.
Chase was born in New Hampshire and attended the Rhode Island School of Design as well as the ArtCenter in Los Angeles. After completing his studies, he joined Arthur Elrod and Associates — a celebrated Palm Springs-based firm that created colorful interiors and furniture for a range of Hollywood stars and more during the height of the mid-century modern era. Chase worked with Elrod for more than a decade before establishing his own business in 1980.
Chase designed his furniture to meet the sensibilities and personalities of his clients, and his work ranged from the traditional to the tastefully unconventional. While he created sculptural brass side tables that boast striking brutalist forms, there were also understated chrome-framed coffee tables with fossil shell tops. For his seating, Chase’s palette ranged from bright pastels to modest earth tones, and his vintage sofas are known for their signature tufted-channel backrests and seats. The plush cushioning was most prevalent in his Monterey seating collection of chairs, sectionals and sofas manufactured by the firm Martin Brattrud Inc., which produced most of Chase's designs during the 1970s and '80s.
Chase supported a number of charitable organizations and strongly advocated for the Desert AIDS Project (DAP), a volunteer-led initiative to combat the HIV epidemic in Coachella Valley. He lent his design talents to improve their office space, and used his influence with celebrities to enlist their help on the project. Chase also joined the Contemporary Art Council Acquisitions Committee at the Palm Springs Art Museum and eventually bequeathed more than 130 works to the institution when he passed away in 1994.
In 1996, the DAP created the annual Steve Chase Humanitarian Awards to honor him. Today he is remembered for his humanitarian giving as often he is for his furniture designs and lively interiors.
Automaton is the premier source for early-production originals of hard-to-find 20th-century designs and functional art, serving a range of clients, from celebrities and interior designers to aficionados with modest budgets. Its 20,000-square-foot Los Angeles space is packed with rare examples of designs from a large repertoire of such designers as Philip and Kelvin LaVerne, Vladimir Kagan, Eero Saarinen, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Jorge Zalszupin, Sergio Rodrigues and Giuseppe Scapinelli.
- Barcelona Daybed by Mies Van Der Rohe for Knoll International, 1960s, SignedBy Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, KnollLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis iconic and authentic (both the leather cushion and the Mahogany frame is signed with Knoll International labels) daybed is the 'Barcelona Daybed' also referred to as the 'Barcel...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern DaybedsMaterials
Stainless Steel$13,000 Sale Price23% Off
- Poul Kjærholm for E. Kold Christensen Early Year PK-80 Daybed, Double SignedBy E. Kold Christensen, Poul KjærholmLocated in Los Angeles, CAA fine collectors example in showroom condition of an early production original of the PK-80 Daybed by Poul Kjærholm for E. Kold Christensen, with original steel frame, double signed...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern DaybedsMaterials
Cut Steel$29,300 Sale Price22% Off
- 'Chariot' Leather Chaise Lounge by Paul Tuttle for Strassle International c 1972By Strässle International, Paul TuttleLocated in Los Angeles, CAA unique 'Chariot' chaise lounge by Paul Tuttle for Strassle International, circa 1972 Switzerland. Constructed from chrome plated tubular steel frame and leather sling, this suspend...Category
Vintage 1970s Swiss Modern Chaise LonguesMaterials
Steel, Chrome$6,000 Sale Price30% Off
- Extremely Large Custom Made Contemporary DaybedLocated in Los Angeles, CAAn attractive and extremely large modern style Daybed, produced in circa early 2000's custom made for a Beverly Hills estate. While we normally don't acquire contemporary pieces, thi...Category
Early 2000s American Modern DaybedsMaterials
Steel$3,100 Sale Price36% Off
- 'Cleopatra' Daybed by A.R. Cordemeijer for Auping Netherlands, c. 1953, SignedBy A.R. Cordemeijer, AupingLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis stylish 'Cleopatra' daybed by A.R. Cordemeijer for Auping, Netherlands, was designed and produced in circa 1953. Signed on the springs as can be seen in the photos. Featurin...Category
Vintage 1950s Dutch Scandinavian Modern DaybedsMaterials
Metal$2,100 Sale Price34% Off
- 'Rio' Rocking Chaise Lounge by Oscar Niemeyer for Fasem International, SignedBy Oscar Niemeyer, Fasem InternationalLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis 'Rio' sculptural rocking chaise lounge by Oscar Niemeyer for Fasem International was originally designed in 1978 and produced through this day by the same Italian maker. Featuri...Category
2010s Italian Modern Chaise LonguesMaterials
Leather, Wood$8,300 Sale Price / item24% Off
- Mauve Leather and Charcoal Gray Daybed by Mirak for Steve ChaseBy Steve ChaseLocated in Palm Springs, CAA spectacular 1980s Post-Modern Attila daybed designed by French Architect Jean Michele Wilmotte for Mirak and special ordered by Steve Chase. The Daybeds frames is solid steel that ...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Juan Montoya Custom DaybedBy Juan MontoyaLocated in Hanover, MACustom upholstered long divan or chaise lounge designed by Juan Montoya for a published interiors project completed in 1991 in Georgetown DC. Fabricated and upholstered by Ken Flam, ...Category
1990s American Post-Modern Daybeds
- Yiban Yiban Daybed Designed by Thomas DarielLocated in Geneve, CHYiban Yiban daybed designed by Thomas Dariel Dimensions: D 60 x W 150 x H 90 cm Materials: Structure in solid timber and plywood, memory foam base, and seating fully upholstered i...Category
2010s French Modern Chaise LonguesMaterials
- Custom Daybed with Bolsters, USA, 2020Located in New York, NYOak frame upholstered in linen with bolsters. Can be ordered in any size, COM 8yds.Category
21st Century and Contemporary American DaybedsMaterials
Oak$8,500 / item
- Antique Regency Satinwood Récamier Chase Lounge Sofa Fainting Couch DaybedLocated in Dayton, OH"A rare and impressive Regency period Récamier sofa or fainting couch, circa 1820s. Exquisite and vibrant Satinwood sleigh form featuring a scroll crest rail, rolled and flared arms....Category
Antique 1820s Regency Chaise LonguesMaterials
- Daybed in Walnut and Leather Designed by Craig BassamBy BassamFellowsLocated in Ridgefield, CTFor many who’ve encountered it or been lucky enough to recline upon it, the BassamFellows Daybed is more than a piece of furniture - it’s an obsession. While a sofa is made to accomm...Category
2010s Italian Modern DaybedsMaterials
Leather, Wood$10,220 / item
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery