Rosewood Case Sofa by Milo Baughman
About the Item
- Creator:Milo Baughman (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 28.5 in (72.39 cm)Width: 90 in (228.6 cm)Depth: 35.5 in (90.17 cm)Seat Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:c1960s
- Condition:Reupholstered. Wear consistent with age and use. The sofa has been reupholstered at some point and is still in very good shape. No rips, tears or holes. A few minor chips to the veneer. A few light scuffs.
- Seller Location:San Francisco, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: A26971stDibs: LU908634350562
Milo Baughman was one of the most agile and adept modern American furniture designers of the late 20th century. A prolific lecturer and writer on the benefits of good design — he taught for years at Brigham Young University — Baughman (whose often-scrambled surname is pronounced BAWF-man) focused almost exclusively on residential furnishings, such as chairs, sofas and benches. He had a particular talent for lounge chairs, perhaps the most sociable piece of furniture.
Like his fellow adoptive Californians Charles and Ray Eames, Baughman’s furniture has a relaxed and breezy air. He was famously opposed to ostentatious and idiosyncratic designs that were made to excite attention. While many of his chair designs are enlivened by such effects as tufted upholstery, Baughman tended to let his materials carry the aesthetic weight, most often relying on seating and table frames made of sturdy and sleek flat-bar chromed metal, and chairs, tables and cabinets finished with highly-figured wood veneers.
Like his colleagues Karl Springer and the multifarious Pierre Cardin, Baughman’s designs are emblematic of the 1970s: sleek, sure and scintillating.
As you will see from the furniture presented on 1stDibs, Milo Baughman’s designs for the likes of Drexel Furniture, Glenn of California and — for five decades — Thayer Coggin are ably employed as either the heart of a décor or its focal point.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Francisco, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Rosewood Case Lounge Chair by Milo BaughmanBy Milo BaughmanLocated in San Francisco, CAA case lounge chair by Milo Baughman with a beautiful rosewood frame and cream upholstery. One matching sofa available. The sofa has been reupholstered at some point and is still ...Category
Late 20th Century American Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
Fabric, Upholstery, Rosewood
- Tufted Chairs by Milo BaughmanBy Milo BaughmanLocated in San Francisco, CATufted tub chairs by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin. A rare, early style that marked the beginning of their long collaboration. Walnut frames support...Category
Vintage 1960s American Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Walnut, Alpaca$6,000 / item
- "Cubo" Living Room Suite by Jorge ZalszupinBy Jorge ZalszupinLocated in San Francisco, CAA complete "Cubo" living room suite by Jorge Zalszupin consisting of a sofa, pair of chairs, side table and coffee table. All upholstered in white le...Category
Vintage 1970s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
Leather, Wood$36,500 / set
- Milo Baughman Lounge ChairBy Milo BaughmanLocated in San Francisco, CAA Milo Baughman tub chair for Thayer Coggin in the original Jack Lenor Larsen velvet fabric. Tapered wooden legs and flared arms.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Lounge Chairs by Milo Baughman for Pacific IronBy Pacific Iron, Milo BaughmanLocated in San Francisco, CAA pair of rare lounge chairs by Milo Baughman. Features a black iron frame. Manufactured by Pacific Iron Products 1950. The frames have been repainted at some point. While the red...Category
Vintage 1950s American Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Brazilian Rosewood Sofa by Liceu de Arte e OfficiosLocated in San Francisco, CAA Brazilian hardwood sofa. Attractive slatted back, cyclindrical legs and curved arms. Includes loose cushions covered in a white fabric. We have matching side chairs...Category
Vintage 1950s Brazilian Modern SofasMaterials
Jacaranda, Rosewood, Wool
- Loveseat and Chair by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin, White Laminate CaseBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Kansas City, MOSettee / loveseat and lounge chair designed by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin. Mod 1970s design. White laminate case / frame with new charcoal gray Maharam fabric. Completely and ex...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
- 1960s Milo Baughman Leather and Wood Sofa and Chairs, Set of 3By Milo BaughmanLocated in Fort Lauderdale, FLOn offer on this occasion is one of the most stunning, midcentury set you could hope to find. This is an ultra-rare opportunity to acquire what is, unequivocally, the best of the bes...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Rosewood Case SofaBy Milo Baughman, Thayer CogginLocated in Chicago, ILMilo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Rosewood Case Sofa. rosewood veneer with lacquer finish, chrome tubular feet reupholstered with nubby cotton-poly Great Plains Fabric. Seat height 17".Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Milo Baughman, Rosewood Case Sofa, circa 1950 - 1959By Milo BaughmanLocated in LAGUNA BEACH, CAWrapped rosewood three-seat sofa. Meticulously reupholstered with Dedar Milano fabrics, designed by Milo Baughman in the 1950s. Milo Baughman brought comfort and ease to the simplic...Category
Vintage 1950s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Outrageous Milo Baughman Style Rosewood Chrome Case Sofa John StuartBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Pemberton, NJOutrageous Milo Baughman style rosewood and chrome case sofa. The rosewood case is gorgeous with a deep dark rich color and highly figured graining throughout. The chromed steel legs...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Pair of Large and Inviting Round Milo Baughman Lounge ChairsBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Ferndale, MILarge and inviting round lounge chairs. Perfect for partners to curl up in. Seat and backrest covered in black chenille backside done in black naugahyde. One center button tuft to se...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Rooms We Love: 11 Splendid Living Rooms
Common wisdom used to declare the kitchen the hub of the house. These days, the living room seems to have assumed the role of domestic focal point. Unlike the Victorian parlor, stiffly furnished and reserved for guests, today’s living room is a central place for reading, conversation and, well, living, with furnishings that lend themselves to both casual lounging and elegant entertaining.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery