Campana Brothers 'Alligator Banquette'
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Campana Brothers 'Alligator Banquette'
- CreatorCampana Brothers (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 39 in (99.06 cm)Width: 37 in (93.98 cm)Length: 39 in (99.06 cm)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture2011
- ConditionContact Dealer.
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference NumberSeller: C18-FDF151stDibs: LU794811745613
About the Designer
The Campana Brothers are among Brazil’s foremost contemporary furniture designers. Inspired by their country’s vernacular culture, Humberto and Fernando Campana combine everyday objects in unexpected ways, often waste materials like rope, cardboard, plastic tubing, and aluminum wire, to make their singular creations. Their designs have been manufactured by such companies as Alessi, Swarovski and Cappellini. And they have received numerous honors, including being named Designer of the Year both at Design Miami in 2008, and by Maison & Objet in Paris in 2012.
Humberto Campana was born in Rio Claro in 1953 and earned a bachelor’s degree in law from the University of São Paulo. Fernando was born in 1961 in Brotas, and graduated from the São Paulo School of Fine Arts with a bachelor’s degree in architecture. The brothers started working together in 1983, crafting furniture using their signature method of adaptive reuse. Their pieces frequently refer to Brazilian social and cultural traditions and entities. Among these are the country’s favelas, or shantytowns, that have grown up around major cities. An homage to the resourcefulness with which the residents of São Paulo’s favelas make use of the materials at hand, repurposing cast-off objects in ingenious designs and constructions, their Favela armchair is made of cast-off strips of wood (the first one was made from discarded slats from a fruit market), which are glued and nailed together seemingly at random. The end result, however, is a compact, solid and well-proportioned chair.
By 1997, some of the Campanas’ pieces were being produced and sold in Italy, including the Edra Vermelha armchair, constructed of cord handwoven around a steel frame. In 1998, the brothers became the first Brazilian designers to have their work exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Today their furniture is included in MoMA’s permanent collection and in those of numerous other major institutions, such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and the Vitra Design Museum.
- Theo Ruth Leather Upholstered SetteeBy Theo RuthLocated in Los Angeles, CATheo Ruth leather upholstered settee.Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern SetteesMaterials
- Ole Wanscher Two-Seat SetteeBy Ole WanscherLocated in Los Angeles, CAOle Wanscher two-seat settee in mahogany with leather.Category
Vintage 1960s Danish SetteesMaterials
Mahogany, LeatherPrice Upon Request
- Poul Kjaerholm & E Kold Christensen 'PK27' Leather ChairBy Poul KjærholmLocated in Los Angeles, CAPoul Kjaerholm & E Kold Christensen 'PK27' chair in molded plywood and maple veneer, with brown leather upholstery. From Denmark, 1971.Category
Vintage 1970s Danish ChairsMaterials
LeatherPrice Upon Request
- Pair of Poul Kjaerholm PK27 Easy ChairsBy Poul KjærholmLocated in Los Angeles, CAPair of Poul Kjaerholm PK27 easy chairs with leather upholstery, 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Plywood, Leather$25,000 / set
- Frits Henningsen Lounge Chair and OttomanBy Frits HenningsenLocated in Los Angeles, CAA Frits Henningsen lounge chair and ottoman, in leather and mahogany. From Denmark, 1930. Dimensions listed are for the chair. Ottoman dimensions: 18" x 18" x 17.5" H.Category
Vintage 1930s Danish Lounge ChairsMaterials
Leather, MahoganyPrice Upon Request
- Lounge Chair in the Style of Paul TuttleBy Paul TuttleLocated in Los Angeles, CALounge chair in the style of Paul Tuttle, late 20th century, with a cantilevered frame of chrome-plated steel and chrome.Category
20th Century American Lounge ChairsMaterials
Chrome, SteelPrice Upon Request
- Fernando and Humberto Campana (Campana Brothers) Anemone ChairBy Edra, Campana BrothersLocated in Kansas City, MOFernando and Humberto Campana Anemone chair manufactured by Edra. Brazil/Italy, 2001. Special hollow tubes in plastic are handwoven methodically and screw-attached to the corolla-sha...Category
Early 2000s Italian Post-Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Limited Edition 'Sobreiro' Armchair by the Campana Brothers, Brazil, 2018By Campana BrothersLocated in Utrecht, NLMade in limited edition of only 150, the “Sobreiro” (Portuguese for cork oak tree) armchair is part of the small exclusive Sobreiro Collection of cork furniture designed by the Campa...Category
2010s Brazilian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Campana Brothers. Red - Vermelha Chair PrototypeBy Campana BrothersLocated in Sao Paulo, SPPrototype for the famous "Red - Vermelha Chair" made by the Campana Brothers from Brazil. Traditional Brazilian weaving was an inspiration for this piece and in an interview for the ...Category
1990s Brazilian Post-Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Large Round White-Linen Upholstered BanquetteLocated in Houston, TXLarge round white-linen upholstered banquette dating to the late 19th century. Newly upholstered in white linen, with diamond tufted back. Raised upon turned ebonized legs.Category
Antique Late 19th Century French Napoleon III BenchesMaterials
- Rattan Easy Chair in the Style of Campana Brothers & Porky HeferBy Porky Hefer 1Located in Antwerp, BEBird's nest easy chair in rattan Attributed to artist designer Porky Hefer. For South African designer Porky Hefer, architects and designers have much to learn from nature, in p...Category
Early 2000s ArmchairsMaterials
- Swedish Gray Dining Banquette in Green LeopardBy Bjork StudioLocated in Atlanta, GABeautifully made custom banquette or bench in distressed Swedish gray finish with green leopard grospoint fabric by Bjork Studio. In excellent condition. Perfect for an entrance, a f...Category
2010s American Modern BenchesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The Campana Brothers Put São Paulo on the Design Map, by Smashing All the Rules
Combining unexpected materials with out-there ideas, the Brazilian talents have created icons of modern design.
JF Chen Moves Stools Out of the Corner and into the Spotlight
In Los Angeles, dealer Joel Chen gives the often clever and always versatile seats some long-overdue attention.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery