- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Cerused Rattan Large Lounge Chairs and Ottoman by McGuire
- CreatorMcGuire (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 28 in (71.12 cm)Width: 27 in (68.58 cm)Depth: 30 in (76.2 cm)Seat Height: 13 in (33.02 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 3
- StyleOrganic Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1980
- Conditionall over beautiful original condition. structurally solid. ready for immediate use.
- Seller LocationRochester, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU961126017322
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Rochester, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Like so many artists and designers, husband and wife John McGuire (1920–2013) and Elinor Stevenson (1914–2005) became masters in their trade by accident. For the founders of McGuire Furniture Company, well, furniture wasn’t actually in the plans.
The couple met just before the start of World War II (during which John was in the U.S. Navy and Elinor was a navigation instructor) and got married after it ended. They settled down in San Francisco where John held a couple of jobs — among them selling newspaper ads for the San Francisco Examiner while Elinor worked for Boeing Aircraft. Soon, an old Navy buddy of John’s asked him to help sell a bunch of rattan furniture and, needing the money, John agreed. His side business became so successful that John decided to quit his ad-sales job and work full-time in design.
In 1948, McGuire Furniture Company was born. Alongside the mid-century modern furniture designs then gaining popularity in the United States, John introduced an unconventional idea: traditional armchairs, stools and tables made of natural materials such as bamboo, which was strong yet could be rendered pliable when steamed, that were intended for the indoors rather than the front porch.
The brand’s first success was the now famous Director’s X-Chair by Leonard Linden. The military-campaign-style solid oak folding chair launched in 1956 and saw rattan binded with rawhide strips and a high-grade leather slug seat and back that eliminated the need for a plush cushion. Elinor, too, designed some of the brand’s popular pieces, such as 1968’s Cracked Ice chair. With its rattan oval back a dazzling celebration of geometric forms that give it its charming moniker, the Cracked Ice chair was an instant classic and is one of the brand’s most recognizable designs.
Today, McGuire and another American furniture manufacturer, Baker Furniture Company, comprise Baker Interiors Group. McGuire remains true to the founders’ ideals and commitment to crafting the kind of organic modern furnishings that are synonymous with the warm and relaxed feel of California design. The company has collaborated with interior designers Steven Volpe, Orlando Diaz-Azcuy and Nicole Hollis, and, as of 2019, its luxury furnishings share a 16,500-square-foot showroom with Baker’s in San Francisco. Some of the earliest McGuire Furniture Company designs are part of the permanent collection at the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum in New York City.
Find a range of McGuire Furniture on 1stDibs.
- Large Woven Leather OttomanBy Ralph LaurenLocated in Rochester, NYLarge woven leather ottoman with recessed wood base in overall great original condition. Beautiful rich glowing color to leather. In the style of Ralph Lauren design. Circa 1990. Mea...Category
Late 20th Century Modern Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Iron Strap Lounge Chair by Russell WoodardBy Russell WoodardLocated in Rochester, NYA wrought iron strap lounge chair with great sculptural form in beautifully aged original finish. A hard to find modernist design by Russell Woodard, circa 1950 - 1960. Look at all ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Patio and Garden FurnitureMaterials
- Faux Bamboo Brass Bronze Stool Ottoman, Circa 1960Located in Rochester, NYUnusual faux bamboo leg golden brass bronze stool / ottoman with original gloss black patent vinyl leather upholstery. Circa 1960. Look at all pictures and read condition report in c...Category
Mid-20th Century Unknown Hollywood Regency StoolsMaterials
- Antique Paddle Arm Wicker Lounge ChairLocated in Rochester, NYLarge scale tall scroll back curved paddle arm woven wicker lounge chair in perfectly aged old sea foam green painted surface. A rare chair with an exceptionally beautiful sculptural...Category
Early 20th Century Patio and Garden FurnitureMaterials
- Walnut Cube Ottomans Flip Top Upholstery Seat to Game Board - Lane Furn. 1960By Lane FurnitureLocated in Rochester, NYPair of beautifully figured walnut veneer upholstered seat flip top cube ottomans with chess boards / checker boards on underside of cushioned seat / wide open interiors for storage ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Asian Modern Lounge Chairs Style of Michael Taylor Far East Collection for BakerBy Baker Far East Collection, Michael TaylorLocated in Rochester, NYPair of Asian Modern large scale dark walnut lounge chairs with the original ultra-suede type upholstered seat and back cushions. In the style of Michael Taylor - Far East Collection...Category
Mid-20th Century American Ming Lounge ChairsMaterials
Latex, Ultrasuede, Walnut
You May Also Like
Late 20th Century Philippine Lounge Chairs
1990s American Lounge Chairs
20th Century American Organic Modern Armchairs
Leather, Fabric, Rattan
Vintage 1940s American Art Deco Lounge Chairs
Fabric, Textile, Rattan
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Late 20th Century Philippine Chairs
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1980s Bohemian Lounge Chairs
Fabric, Bamboo, Wicker, Rattan
Vintage 1980s Organic Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1940s American Art Deco Lounge Chairs
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery