- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Superb 'Grand Prix' lounge chairs & sofa by Sculptor Maurice Calka, Arflex, 1960
- DimensionsHeight: 35.04 in. (89 cm)Width: 33.86 in. (86 cm)Depth: 36.62 in. (93 cm)Seat Height: 17.33 in. (44 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 3
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1960
- ConditionReupholstered. Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. The upholstery has been completely restored including new latex foam,Pirelli rubber webbing and new mohair fabric. The Nickel plated bases have been left original and exhibit wear and spot losses commensurate with age maintaining visual authenticity.
- Seller Locationbergen op zoom, NL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU930112753691
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingCustoms Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: bergen op zoom, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
From its unorthodox beginnings, Italian manufacturer Arflex grew into one of the leaders of 20th-century furniture design. Its furniture came to be known for its integration of new materials and bold appeal, and today a variety of vintage Arflex chairs, sofas and tables are emblems of mid-century modernism.
Arflex was established in Milan in 1947 by Pirelli employees Carlo Barassi, Pio Reggiani, Renato Teani and Aldo Bai. Barassi, a Milan Polytechnic graduate and visionary engineer at the Italian tire manufacturer, explored innovative technology and new uses for synthetic materials in domestic products (for Kartell, he codeveloped a ski rack for automobiles). The four founders partnered with a young architect named Marco Zanuso, who also desired to create furniture that featured an application of novel materials such as elastic tape and polyurethane foam.
One of Arflex’s inaugural pieces was Zanuso’s Lady armchair, a seat made of polyurethane foam that was manufactured in pieces and assembled at the very end of the production process. It won a gold medal at the 1951 Milan Triennale. A couple of years later, Arflex collaborated with Studio BBPR to create the office-chic Elettra and Neptunia chairs. The flourishing furniture company quickly established a reputation for compelling products and attracting and working with up-and-coming designers such as Roberto Menghi, who created Hall, a luxurious line of seating that would earn the Compasso d’Oro – Honorable Mention in 1959.
In the 1960s, Arflex continued to welcome the use of new and cutting-edge materials. Popular designs from this decade include Carlo Bartoli's fiberglass and polyester resin Gaia lounge chair and Cini Boer’s Bobo Relax lounger, one of history’s first seating pieces made of polyurethane foam (it has no internal frame). Boer, a pioneer of furniture design in Italy, also created the Strips sofa for the brand in 1972. Part of a plush modular seating system, the Strips sofa became an Arflex icon and was awarded the Compasso d'Oro in 1979.
Arflex continues to work with innovative designers to this day. Among their more recent collaborations is with Swedish design studio Claesson Koivisto Rune. The company's legendary creations are also on display at museums worldwide. The Lady chair, for example, is in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.
- Super Rare Pair of Pieter De Bruyne Leather Lounge Chairs, Arflex, Italy, 1960By Pieter De BruyneLocated in bergen op zoom, NLStunning pair of leather and nickel-plated steel lounge chairs designed in 1960 by Belgian architect and design visionary Pieter De Bruyne (1931-1987) for Arflex Italy and in product...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Marco Zanuso 'Milord ' Loveseats in Mohair Velvet, 1957, Arflex ItalyBy Arflex, Marco ZanusoLocated in bergen op zoom, NLLovely pair of restored 'Milord' loveseats by Marco Zanuso for Arflex,Italy finished in Mohair fabric with mahogany veneer side panels. Both chairs are signed with original early fa...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern LoveseatsMaterials
Mohair, Foam, Latex, Rubber, Birch, Plywood, Mahogany
- Sculptural Form Lounge Chairs, Mohair Fabric with Brass Legs, ISA, Italy, 1950By Gio Ponti, ISA BergamoLocated in bergen op zoom, NLBeautiful pair of restored sculptural form Italian lounge chairs in the style of Gio Ponti dating from the very early 1950s with beautifully hand crafted wood frames and sprung seats...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pierre Paulin "Pod" Chairs Artifort 1960s Rare Model with New Ploeg Wool FabricBy Artifort, Pierre PaulinLocated in bergen op zoom, NLPair of fully restored 'POD' chairs by French designer Pierre Paulin for Artifort The Netherlands This chair is a rare model to find and as a pair very unique The original chai...Category
Vintage 1960s Dutch Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pierre Paulin 442/3 Sofa for Artifort, 1962 in Sophisticated De Ploeg UpholsteryBy Artifort, Pierre PaulinLocated in bergen op zoom, NLThis extremely comfortable model 442/3 seats sofa from Dutch manufacturer Artifort is a design from French Designer Pierre Paulin (1927-2009) who currently has a major exhibition on ...Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- FK 6725 Tulip Chairs by Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm for Alfred Kill, 1964By Alfred Kill International, Jørgen Kastholm & Preben FabriciusLocated in bergen op zoom, NLPair of early 1960s production FK 6725 Tulip Chairs by Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm for Alfred Kill International. These chairs have their original cognac leather upholster...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1960s Norwegian Scandinavian Modern Sofas
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Leather, Fiberglass, Foam
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
2010s Thai Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1950s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
2010s French Organic Modern Sofas
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery