Pair of Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Waterfall Ottomans or Benches
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 19 in (48.26 cm)Width: 26.5 in (67.31 cm)Depth: 16.5 in (41.91 cm)Seat Height: 19 in (48.26 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Hollywood Regency (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1980s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Very nice original condition, see description.
- Seller Location:St. Louis, MO
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU820216237752
Milo Baughman was one of the most agile and adept modern American furniture designers of the late 20th century. A prolific lecturer and writer on the benefits of good design — he taught for years at Brigham Young University — Baughman (whose often-scrambled surname is pronounced BAWF-man) focused almost exclusively on residential furnishings, such as chairs, sofas and benches. He had a particular talent for lounge chairs, perhaps the most sociable piece of furniture.
Like his fellow adoptive Californians Charles and Ray Eames, Baughman’s furniture has a relaxed and breezy air. He was famously opposed to ostentatious and idiosyncratic designs that were made to excite attention. While many of his chair designs are enlivened by such effects as tufted upholstery, Baughman tended to let his materials carry the aesthetic weight, most often relying on seating and table frames made of sturdy and sleek flat-bar chromed metal, and chairs, tables and cabinets finished with highly-figured wood veneers.
As you will see from the furniture presented on 1stDibs, Milo Baughman’s designs for the likes of Drexel Furniture, Glenn of California and — for five decades — Thayer Coggin are ably employed as either the heart of a décor or its focal point.
Few friendships last a lifetime, but Milo Baughman (1923–2003) and Thayer Coggin (1922–2003) were united by their desire to craft American furniture with timeless heirloom appeal. Today vintage Thayer Coggin sofas, coffee tables, alluring chrome-framed chairs and other furnishings are recognized as masterpieces of good design and remain highly sought after by collectors near and far.
Having both served in the military during World War II and coming from humble backgrounds — Coggin from Denton, North Carolina, and Baughman from Goodland, Kansas (but raised in California) — they shared a passion for simple, modern design in home furnishings. In 1953, after showing his prescient designs to a number of companies (who turned him down) in the furniture center of High Point, North Carolina, Baughman decided to pay a last-minute visit to Coggin, who had just founded his eponymous brand. After a nearly hour-long meeting in which Coggin shot out of his seat exclaiming he had never seen anything like Baughman's work, the two men shook hands. They would be friends and collaborators for the next 50 years.
Coggin let Baughman pursue his singular vision, while the Thayer Coggin company benefited from its close relationship with the ever more prominent Baughman, the manufacturer’s lead designer and an architect of California modernism who also collaborated with Drexel Furniture, Glenn of California and others during his career.
In 1968, New York Times critic Rita Reif hailed Baughman’s work for its elegance and sophistication. “With this furniture,” she wrote of his new collection, Environment 70 produced by Thayer Coggin, “who needs a decorator?” Baughman’s name became synonymous with sleekly modern, comfortable furniture the whole family could enjoy — stylish seating upholstered with impossibly cozy bouclé fabric and dashing case pieces that reflected the venturesome sensibility associated with mid-century modernism as well as the functionality of the Bauhaus.
Although its founder died in 2003, Thayer Coggin remains an esteemed family-run brand in High Point. Each item of furniture is bench-made by a single craftsperson to ensure “continuity among related pieces,” the company says, and comes in a vast array of upholstery fabrics, wood and metal finishes. Like the friendship that defined it, Thayer Coggin furniture is built to last.
Find a unique collection of new and vintage Thayer Coggin furniture today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: St. Louis, MO
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Set of 4 Milo Baughman for Thayer-Coggin Cantilever Dining or Game Table ChairsBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in St. Louis, MOSet of four Milo Baughman for Thayer-Coggin cantilevered armless dining chairs, model #1060 with chrome frames. These chairs were used around a Leo Rosen for...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Custom Made X-Base Dark Espresso Ottoman or Bench of a Mid-Century Modern DesignBy Tomlinson/Erwin-Lambeth Furniture Company, Erwin LambethLocated in St. Louis, MOReproduced from an original 1950s design, in the style of vintage Tomlinson Sophisticate line. Custom made bench or ottoman with mahogany X-base with button tufting, shown in leather...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Set of 8 1970s Chrome & Rattan Dining ChairsBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in St. Louis, MOSleek Mid-Century Modern set of eight chrome & cane back side dining chairs designed by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin circa 1970s. Each chair having a thin simplistic chrome frame ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Brown Large Parsons Dining Table Two 20" LeavesBy Milo BaughmanLocated in St. Louis, MOMilo Baughman for Thayer Coggin large chocolate laminate Parsons dining table with two 20" leaves. Laminate does show surface wear in several areas, minor nicks. Can be used as a con...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Pair of Baker Furniture Co. Large Sculpted Form 70's or 80's Ottomans or PoufsBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in St. Louis, MOPair of Baker Furniture Company sculpted ottomans or poufs circa late 1970s or early 1980s with vintage Chintz floral and rope welt upholstery. I think ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Vintage 40's Italian Cream & Gold Gilt Faux Rope Tassel Ottoman, Stool or BenchBy Napoléon IIILocated in St. Louis, MOVintage Napoléon IIII style or Hollywood Regency round tufted upholstered ottoman. This Italian made cream painted & gold gilt, faux wood rope tassel ottoman...Category
Vintage 1940s Italian Hollywood Regency Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Pair of Waterfall Ottomans by Thayer Coggin, Attributed to Milo BaughmanBy Thayer CogginLocated in St.Petersburg, FLPair of upholstered waterfall ottomans/ stools/ petite benches by Thayer Coggin and likely designed by Milo Baughman. What makes these unique is the chrome stretcher which runs under...Category
Vintage 1980s North American Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Postmodern Waterfall Bench by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin, 1980sBy Milo Baughman, Thayer CogginLocated in Hamburg, PAA chic Waterfall Vanity Bench or Bench designed by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin, 1980s. This Post-Modern bench has a chrome stretcher base and brass roller feet. It would look gre...Category
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern BenchesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Upholstered and Wood Bench Set by Milo Baughman Thayer CogginBy Milo Baughman, Thayer CogginLocated in Philadelphia, PAA clean line modern bench set designed by Milo Baughman and produced by Thayer Coggin 1960s. It features a solid maple frame with original metallic ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Saddle Ottoman in VelvetBy Milo Baughman, Thayer CogginLocated in Wilton, CTThe saddle ottoman was designed in 1965 by leading modern furniture designer Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin. This ottoman is modern and unique, with a ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Pair of Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Curved Black Leather and Wood OttomansBy Milo Baughman, Thayer CogginLocated in New York, NYPAIR of American Mid-Century ottomans with curved black leather cushions supported by a circular wooden base. (MILO BAUGHMAN FOR THAYER COGGIN)(PRICED AS PAIR)Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
Leather, Upholstery, Wood
- Milo Baughman Parsons Style Upholstered OttomanBy Milo Baughman, Thayer Coggin, Billy BaldwinLocated in Houston, TXStunning midcentury Milo Baughman Parsons style upholstered ottoman. This gorgeous Hollywood Regency Parsons ottoman or bench has been professionally ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency BenchesMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
Rooms We Love: 11 Splendid Living Rooms
Common wisdom used to declare the kitchen the hub of the house. These days, the living room seems to have assumed the role of domestic focal point. Unlike the Victorian parlor, stiffly furnished and reserved for guests, today’s living room is a central place for reading, conversation and, well, living, with furnishings that lend themselves to both casual lounging and elegant entertaining.
Jackie Kennedy and Sister Parish Placed This Tea Table in the White House
The former First Lady kept the Victorian antique, with an elegant chinoiserie design, for the rest of her life.