Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin No.825 Sectional Sofa 2-Pieces form half Circle
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 31 in (78.74 cm)Width: 164 in (416.56 cm)Depth: 82 in (208.28 cm)Seat Height: 17 in (43.18 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:2002
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Nice Condition, some minor fading, really only noticeable to backs of pillows.
- Seller Location:St. Louis, MO
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU820235497312
Milo Baughman was one of the most agile and adept modern American furniture designers of the late 20th century. A prolific lecturer and writer on the benefits of good design — he taught for years at Brigham Young University — Baughman (whose often-scrambled surname is pronounced BAWF-man) focused almost exclusively on residential furnishings, such as chairs, sofas and benches. He had a particular talent for lounge chairs, perhaps the most sociable piece of furniture.
Like his fellow adoptive Californians Charles and Ray Eames, Baughman’s furniture has a relaxed and breezy air. He was famously opposed to ostentatious and idiosyncratic designs that were made to excite attention. While many of his chair designs are enlivened by such effects as tufted upholstery, Baughman tended to let his materials carry the aesthetic weight, most often relying on seating and table frames made of sturdy and sleek flat-bar chromed metal, and chairs, tables and cabinets finished with highly-figured wood veneers.
As you will see from the furniture presented on 1stDibs, Milo Baughman’s designs for the likes of Drexel Furniture, Glenn of California and — for five decades — Thayer Coggin are ably employed as either the heart of a décor or its focal point.
Few friendships last a lifetime, but Milo Baughman (1923–2003) and Thayer Coggin (1922–2003) were united by their desire to craft American furniture with timeless heirloom appeal. Today vintage Thayer Coggin sofas, coffee tables, alluring chrome-framed chairs and other furnishings are recognized as masterpieces of good design and remain highly sought after by collectors near and far.
Having both served in the military during World War II and coming from humble backgrounds — Coggin from Denton, North Carolina, and Baughman from Goodland, Kansas (but raised in California) — they shared a passion for simple, modern design in home furnishings. In 1953, after showing his prescient designs to a number of companies (who turned him down) in the furniture center of High Point, North Carolina, Baughman decided to pay a last-minute visit to Coggin, who had just founded his eponymous brand. After a nearly hour-long meeting in which Coggin shot out of his seat exclaiming he had never seen anything like Baughman's work, the two men shook hands. They would be friends and collaborators for the next 50 years.
Coggin let Baughman pursue his singular vision, while the Thayer Coggin company benefited from its close relationship with the ever more prominent Baughman, the manufacturer’s lead designer and an architect of California modernism who also collaborated with Drexel Furniture, Glenn of California and others during his career.
In 1968, New York Times critic Rita Reif hailed Baughman’s work for its elegance and sophistication. “With this furniture,” she wrote of his new collection, Environment 70 produced by Thayer Coggin, “who needs a decorator?” Baughman’s name became synonymous with sleekly modern, comfortable furniture the whole family could enjoy — stylish seating upholstered with impossibly cozy bouclé fabric and dashing case pieces that reflected the venturesome sensibility associated with mid-century modernism as well as the functionality of the Bauhaus.
Although its founder died in 2003, Thayer Coggin remains an esteemed family-run brand in High Point. Each item of furniture is bench-made by a single craftsperson to ensure “continuity among related pieces,” the company says, and comes in a vast array of upholstery fabrics, wood and metal finishes. Like the friendship that defined it, Thayer Coggin furniture is built to last.
Find a unique collection of new and vintage Thayer Coggin furniture today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: St. Louis, MO
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Pair of Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Waterfall Ottomans or BenchesBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in St. Louis, MOMilo Baughman for Thayer Coggin waterfall design ottomans, vanity benches or stoosl with brass stretcher. Original designed in the late 1970s, the production date on these date to th...Category
Vintage 1980s American Hollywood Regency Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Signed Milo Baughman Chrome & Brown Suede Lounge Recliner for Thayer-Coggin 1976By Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in St. Louis, MORarely seen Milo Baughman Mid-Century Modern recliner lounge chair with channeled suede cushions, on a chrome frame. This classic 1970s modern lounger, ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Set of 4 Milo Baughman for Thayer-Coggin Cantilever Dining or Game Table ChairsBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in St. Louis, MOSet of four Milo Baughman for Thayer-Coggin cantilevered armless dining chairs, model #1060 with chrome frames. These chairs were used around a Leo Rosen for...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Brown Large Parsons Dining Table Two 20" LeavesBy Milo BaughmanLocated in St. Louis, MOMilo Baughman for Thayer Coggin large chocolate laminate Parsons dining table with two 20" leaves. Laminate does show surface wear in several areas, minor nicks. Can be used as a con...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Large Mid-Century Modern Harvey Probber Two-Piece Sectional Sofa, LabeledBy Harvey ProbberLocated in St. Louis, MOLarge Mid-Century Modern 1950s Harvey Probber two-piece sectional sofa with mahogany tapered legs. Sofa has original fabric, it needs to be reupholstered and foam replaced. There is ...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Milo Baughman for James Inc. Walnut with Stripe Lounge ChairBy James Inc., Milo BaughmanLocated in St. Louis, MOMilo Baughman for James Inc. King lounge chair, part of his articulate seating collection with Classic midcentury lines. This chair was reupholstered at some point in the last 10 yea...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Circular Sectional SofaBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Stamford, CTFabulous two piece circular sectional sofa by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin. The original cream colored fabric seems to be an ultra suede. There are no flaws to the fabric. It is ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Milo Baughman Serpintine Sectional Sofa for Thayer CogginBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Philadelphia, PAMilo Baughman Serpintine sectional sofa for Thayer Coggin. Upholstery sits up on a Chrome Curving Base. Three sections which allows you to move this beast! Very Dramatic Comfy Sofa! ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Vintage Milo Baughman Serpentine Three Pieces Sectional Sofa for Thayer CogginBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in North Hollywood, CAMarvelous vintage serpentine sectional sofa manufactured for Thayer Coggin in the 1988. It was designed by Milo Baughman, it has the label of authenticity in the bottom, ( you can se...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Rare Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Serpentine Sectional SofaBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in West Palm Beach, FLRare Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin serpentine sectional sofa on chrome plinth case. Labels in tact underneath the sofa. Reupholstery recommended. There are some dents and dings alo...Category
Vintage 1980s North American Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Biomorphic Sectional Sofa, 1970sBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in View Park, CAAn extraordinarily rare serpentine biomorphic four-piece sectional sofa by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin circa 1970. Thick chrome base lines the under-edge of sofa; fabric is a sum...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- 8 Piece Midcentury Sectional Sofa by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin, C. 1960sBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Deland, FLConsisting of eight pieces (four corner pieces and four side pieces) this expansive sectional sofa is as comfortable as it is grand in scope. Able to be arranged in an almost limitle...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
Rooms We Love: 11 Splendid Living Rooms
Common wisdom used to declare the kitchen the hub of the house. These days, the living room seems to have assumed the role of domestic focal point. Unlike the Victorian parlor, stiffly furnished and reserved for guests, today’s living room is a central place for reading, conversation and, well, living, with furnishings that lend themselves to both casual lounging and elegant entertaining.
Jackie Kennedy and Sister Parish Placed This Tea Table in the White House
The former First Lady kept the Victorian antique, with an elegant chinoiserie design, for the rest of her life.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery