- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Selection of Willy Rizzo sofas available, we can restore,choose your own fabric.
- CreatorWilly Rizzo (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 31.5 in (80 cm)Width: 82.68 in (210 cm)Depth: 43.31 in (110 cm)Seat Height: 9.85 in (25 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1969
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Original brown suede leather upholstery with minor user wear. We have several Willy Rizzo sofas available , we can restore these sofas and recover in a choice of your own fabric, suede etc. Please ask for pricing and current availability.
- Seller Locationbergen op zoom, NL
- Reference NumberSeller: 217 rizzo sofa1stDibs: LU9301743836
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: bergen op zoom, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Renowned Italian furniture designer Willy Rizzo is celebrated for having produced eye-catching, sensational showpieces that merged plush fabrics with wood, metal and glass. Influenced by European modernists and drawing on the spare forms and clean lines of the American mid-century modern style, Rizzo prized functionality and simplicity in his dazzling work.
Born in Naples, Rizzo never intended on designing furniture. Instead, he began pursuing photography at the age of 12. By the 1960s, he had become a notable photographer, having captured images of such celebrities as Marilyn Monroe, Fred Astaire and Spanish artist Salvador Dalí. His experience with furniture design came about inadvertently when he moved to Rome in 1966. There, Rizzo rented an apartment with his wife Elsa that he described as "practically uninhabitable." Dissatisfied with the Scandinavian furniture options on offer, Rizzo built sofas, coffee tables and other furniture to suit the space's strong modern vibe. When his friends saw what he had accomplished, they were enamored by his furniture creations and commissioned him to build similar items for them.
The demand for Rizzo’s furniture grew from there. He established a production facility and workshop in Tivoli, just outside of Rome, which grew to house over 150 employees. There, finding inspiration in the work of iconic architects including Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Le Corbusier, he created more than 30 unique furniture designs. Over the years he opened boutiques around the world to showcase and sell his furniture.
Rizzo prided himself on seamlessly blending the contemporary with the classic. “It was about creating something new for a traditional setting,” he said of his work. From his sleek sideboards to his low-profile side tables, elegant chairs and entire living room sets, Rizzo's style sensibility is evident throughout every detail of his designs.
Rizzo sold his company in 1978 and returned to photography. However, the presence of his furniture resonated into the new century and is sure to impact interior décor enthusiasts into the next. Over the years, high-profile collectors of Rizzo’s work have included French actress Brigitte Bardot, Salvador Dalí and American musician Lenny Kravitz.
- Pair of Two Seat Mohair 'California' Sofas, Jacques Charpentier, Paris, 1970By Jacques CharpentierLocated in bergen op zoom, NLSuperb and exclusive pair of two seat Mohair Velvet 'CALIFORNIA' sofas freshly reupholstered with Italian luxury Mohair Velvet fabric from Dedar Milano with inset stainless steel bas...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
- Restored Early Production Wood Frame Zanuso 'Lady' Chairs, 1951, Mohair FabricBy Marco ZanusoLocated in bergen op zoom, NLSuperb pair of fully restored, very early production wood frame 'Lady' lounge chairs designed by Italian architect Marco Zanuso for Arflex, Italy in 1951. The chairs are finished in...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Superb Pair of Suede Willy Rizzo Lounge Chairs, Signed Studio Willy Rizzo, 1969By Willy RizzoLocated in bergen op zoom, NLExtremely rare pair of signed Willy Rizzo lounge chairs finished in suede with stainless steel bases. These are very early examples which were produced by the 'Studio Willy Rizzo...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Stunning Restored Danish 3 Seat Sofa Madsen & Schubell Bovenkamp DanskStil, 1963By Bovenkamp, Ib Madsen and Acton SchubellLocated in bergen op zoom, NLBeautiful restored Scandinavian sofa by Danish designers Madsen & Schubell that were distributed in the Netherlands by Bovenkamp / Dansk Stil Model in the 1950's and 1960's This i...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials
Upholstery, Oak, Fabric
- 'Pool' Modular Sofa, by Colani , Price Includes Reupholstery & choice of colorBy Rosenthal, Luigi ColaniLocated in bergen op zoom, NLExtremely rare and huge modular 'Pool' sofa by recently deceased German Space Age design pioneer Luigi Colani (1928-2019). I have been collecting elements of Colani's rare modular...Category
Vintage 1970s German Space Age Sectional SofasMaterials
Fiberglass, Foam, Rubber, Wool, Canvas
- 1971 Verner Panton "PANTONOVA" Sofa by X Design Denmark circa 1977 James BondBy Verner PantonLocated in bergen op zoom, NLLarge 10-piece Pantonova modular sofa by Verner Panton, design 1971 Featured in James Bond "The spy who loved me" in 1977 Year: 1971 Serial production model The wire furni...Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Space Age Sectional SofasMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Sofas
20th Century Italian Art Deco Sofas
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Living Room Sets
Antique 19th Century English Early Victorian Sofas
Mid-20th Century European Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Sofas
20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern Sofas
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery