- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
John Widdicomb Art Deco Black Lacquered Dresser Chests, Newly Refinished
About the Item
- Creator:John Widdicomb (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 32.13 in (81.62 cm)Width: 36 in (91.44 cm)Depth: 19.5 in (49.53 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Art Deco (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:Circa 1940s
- Condition:Refinished. Professionally refinished. Excellent condition.
- Seller Location:South Bend, IN
- Reference Number:Seller: 92611stDibs: LU2745331219312
In the Widdicomb family, furniture ran in the blood. Furniture maker George Widdicomb emigrated from England to the United States in 1845, eventually setting up a cabinet shop in Syracuse, New York, before moving west to Grand Rapids, Michigan. There, he opened a shop with his four sons, including John Widdicomb, whose name would help carry the family legacy into the 20th century.
A wealth of pine and oak forests rendered Grand Rapids a logging center during the 1800s, and it eventually gained recognition for its furniture industry. The city became a destination for furniture makers who hailed from across the United States and beyond. The Widdicomb shop in Grand Rapids prospered, as the patriarch’s formal English training allowed him to produce pieces with superior craftsmanship compared to those of his competitors. Although the Civil War halted business and took the life of one of the Widdicomb brothers, the family’s survivors would start anew as Widdicomb Brothers and Richards, soon renamed the Widdicomb Furniture Company.
John Widdicomb, however, split from the family business in 1897 to create the John Widdicomb Company, where he would go on to focus on Louis XV- and French Provincial-style furnishings. Chairs made in these styles have distinct characteristics, such as floral motifs carved in the frames and gently angled backrests. John's company also remained a family affair: The founder’s son, Harry, assumed control of the company when his father died in 1910, while John's nephew Ralph Widdicombe — who retained the English spelling of his last name and joined the John Widdicomb Company at its start — designed every single piece of the offerings at his uncle's manufacturing outfit until he retired in 1951. Ralph was an internationally distinguished furniture designer whose modern mahogany bedroom suite won first prize at the Paris Exposition in 1900.
The original iteration of Widdicomb, which was helmed by John's older brother William while John ran his own brand, had shifted from making period revival styles of furniture, such as Georgian and Chippendale, to manufacturing modern pieces in the late 1920s. Admirers of mid-century modern furnishings likely recognize Widdicomb for the partnerships with iconic designers such as Frank Lloyd Wright, T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings and Mario Buatta. In 1959, master woodworker George Nakashima created his Origins collection for Widdicomb when the firm merged with Mueller Furniture Corporation and was known, for around 10 years, as Widdicomb-Mueller. Origins, a revered Shaker-influenced group of nightstands, upholstered lounge chairs, dining-room tables and more, saw Nakashima working with woods like Carpathian elm and laurel in his Pennsylvania studio.
Eventually, the two Widdicomb companies would combine in 1970, operating under the name John Widdicomb Co.
In 2002, the business closed after more than a century of operations, and its assets were acquired by Stickley Furniture. Interestingly, it was not the first time Widdicomb and Stickley overlapped: In the final years of the 19th century, the companies opened a shared storehouse in London, while John Widdicomb and Albert Stickley would travel Europe together for the purposes of research.
Today, Stickley continues to produce John Widdicomb Company furniture, including French, Italian, English and Russian reproductions, as well as modern works from the first half of the 20th century.
Find vintage John Widdicomb bedroom furniture, tables, case pieces and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: South Bend, IN
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- John Widdicomb Art Deco Black Lacquered Highboy Dresser, Newly RefinishedBy John WiddicombLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous Art Deco or Mid-Century Modern highboy dresser or chest of drawers By John Widdicomb USA, Circa 1940s Black lacquered mahogany, with brass accents. Measures: 4...Category
Vintage 1940s American Art Deco DressersMaterials
- Widdicomb Art Deco White Lacquered Highboy Dresser, Newly RefinishedBy Widdicomb Furniture Co.Located in South Bend, INA gorgeous Art Deco white lacquered five-drawer highboy dresser chest By Widdicomb Furniture Co. USA, circa 1930s White lacquered maple, with chrome and bakelite hardware...Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco DressersMaterials
- John Widdicomb Chippendale Walnut Block Front Chest of Drawers, Newly RefinishedBy John WiddicombLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous Chippendale style four-drawer block front dresser chest or commode By John Widdicomb USA, circa 1960s Solid walnut, with ori...Category
Mid-20th Century American Chippendale Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- John Widdicomb French Provincial Louis XV Lacquered Highboy Dresser, RefinishedBy John WiddicombLocated in South Bend, INAn exceptional French Provincial Louis XV style highboy dresser By John Widdicomb USA, circa 1940s White lacquered mahogany, with original brass hardware. Measures: 39.25...Category
Mid-20th Century American French Provincial DressersMaterials
- John Widdicomb French Provincial White Lacquered Dresser, Newly RefinishedBy Ralph Widdicomb, John WiddicombLocated in South Bend, INAn exceptional French Provincial eight-drawer dresser or credenza Designed by Ralph Widdicomb for John Widdicomb Co. USA, Circa 1940s White lacquered carved mahogany, with o...Category
Vintage 1940s American French Provincial DressersMaterials
- John Widdicomb French Regency White Lacquered Triple Dresser, Newly RefinishedBy John WiddicombLocated in South Bend, INAn exceptional French Provincial Louis XVI style 12-drawer dresser or credenza By John Widdicomb USA, circa 1950s White lacquered mahogany, with original brass hardware. ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Louis XVI DressersMaterials
- Pair of American Mid-Century Mastercraft Chests of DrawersBy MastercraftLocated in Haddonfield, NJAmerican Pair of Mid-Century Mastercraft Chests of drawers, dressers or Night Stands with the original brass hardware. The drawers are in good easy to used working condition with no...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
Brass$2,940 Sale Price30% Off
- Raymond Loewy for Mengel Chest of Drawers and Nightstand, Black with Glass TopBy Mengel Furniture Co., Raymond LoewyLocated in DELRAY BEACH, FLSet of dresser and nightstand designed by Raymond Loewy for Mengel Furniture. Each piece features clean modernist lines that were designed well befo...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Vintage Danish Modern Chest of DrawersLocated in Los Angeles, CAAn extraordinary pair of mid-century danish chests of drawers hand-crafted out of walnut that has been fully restored by our team of craftsmen. This set of bachelor dressers...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
Formica, Wood, Walnut, Lacquer, Paint$2,906 Sale Price / set25% Off
- Mid-Century Pair of Michael Taylor for Baker DressersBy Michael TaylorLocated in Brooklyn, NYBeautifully detailed matching pair of four drawer dressers by Michael Taylor for Baker, New World collection. Stunning finish and spacious drawers add to the vintage modern appeal of...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
Brass$7,200 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Classic Italian Wardrobe in Oak with Mirrored DoorsLocated in Waalwijk, NLItalian wardrobe, oak, brass, mirrors, 1950s Luxurious wardrobe in oak with a classic and sophisticated look. The three doors are designed with elegant mirrored doors that have detailed brass elements. These patinated mirrors have a lined surface that is extended in the overall closet which emphasizes this feature further. These lined accents in the wood are highlighted with green lacquer. The veneered sides add detail to the overall construction. All doors...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Wardrobes and ArmoiresMaterials
- Chest of Drawers Art DecoLocated in Kraków, MałopolskaChest of drawers Art Deco.Category
Vintage 1930s Polish Art Deco DressersMaterials
- Pair of 1960's Mid-Century Walnut DressersLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis 1960s Pair of Mid-Century Modern Dressers has been professionally restored, is made out of mahogany wood, and has been newly stained in a black and brown color combination with ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
Steel$2,993 Sale Price / set29% Off
- Pair of Contemporary Modern Teak Captain Style Dressers by D-ScanLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis stylish pair of Campaign style dressers by D-Scan in their "Captain Line" feature rich teak finish with brass finish drawer pulls. Spacious drawer...Category
Vintage 1970s Scandinavian Modern DressersMaterials
Teak$2,560 Sale Price / set20% Off
- JENNY Large Wall Light or Sconce in Enamel & Brass by Blueprint LightingBy Blueprint Lighting, Stilnovo, Mathieu MatégotLocated in New York, NYIntroducing Jenny, the latest vintage-inspired fixture from Blueprint Lighting. Named for multi-hyphenate Jenny Mollen; NYT best-selling author, actress, design enthusiast, mom of 2 and wife of actor Jason Biggs. From our Chief Luminary, Kelly Aaron: "I have been working closely with Jenny off and on for the past year while she gives her NYC apartment a facelift--it's been so fun! She and I share a love of 1950s French design, which is obviously a hallmark of the Blueprint aesthetic. One day Jenny texted a pic of a single vintage mid-century French wall sconce she loved and asked if Blueprint could make it for her. Funny enough--I, too, had seen that same sconce the day before and already had my Creative Director/Husband figuring out how to fabricate it. How great is that?! It was meant to be!" The Jenny sconce...Category
2010s American Mid-Century Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
Brass, Bronze, Enamel, Nickel
- 21st Century Contemporary Minimal White Velvet Bench With Black Lacquered BaseLocated in Porto, PTFifih Bench is a luxury bench upholstered in velvet and wood base. A contemporary design bench is perfect for minimalist and modern interior architecture projects. Materials: Uphols...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Portuguese Modern BenchesMaterials
Velvet, Wood, Lacquer, Fabric
- John Widdicomb French Provincial Onyx Cherry DresserBy John WiddicombLocated in Morgan, UTJohn Widdicomb French Provincial Cherry six drawer dresser John Widdicomb, USA, 1960s 57 Wide x 21.5 Deep x 34.5 High. Ebo...Category
Vintage 1960s American French Provincial DressersMaterials
- John Widdicomb DresserLocated in New York, NYThis long dresser produced (and stamped) by John Widdicomb has both form and function. Lacquered in black satin, this great looking piece features two paneled center doors, opening t...Category
20th Century American Dressers$8,200
- John Widdicomb Furniture Traditional Hepplewhite Serpentine Front DresserBy John Widdicomb, Ralph WiddicombLocated in Morgan, UTJohn Widdicomb Furniture Traditional Hepplewhite Serpentine front mahogany dresser John Widdicomb Furniture Company, USA, 1940s 51 Wide...Category
Vintage 1940s American Hepplewhite DressersMaterials
- Persian Walnut Dresser by Bert England for John WiddicombBy Bert England, John WiddicombLocated in Hanover, MALuxurious nine drawer dresser in Persian walnut designed by Bert England for the John Widdicomb's Orientation Group. End doors with chunk...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Vintage French Provincial Style Chest of Drawers by John WiddicombBy John WiddicombLocated in Delray Beach, FLExceptional vintage chest of drawers by John Widdicomb. Features a light olive green painted finish. Anyone familiar with this furniture maker is aware of the exceptional quality lev...Category
Vintage 1950s American French Provincial DressersMaterials
- Five Drawers Black Lacquer Mahogany High Chest Dresser by John StuartBy Knoll, John StuartLocated in Rockaway, NJMid-Century Modern five drawers black lacquer high chest dresser by John Stuart.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery