Sophisticated Norwegian 1960s Rosewood Eight-Drawer Chest by Westnofa of Norway
About the Item
- Creator:Westnofa Furniture (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 29 in (73.66 cm)Width: 71.5 in (181.61 cm)Depth: 18 in (45.72 cm)
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1960
- Seller Location:San Francisco, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: 500821stDibs: LU79704100823
While Norway comprises something of an unsung chapter in the history of Scandinavian modernism, an export company called Westnofa shouldn’t be overlooked. It represented a collective of the country’s leading manufacturers to promote and export their furniture worldwide. Westnofa was key to the success of Norway’s mid-century designers and furniture brands, and fostered the growth of entities that might otherwise be unknown to today’s design aficionados.
Norway’s furniture factories were largely destroyed during World War II, and while the country’s sophisticated works — designed in teak, pine and other prized woods — had earned a place in Scandinavian modernism, its output was overshadowed by big names such as Alvar Aalto and Arne Jacobsen who’d earned icon status in Finland and Denmark, respectively. Westnofa, a name derived from “West Norway Factories,” took shape in the late 1950s in order to circumvent the limitations that the country’s furniture industry had faced in the areas of marketing and production. Some of the manufacturers connected to Westnofa were P.I. Langlo Møbelfabrikk, Ekornes, Stokke and Vestlandske.
Westnofa took great pains to devise the most cost-effective and efficient method of packing and shipping worldwide. Flat-pack assembly for lightweight shipping was the result. In neighboring Sweden during the late 1940s, DUX president and furniture designer Folke Ohlsson put the same idea into practice. Flat-pack assembly saved space in warehouses and money on transportation. It’s a breakthrough that survives today — namely at popular Swedish brand IKEA.
While it’s unclear if Westnofa also produced furniture in addition to exporting the goods of a group of manufacturers, some of the more well-known designers that are today mentioned alongside the company include Ingmar Relling, Torstein Nilsen and Jens Nielsen. Relling is best known for seating and his most famous piece associated with Westnofa is his high-backed Siesta chair, which features supple leather cushions atop a bentwood frame. Torstein Nilsen designed an elegant glass-topped bentwood dining table that is also commonly linked with Westnofa. Jens Nielsen created minimalist, sculptural lounge chairs in birch and plywood that are connected with the Westnofa name.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Francisco, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Quality Art Deco Rosewood and Burl Walnut 3-Drawer Chest by Irwin FurnitureBy Irwin FurnitureLocated in San Francisco, CAIrwin Furniture (1919-1953); the meticulously crafted chest with book-matched veneered rosewood rectangular top with concave front; above three similarly veneered drawers fitted with shell-form enameled pulls, centering well-figured walnut burl wood panels...Category
Vintage 1920s North American Art Deco Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Good Quality Pair of John Stuart 1960's Cherrywood 2-Drawer bedside ChestsBy John StuartLocated in San Francisco, CAeach well constructed chest fitted with 2 drawers with inset reserves and brass pulls; raised on tapering supports; drawer interiors of solid oak; John Stuart furniture labels inside...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Handsome Italian Baroque Ebonized 3-Drawer ChestLocated in San Francisco, CALikely from the Lombardy region, the rectangular top with canted corners above a conforming body fitted with 3 paneled drawers flanked by canted pilasters and paneled sides; resting ...Category
Antique 1740s Italian Bauhaus Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Handsome German Baroque Style Reverse-Serpentine Parquetry 3-Drawer ChestLocated in San Francisco, CAThe reverse-serpentine top above a conforming body fitted with 3 drawers all in a warmly-colored parquetry inlaid veneer.Category
Antique 1880s German Baroque Revival Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Louis XV Three-Drawer Black Walnut Bombe-Form ChestLocated in San Francisco, CAThe serpentine top above a bombe-form body fitted with three drawers adorned with bold bronze foliate mounts; all in a well-figured and richly patinated black walnut veneer.Category
Antique Mid-18th Century French Louis XV Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Italian Rococo Serpentine Form 2-Drawer Inlaid Chest with Marble TopLocated in San Francisco, CAThe serpentine marble top above a conforming body having two drawers fitted with foliate bronze hardware all over a scalloped apron. adorned overall with floral and foliate inlaid ol...Category
Antique Mid-18th Century Italian Rococo Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- 1960's Modern Rosewood Eight-Drawer Dresser Sideboard Chest Westnofa of NorwayBy Westnofa FurnitureLocated in Wayne, NJStunning 1960's Modern Brazilian Rosewood Eight-Drawer Dresser Sideboard Chest Westnofa Furniture Norway. The back side also is finished in R...Category
Vintage 1960s Norwegian Scandinavian Modern DressersMaterials
- 1960's Modern Rosewood Dresser Gentlemen's Tall Chest of Drawers Westnofa NorwayBy Westnofa FurnitureLocated in Wayne, NJ1960's modern rosewood dresser gentlemen's tall chest of drawers Westnofa Norway. This Item may only be shipped within the USA .Category
Vintage 1960s DressersMaterials
- Mid-Century Norwegian Modern Teak 8 Drawer Dresser Credenza by WestnofaBy Westnofa FurnitureLocated in BROOKLYN, NYBeautiful Mid-Century Norwegian modern low teak 8-drawer dresser credenza by Westnofa. Great design and great vintage condition - clean inside and out. Drawers slide smooth with dove...Category
Vintage 1960s Norwegian Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Norwegian Design Sideboard / Credenza in Rosewood by Westnofa Minimalist 1950sBy Westnofa FurnitureLocated in Ijzendijke, NLWonderful design sideboard / credenza from Norway produced and designed by the Westnofa Furniture Company in the 1950s. The sideboard has a wonderful Minimalist modern design with 4 ...Category
Vintage 1950s Norwegian Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Pair of Rosewood Tops Satin Wood Heavy Brass Ring Pulls 4-Drawer Bachelor ChestsBy Kittinger, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Rockaway, NJPair of Hollywood Regency style rosewood tops bachelor chests by Kittinger. Pair of super high quality decorative cabinets.Category
20th Century American Hollywood Regency Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Large French Bamboo Rattan and Brass Chest of Drawers, 1960sLocated in Paris, IDFNatural bamboo and rattan are the chief materials creating a summery, organic aesthetic in this 1960s French commode chest of drawers, while bright brass handles add the chic, eye-ca...Category
Vintage 1960s French Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials