- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Maple Credenza with custom made Metal Base
About the Item
- Creator:Milo Baughman (Designer),Thayer Coggin (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 34.5 in (87.63 cm)Width: 64.25 in (163.2 cm)Depth: 18.5 in (46.99 cm)
- Style:Hollywood Regency (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Additions or alterations made to the original: Custom metal base. Wear consistent with age and use. Minor imperfections on cabinet tops. Very good condition otherwise.
- Seller Location:Chattanooga, TN
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2255333191972
Milo Baughman was one of the most agile and adept modern American furniture designers of the late 20th century. A prolific lecturer and writer on the benefits of good design — he taught for years at Brigham Young University — Baughman (whose often-scrambled surname is pronounced BAWF-man) focused almost exclusively on residential furnishings, such as chairs, sofas and benches. He had a particular talent for lounge chairs, perhaps the most sociable piece of furniture.
Like his fellow adoptive Californians Charles and Ray Eames, Baughman’s furniture has a relaxed and breezy air. He was famously opposed to ostentatious and idiosyncratic designs that were made to excite attention. While many of his chair designs are enlivened by such effects as tufted upholstery, Baughman tended to let his materials carry the aesthetic weight, most often relying on seating and table frames made of sturdy and sleek flat-bar chromed metal, and chairs, tables and cabinets finished with highly-figured wood veneers.
Like his colleagues Karl Springer and the multifarious Pierre Cardin, Baughman’s designs are emblematic of the 1970s: sleek, sure and scintillating.
As you will see from the furniture presented on 1stDibs, Milo Baughman’s designs for the likes of Drexel Furniture, Glenn of California and — for five decades — Thayer Coggin are ably employed as either the heart of a décor or its focal point.
Few friendships last a lifetime, but Milo Baughman (1923–2003) and Thayer Coggin (1922–2003) were united by their desire to craft American furniture with timeless heirloom appeal. Today vintage Thayer Coggin sofas, coffee tables, alluring chrome-framed chairs and other furnishings are recognized as masterpieces of good design and remain highly sought after by collectors near and far.
Having both served in the military during World War II and coming from humble backgrounds — Coggin from Denton, North Carolina, and Baughman from Goodland, Kansas (but raised in California) — they shared a passion for simple, modern design in home furnishings. In 1953, after showing his prescient designs to a number of companies (who turned him down) in the furniture center of High Point, North Carolina, Baughman decided to pay a last-minute visit to Coggin, who had just founded his eponymous brand. After a nearly hour-long meeting in which Coggin shot out of his seat exclaiming he had never seen anything like Baughman's work, the two men shook hands. They would be friends and collaborators for the next 50 years.
Coggin let Baughman pursue his singular vision, while the Thayer Coggin company benefited from its close relationship with the ever more prominent Baughman, the manufacturer’s lead designer and an architect of California modernism who also collaborated with Drexel Furniture, Glenn of California and others during his career.
In 1968, New York Times critic Rita Reif hailed Baughman’s work for its elegance and sophistication. “With this furniture,” she wrote of his new collection, Environment 70 produced by Thayer Coggin, “who needs a decorator?” Baughman’s name became synonymous with sleekly modern, comfortable furniture the whole family could enjoy — stylish seating upholstered with impossibly cozy bouclé fabric and dashing case pieces that reflected the venturesome sensibility associated with mid-century modernism as well as the functionality of the Bauhaus.
Although its founder died in 2003, Thayer Coggin remains an esteemed family-run brand in High Point. Each item of furniture is bench-made by a single craftsperson to ensure “continuity among related pieces,” the company says, and comes in a vast array of upholstery fabrics, wood and metal finishes. Like the friendship that defined it, Thayer Coggin furniture is built to last.
Find a unique collection of new and vintage Thayer Coggin furniture today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Chattanooga, TN
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Danish Teak Credenza with Sliding Doors With Recessed PullsBy Gangsø MøblerLocated in Chattanooga, TNDanish teak credenza with sliding doors. Use this high-capacity storage solution as a TV Stand / media center or office credenza. Th...Category
Vintage 1980s Danish Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Milo Baughman Style Chevron Fabric Tufted Swivel Barrel ChairsBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Chattanooga, TNElegant pair of Milo Baughman style vintage tub chairs with swivel base. These chairs were updated some time in the early 90s with it’s current chevron ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- 1970's, Leon Rosen for Pace Burl Wood Stainless Steel CredenzaBy Leon Rosen, Pierre Cardin, Pace CollectionLocated in Chattanooga, TNPlease examine our restoration photos closely to appreciate the condition of this captivating credenza by Leon Rosen for Pace Collection. We're certain you won't find a finer example...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Renzo Rutili for John Stuart 3-Piece Checker Parquet Campaign Style CredenzaBy Renzo Rutili, John Stuart Inc., Johnson Furniture CompanyLocated in Chattanooga, TNStately. No other word best represents this exceptional Renzo Rutili credenza / dresser. The fusion of British Colonial, Far East, Regency and Modern create a distinctive harmony, rarely found in such tasteful proportions. Versatility abound. Imagine how elegant this would look in a hall entry. Both chests can be arranged in opposite positions (facing either direction) atop the solid walnut bench. Finished on both sides, these cabinets proudly showcase a stacked bay of brass accented regal drawers. Contrasting yet complimentary in their checkered parquet assemblage of various exotic wood veneers. The pulls lock in patinated brass plates that have acquired a hammered appearance over the decades. No better place to store your treasures of the Orient. Every inch was delicately restored by our in-house cabinet shop. We use a light touch to remove imperfections, without taking away any charm or patina. We restore with the intentions of maintaining authenticity and character. Our pieces look well-preserved, not "refinished". Minor imperfections may remain noticeable up-close, but the overall presentation will be estimable. We encourage you to examine our photos closely and please reach out to us with any questions or concerns. Manufactured by Johnson Furniture for John Stuart Inc. of New York and designed by Renzo Rutili. Dimensions: Overall: 67.75” Long x 20” Deep x 25.25” High Tall Chest: 33” Wide x 18.25” High Short Chest...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Original 1970's Milo Baughman Style Plaid Fabric Parsons Club Chairs by KaylynBy Thayer Coggin, Milo Baughman, Pace CollectionLocated in Chattanooga, TNJacqueline Bisset is watering her potted ferns with a yellow pail as the phone rings. She walks away from the hanging macrame pot holders to a white wick...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric$6,395 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Maitland Smith Style Post-Modern Mactan Tessellated Stone Orb Pedestal CredenzaBy Maitland Smith, Magnussen FurnitureLocated in Chattanooga, TNMactan tessellated stone buffet / credenza designed in the style of Maitland-Smith; attributed to Magnussen Ponte. The five massive, smooth, tessellated stone orbs...Category
Vintage 1980s American Hollywood Regency CredenzasMaterials
Stone$6,396 Sale Price20% Off
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Burl Wood CredenzaBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Denton, TXBurl wood covered credenza a top sturdy chrome legs that give this the appearance of floating above the floor. Interior has all the original drawers and shelves including one smoked ...Category
20th Century North American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Burl Chrome Base CredenzaBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Miami, FLMilo Baughman design burl wood credenza or sideboard. This stylish credenza has a very good quality finish. It is very high quality and well crafted. There is a beautiful burl ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Lacquer and Lucite Sideboard CredenzaBy Milo Baughman, Thayer CogginLocated in Brooklyn, NYMinimal and chic, Mid-Century Modern, sideboard or credenza by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin features a clean white lacquered double cabinet with pull-out and smoked glass interior...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Vintage Contemporary Signed Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Lucite CredenzaBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in west palm beach, FLA fantastic vintage Contemporary credenza. Made by the iconic Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin. Beautiful lucite frame with a suspended lacquered cabinet. Tagged inside the drawer. Ac...Category
Late 20th Century North American CredenzasMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Lucite Credenza Mid-Century ModernBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Boise, IDsuch a classic design great vintage condition with minor wear consistent with age and use see photos for blemishes crazing to the lacquer etc. but overall the piece is a sh...Category
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- 1970s Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Burl Wood and Chrome CredenzaBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Las Vegas, NVBeautiful vintage matched burl wood and chrome credenza by Milo Bughman for Thayer Coggin in United States, circa 1970s. This exceptional credenza stands out for the fine finishes, s...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Rooms We Love: 11 Splendid Living Rooms
Common wisdom used to declare the kitchen the hub of the house. These days, the living room seems to have assumed the role of domestic focal point. Unlike the Victorian parlor, stiffly furnished and reserved for guests, today’s living room is a central place for reading, conversation and, well, living, with furnishings that lend themselves to both casual lounging and elegant entertaining.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery