Monumental Karl Spring Goat Skin Credenza
About the Item
- Creator:Karl Springer (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 29.25 in (74.3 cm)Width: 96.25 in (244.48 cm)Depth: 18 in (45.72 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. There is a slight chip on the corner of the piece and two slight cracks on the top. The minor flaws are not noticeable under casual observation.
- Seller Location:Mt Kisco, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU897134454782
The Berlin-born, New York–based designer Karl Springer brought a chic, high-fashion sensibility to furnishings. During his heyday in the 1970s, Springer’s work was a favorite of the glamour set, who enjoyed the novelty of pieces finished in rich and striking materials that ranged from exotic hides and skins to lacquer and chromed metal. In a sense, Springer was a pre-postmodernist. Much as the dull, safe, corporate sameness of late 20th-century modernism prompted Ettore Sottsass, Michael Graves and others to explore new and provocative structures and materials in design and architecture, so, too, was Springer driven to enliven his creations with fresh and alluring energy and sleekness.
Springer came to New York in the late 1950s and found work arranging window displays at the department store Lord & Taylor. He had studied bookbinding in Germany, and, using his meticulous skills, he began crafting desk accessories wrapped in leather as a sideline. These pieces were sold in luxury stores like Bergdorf Goodman, and drew a sophisticated clientele that included the Duchess of Windsor. By 1965, he had established his own Manhattan atelier, and at his death he had showrooms as far afield as Los Angeles, Tokyo and Munich.
The chairs, tables, credenzas and other furniture forms Springer created are generally simple, but substantial, and often have robust, rounded lines. The appeal of his work lies in Springer's insistence on exacting construction and, above all, his eye for unusual materials and finishes. He employed Lucite, brass, and gunmetal along with chromed and polished steel, and revived exquisite finishes rarely seen since the days of Art Deco masters such as Émile-Jacques Ruhlmann and Jean-Michel Frank: shagreen (a type of sharkskin), python, goatskin, bone, horn, and lacquered parchment, as well as fabrics that include batik prints. Made of such materials, Springer’s work is by its very nature flamboyant and eye-catching: a suite of pieces will astonish, and an artfully placed side table in exotic hide will add a surprising spark.
Find a collection of vintage Karl Springer furniture today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Mt Kisco, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Monumental Charles Hollis Jones Lucite Coffee TableBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Mt Kisco, NYA monumental Charles Hollis Jones Lucite, chrome, and glass coffee table. The glass sits atop four very thick Lucite legs which are connected by 4 pieces of mitered chrome hardware. ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Pair of Mid Century Swedish Bent Beech Wood Hoop ChairsBy GemlaLocated in Mt Kisco, NYProduced by Gemla of Sweden with a glossy lacquered finish over beech wood with chenille seat and back cushions Priced as a pair but also available individuallyCategory
Vintage 1960s Swedish Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Gaetano Sciolari Six-Light Chandelier Gold-Plated Brass and Vertical FacetedBy Gaetano SciolariLocated in Mt Kisco, NYSix-light chandelier by Gaetano Sciolari. Gold-plated brass and vertical faceted crystals. The sculptural forms and striking geometric details of his chandeliers and other fixtures f...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
Crystal, Gold Plate, Brass
- Green Murano Glass Palmettes Chandelier in the Style of Barovier e TosoBy Barovier&TosoLocated in Mt Kisco, NYA must have for a magnificent focal point! This chandelier features more than 150 handmade textured green Murano glass palmettes all resting on a structurally beautiful five tier han...Category
1990s Italian Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Italian Mid-Century Modern Six-Arm Chandelier Designed by Gaetano SciolariBy Gaetano SciolariLocated in Mt Kisco, NYA modernist design chrome-plated steel hanging chandelier finished with white enamel detailing to the interior of the arms. All wiring is new, and for U.S. standards. The original ch...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern Italian Glass and Metal Wall LightsLocated in Mt Kisco, NYA pair of wall light or sconces of steel and gold tone metal with amber glass globes. Newly wired for the US with a chrome backing plate added. Pictured ...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- Monumental Sized Karl Springer Goatskin Credenza with COABy Karl SpringerLocated in Culver City, CAThis piece is absolutely stunning!! A monumentally large Karl Springer custom angular credenza in a creamy, ultra luxurious goatskin. The goat skin hides on the front have a wonderfully matched curvy seem that is just stunning. This dreamy credenza would be an impressive addition to any dining room, living-room console or entry piece and would effortlessly flex into even a more business or industrial environment. We currently have this piece in our gallery paired with a set of Vladimir Kagan serpentine sofas with a Paul Evans coffee table and a Gabriella Crespi console...Category
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Faux Lacquered Goat Skin Credenza, 1970sBy Karl SpringerLocated in Philadelphia, PA- Measures : 31.5"h, 90"w, 18"d - Faux lacquered off-white goat skin credenza - In the style of Karl Springer circa 1970s - Condition: Good; fin...Category
Vintage 1970s Unknown Regency CredenzasMaterials
- Karl Springer Style Midcentury Faux Snakeskin CredenzaBy Karl SpringerLocated in Countryside, ILKarl Springer Style midcentury faux snakeskin credenza. This credenza measures: 80.5 wide x 20 deep x 31.75 inches high All pieces of furniture can be had in what we call resto...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Lacquered Goatskin Parchment Credenza by Karl SpringerBy Karl SpringerLocated in Palm Springs, CA1980’s goatskin parchment lacquered credenza by Karl Springer. In amazing vintage condition shows minor wear consistent with age. Constructed of wood covered with a grayish tan g...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern CredenzasMaterials
Wood, Lacquer, Parchment Paper
- 1980s Pink Karl Springer Style Rounded Credenza SideboardBy Karl SpringerLocated in Bensalem, PAStunning pink lacquered & formica rounded edge sideboard with chrome accents in the manner of Karl SpringerCategory
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Karl Springer Style Grass Cloth CredenzaBy Karl SpringerLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis beautiful vintage modern sideboard features three cabinet doors with unique brass pulls that open up to unveil large compartments with shelves. Unusual design covered in grass cloth with stylish brass trim wrapping around the underside of the raised top. This fabulous midcentury case piece has a sturdy base with curved sides functioning as the legs. Versatile piece with plenty of room for storage inside with adjustable shelves and a smooth white interior. This one of a kind Karl Springer style...Category
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery