Items Similar to 19th Century Scandinavian Birch Empire Bureau Secretary with Bookcase, c. 1820 View More
19th Century Scandinavian Birch Empire Bureau Secretary with Bookcase, c. 1820
A very fine Scandinavian Empire/Biedermeier secretary in beautiful birch wood with mahogany interior, Denmark, circa 1820. The highly sculptural form makes this piece an outstanding statement of refinement and elegance! The cylinder top opens to a pull-out desk whose interior is in fine West Indies mahogany which offers an adjustable blue leather-lined lectern or writing surface flanked by sliding storage compartments, as well as a series of small interior drawers around a central cabinet. Above the desk, are three cupboards with bowed doors, the central one featuring a carved bonnet reminiscent of the officers' hats of the period. Below the pull-out desk drawer, there are three long storage drawers. This exquisite secretary would make a wonderful anchor in a living room, library, bedroom or hall alcove! Measures: 48" wide x 24" deep x 84" high, 30" deep when writing surface is pulled out; writing surface is 30.5" off the floor.
- Of the Period
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1820
- Materials and TechniquesPolishedBirch
- Condition DetailsOriginal polished finish, original key plates and interior knobs, some veneer restoration, beautiful old patina, not overly restored
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 84 in. x W 48 in. x D 24 in.H 213.36 cm x W 121.92 cm x D 60.96 cm
- Seller LocationMiami, FL
- Seller Reference NumberSEC00166
- Reference NumberLU98818801553
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexityShipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 3 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2013
Located in Miami, FL
More From This Seller
19th Century Venetian Secretary Bookcase with P...
Antique Late 19th Century Italian Baroque Secretaires
A very lovely painted green and yellow Italian fall-front secretary bookcase in the Venetian Baroque style with arched doors painted with 18th century-style scenes with figures in a ...
North German Empire/Biedermeier Cylinder-Top Se...
Antique 19th Century German Empire Secretaires
A lovely Empire secretary with bookcase in ash with inlays and marquetry silhouettes of neoclassical Roman images. Cylinder top opens to a pull-out desk which offers a felt-lined lec...
Early 19th Century Scandinavian Empire Fall-Front Secretary in Mahogany, c. 1825
$7,000 Sale Price
Early 19th Century Scandinavian Empire Fall-Fro...
Antique 1820s Danish Empire Secretaires
Mother-of-Pearl, Mahogany, Rosewood, Satinwood
An extremely handsome secretary in fine West Indies mahogany with pedestal top above top drawer, and a birch inlaid drop-front opening to a desk with a long open storage area for pap...
Louis XVI Secretary with Cylinder Top & Tambour...
Antique Early 19th Century European Louis XVI Desks
Leather, Mahogany, Satinwood
A Louis XVI secretary desk in mahogany with satinwood inlays. Offers a cylinder top that opens to reveal a series of small drawers surrounding a closed cubby by pulling on the writin...