Michael Taylor for Baker Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie Burled Walnut Sideboard
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Michael Taylor for Baker Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie Burled Walnut Sideboard
- CreatorBaker Furniture Company (Manufacturer),Michael Taylor (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 33 in (83.82 cm)Width: 60 in (152.4 cm)Depth: 19 in (48.26 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1970s
- ConditionVery good original vintage condition. Minor surface wear expected with age and use.
- Seller LocationSouth Bend, IN
- Reference NumberSeller: 94621stDibs: LU2745331724312
About the Manufacturer
Baker Furniture Company
Owing to the company’s collaborations with many leading designers and artists over time, vintage Baker furniture is consistently sought after today. The heritage brand’s chairs, dining tables, desks and other pieces are widely known to collectors and design enthusiasts for their fine craftsmanship and durability.
Within a few decades of its launch, Baker Furniture Company evolved into one of the largest and most important furniture manufacturers in the United States, and became known for its high-quality production standards. Siebe Baker and business partner Henry Cook founded the original iteration of Baker Furniture Company in 1890 in Allegan, Michigan, after immigrating to the United States from the Netherlands. Allegan is a small town west of Grand Rapids, which, at that time was home to Widdicomb Furniture Co. and more and was known as America’s furniture capital. The company manufactured doors and interior moldings, and introduced a combination desk and bookcase in 1893. In the early 1900s, Siebe became sole owner of the business.
Among others, stage designer Joseph Urban and modernist designer Kem Weber contributed designs to Baker in the 1920s. In 1932, under the leadership of Siebe’s son, Hollis, who started at the company as a salesman but took the reins when his father passed in 1925, Baker Furniture introduced bedroom pieces and debuted its Manor House collection, which made reproductions of European furnishings available to the American market. (Hollis was an avid traveler and procured antiques overseas for the company to reproduce in the United States.) Soon, Baker Furniture Company moved to Holland, Michigan, and eventually opened showrooms in Grand Rapids and elsewhere.
Pioneering Scandinavian designer Finn Juhl created a Danish modern line for Baker in 1951, and the company produced his award-winning Chieftain chair for a short time. In the late 1950s, Baker introduced the Milling Road label to reach a younger audience with stylish but less costly furnishings like console tables, walnut dining chairs and more, and in 1961, British furniture designer T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings introduced a modern neoclassical line at Baker.
The 1960s and ’70s saw the introduction of historic reproduction furniture lines such as Woburn Abbey and the Historic Charleston collection, which remain very popular to this day. In 1990, Baker was licensed to produce a furniture line from Colonial Williamsburg. That same year, the Smithsonian Museum introduced Baker’s Chippendale chair into its permanent collection and the Grand Rapids Art Museum dedicated an exhibition to Baker’s 100-year anniversary, a showcase that included 150 pieces of furniture Siebe Baker had collected as part of a larger assortment that had served as inspiration for his designs.
Today, vintage Baker furniture, such as its elegant mahogany nightstands and teak credenzas — particularly those crafted by Finn Juhl — sees high demand online and elsewhere. The company continues to produce contemporary collections with well-known designers such as Bill Sofield, Barbara Barry and Kara Mann and remains on par with some of the highest quality furniture in the industry.
Browse vintage Baker armchairs, sofas, coffee tables and more on 1stDibs.
- Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture Walnut Credenza or Bar Cabinet, RefinishedBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in South Bend, INAn exceptional Mid-Century Modern sideboard, credenza, or bar cabinet by Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture. USA, 1960s Stunning book-matched walnut, with recessed handles, ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Michael Taylor for Baker Hollywood Regency Cherry Wood and Brass DresserBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous mid-century modern Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie seven-drawer long dresser or credenza By Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture, "Far East Collection" USA, Circa 1970s ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture Chinoiserie Elm Wood Sideboard or Bar CabinetBy Michael Taylor, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous Mid-Century Modern Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie sideboard buffet or bar cabinet By Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture USA, Circa 1970s Carved solid elm wood, wit...Category
Vintage 1970s American Chinoiserie SideboardsMaterials
- Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie NightstandsBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous pair of mid-century modern Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie nightstands By Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture USA, Circa 1970s ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie Console TableBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous midcentury Hollywood Regency chinoiserie console table or sofa table By Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture, "Far East Collection" USA, Circa 1960s Carved walnut, ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Console TablesMaterials
- Michael Taylor for Baker Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie Console or Altar TableBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in South Bend, INMid-Century Modern chinoiserie console or altar table Designed by Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture USA, circa 1960s Carved walnut + burl Measures: 40.25"W x 16"D x 28.3...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Console TablesMaterials
- Michael Taylor for Baker Mid Century Far East Buffet CredenzaBy Michael Taylor, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Countryside, ILMichael Taylor for Baker Mid Century Far East Buffet credenza This credenza measures: 69.5 wide x 19.25 deep x 33 inches high All pieces of furniture can be had in what we call...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Michael Taylor Asian Credenza by Baker, 20th CenturyBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in Hamburg, PAAn elegant Baker Credenza or sideboard in the manner of Michael Taylor. This Asian-style cabinet has beautiful brass accents and hardware. The credenza has a warm walnut finish with ...Category
20th Century American Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Asian Chinoiserie Style Baker Walnut Sideboard Credenza ConsoleBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in West Hartford, CTAsian style sideboard credenza cabinet by Baker Furniture features Asian style brass pulls and hardware. It offers plenty of storage and featu...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie CredenzasMaterials
- Regency Style Baker Furniture Credenza by Michael VanderbylBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael VanderbylLocated in Peabody, MAA modern regency sideboard designed by Michael Vanderbyl for Baker Furniture, ca. early 1990s.Category
1990s American Regency SideboardsMaterials
Mahogany$2,895 Sale Price21% Off
- Michael Taylor for Baker New World Mahogany CabinetBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in Chicago, ILMichael Taylor for Baker New World ebonized cabinet with three natural mahogany sliding doors. Radius edge casement, recessed pan...Category
Vintage 1950s American SideboardsMaterials
- Michael Taylor "Far East" Credenza by BakerBy Baker Furniture Company, Michael TaylorLocated in Highland, INA great design in fantastic original condition, this Michael Taylor credenza by Baker Furniture is part of his "Far East" design which incorporates Asian motifs in the designs. The b...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery