- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Gio Ponti Drop-Leaf "Apta" Table
About the Item
- Creator:Gio Ponti (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 29.5 in (74.93 cm)Diameter: 48 in (121.92 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:Wood,Lacquered
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1970
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:San Francisco, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: A18801stDibs: LU90864643183
Ponti (1891–1979) designed thousands of furnishings and products — from cabinets, lamps and chairs to ceramics and coffeemakers — and his buildings, including the brawny Pirelli Tower (1956) in his native Milan, and the castle-like Denver Art Museum (1971), were erected in 14 countries. Through Domus, the magazine he founded in 1928, Ponti brought attention to virtually every significant movement and creator in the spheres of modern art and design.
The questing intelligence Ponti brought to Domus is reflected in his work: as protean as he was prolific, Ponti’s style can’t be pegged to a specific genre. In the 1920s, as artistic director for the Tuscan porcelain maker Richard Ginori, he fused old and new; his ceramic forms were modern, but decorated with motifs from Roman antiquity. In pre-war Italy, modernist design was encouraged, and after the conflict, Ponti — along with designers such as Carlo Mollino, Franco Albini, Marco Zanuso — found a receptive audience for their novel, idiosyncratic work. Ponti’s typical furniture forms from the period, such as the wedge-shaped Distex chair, are simple, gently angular, and colorful; equally elegant and functional. In the 1960s and ’70s, Ponti’s style evolved again as he explored biomorphic shapes, and embraced the expressive, experimental designs of Ettore Sottsass Jr., Joe Colombo and others.
His signature furniture piece — the one by which he is represented in the collections of the Museum of Modern Art in New York, Germany’s Vitra Design Museum and elsewhere — is the sleek Superleggera chair, produced by Cassina starting in 1957. (The name translates as “superlightweight” — advertisements featured a model lifting it with one finger.) Ponti had a playful side, best shown in a collaboration he began in the late 1940s with the graphic artist Piero Fornasetti. Ponti furnishings were decorated with bright finishes and Fornasetti's whimsical lithographic transfer prints of things such as butterflies, birds or flowers; the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts possesses a 1950 secretary from their Architetturra series, which feature case pieces covered in images of building interiors and facades. The grandest project Ponti and Fornasetti undertook, however, lies on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean: the interiors of the luxury liner Andrea Doria, which sank in 1956.
Widely praised retrospectives at the Queens Museum of Art in 2001 and at the Design Museum London in 2002 sparked a renewed interest in Ponti among modern design aficionados. (Marco Romanelli’s monograph written for the London show, offers a fine overview of Ponti’s work.) Today, a wide array of Ponti’s designs are snapped up by savvy collectors who want to give their homes a touch of Italian panache and effortless chic.
Find a range of Gio Ponti furniture on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Francisco, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Phillip Lloyd Powell Drop-Leaf Dining TableBy Phillip Lloyd PowellLocated in San Francisco, CAAn extremely rare dining table by Lloyd Powell. Walnut with drop-leaf sides that feature inlays of stone.Category
Vintage 1960s American American Craftsman Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Gio Ponti "Dezza" SetteeBy Gio PontiLocated in San Francisco, CAA "Dezza" settee designed by Gio Ponti and produced by Poltrona Frau. Cushions covered in ivory wool flannel (down fill,) rosewood frame in matching leather with brass fittings. Mode...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Pair of Gio Ponti ChairsBy Gio PontiLocated in San Francisco, CAA rare pair of Gio Ponti attributed lounge chairs with brass supports and down filled seat cushions. Lovingly restored, and covered in a luxurious Sandra Jordan Prima Alpaca fabric. ...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Brass$7,500 / item
- Leggera Chairs by Gio Ponti for CassinaBy Gio PontiLocated in San Francisco, CAA set of 6 Leggera chairs by Gio Ponti for Cassina retaining the original labels. The seats have been upholstered in a deep red faux leather and the ash is in a medium tone. Note: Ch...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Faux Leather, Ash$4,000 / set
- Leggera Chairs by Gio Ponti for CassinaBy Gio PontiLocated in San Francisco, CAA set of 12 Leggera chairs by Gio Ponti for Cassina retaining the original labels. Seats have been upholstered in an orange faux leather and the frames are in a light ash. Note: Chai...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Faux Leather, Ash$3,500 / set
- Pair of Fireside Chairs by Gio PontiLocated in San Francisco, CAA pair of fireside chairs by Gio Ponti in walnut retaining the original handwoven rush seats. Manufactured by Casa e Giardino.Category
Vintage 1930s Italian Modern ChairsMaterials
Walnut$10,000 / set
- Extremely Rare, Philippe Pradalie 'Berceau Fleur', for 'Atelier A, 'Paris ,1970By Philippe Pradalie, Atelier A, Atelier ALocated in bergen op zoom, NLDelightful 'Berceau Fleur' (flower cradle) by French artist Philippe Pradalie ,produced by artist collective,' Atelier A', Paris 1970 Pradalie's 'Berceau Fleur' cradle is one of t...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Children's FurnitureMaterials
- Frank Gehry “Face Off” Wood Top Dining TableBy Frank GehryLocated in San Francisco, CAFrank Gehry “Face Off” wood top dining table A 40? diameter wood top dining table by Frank Gehry for Knoll made of interwoven strips of maple. Stamped, numbered & signed on the bottom.Category
1990s American Post-Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Gio Ponti Sculptural Veined Ash Dining Table or Desk, circa 1950, ItalyBy Gio PontiLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis incredible dining table by Gio Ponti, which also would serve excellently as a desk, has been reviewed by the Gio Ponti archives and a COE (Certificate of Expertise) was created ...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Brass$9,700 Sale Price30% Off
- Salvador Dali Surrealist 'Salivasofa' Unique Prototype Red Lips SofaBy BD Barcelona Design, Salvador DalíLocated in Barcelona, BarcelonaSalivasofá: First prototype sofa designed by Salvador Dalí & Oscar Tusquets, 1972. The measurements are: 175 x 110 x 80 cm Comes with a Certificate of Authenticity signed by Oscar...Category
Vintage 1970s Spanish Modern SofasMaterials
Foam$351,791 Sale Price20% Off
- Gio Ponti Bookcases, Unique Piece, Italy, circa 1940By Gio Ponti, Fontana ArteLocated in Dubai, AEGio Ponti Library from the private residence of an Italian collector A certificate of expertise from the Gio Ponti archives is provided. Walnut, silk, glass Handles by Fontana Ar...Category
Vintage 1940s Italian Mid-Century Modern BookcasesMaterials
Fabric, Walnut, Lacquer
- Irish Drop-Leaf TableLocated in New York, NYIrish mahogany drop-leaf table. Measure: With leafs down, 21" deep closed.Category
Antique 19th Century Irish Drop-leaf and Pembroke TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Drop-Leaf Dining TableLocated in Brooklyn, NYGorgeous vintage modern walnut wood table. This table features two drop leaves as well as one leaf that can be inserted in the middle for maximum seating. Box joints at the legs add ...Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Walnut$1,920 Sale Price20% Off
- Drop-Leaf Table by Edward WormleyBy Edward WormleyLocated in Sagaponack, NYA mahogany drop-leaf table with ebonized gate-leg base. Measures: Console table depth of 16.5" deep when closed.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Drop-Leaf TableLocated in Brooklyn, NYOdd Mid-Century Modern one sided drop leaf table featured in walnut wood grain, tapered legs. (Please confirm item location - NY or NJ - with dealer).Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Drop-leaf and Pembroke TablesMaterials
- Unique Oval Drop Leaf Dining TableLocated in South Charleston, WVThis gorgeous dining table was given a splash of brass inlay with a geometric pattern and entirely refinished with lacquer. The wood is a birch and the gate legs open to 2 possible p...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Nakashima For Widdicomb Drop Leaf TableBy Widdicomb Furniture Co.Located in Brooklyn, NYMid-Century Modern dining table designed by George Nakashima for the “Origins” collection manufactured by Widdicomb Furniture, circa 1950s. Simple and elegant design features a free ...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Barnaba Fornasetti’s Hallucinatory House Has His Father’s Spirit
Behind a nondescript facade in northeastern Milan is the magical residence of Barnaba Fornasetti. It's a shrine to the style developed by his design-legend father, which still defies categorization.
Billy Cotton Layers His Interiors with Lived-In Comfort
The Brooklyn-based designer is adept at styles ranging from austere to over-the-top, espousing an architectural, detail-oriented approach also evident in his line of furniture and lighting.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery