Baker Furniture Pedestal Games Table with Craquelure Finish
About the Item
- Creator:Baker Furniture Company (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 26.25 in (66.68 cm)Diameter: 40 in (101.6 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1980s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Very good original condition.
- Seller Location:Chicago, IL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU841921740312
Baker Furniture Company
Owing to the company’s collaborations with many leading designers and artists over time, vintage Baker furniture is consistently sought after today. The heritage brand’s chairs, dining tables, desks and other pieces are widely known to collectors and design enthusiasts for their fine craftsmanship and durability.
Within a few decades of its launch, Baker Furniture Company evolved into one of the largest and most important furniture manufacturers in the United States, and became known for its high-quality production standards. Siebe Baker and business partner Henry Cook founded the original iteration of Baker Furniture Company in 1890 in Allegan, Michigan, after immigrating to the United States from the Netherlands. Allegan is a small town west of Grand Rapids, which, at that time was home to Widdicomb Furniture Co. and more and was known as America’s furniture capital. The company manufactured doors and interior moldings, and introduced a combination desk and bookcase in 1893. In the early 1900s, Siebe became sole owner of the business.
Among others, stage designer Joseph Urban and modernist designer Kem Weber contributed designs to Baker in the 1920s. In 1932, under the leadership of Siebe’s son, Hollis, who started at the company as a salesman but took the reins when his father passed in 1925, Baker Furniture introduced bedroom pieces and debuted its Manor House collection, which made reproductions of European furnishings available to the American market. (Hollis was an avid traveler and procured antiques overseas for the company to reproduce in the United States.) Soon, Baker Furniture Company moved to Holland, Michigan, and eventually opened showrooms in Grand Rapids and elsewhere.
Pioneering Scandinavian designer Finn Juhl created a Danish modern line for Baker in 1951, and the company produced his award-winning Chieftain chair for a short time. In the late 1950s, Baker introduced the Milling Road label to reach a younger audience with stylish but less costly furnishings like console tables, walnut dining chairs and more, and in 1961, British furniture designer T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings introduced a modern neoclassical line at Baker.
The 1960s and ’70s saw the introduction of historic reproduction furniture lines such as Woburn Abbey and the Historic Charleston collection, which remain very popular to this day. In 1990, Baker was licensed to produce a furniture line from Colonial Williamsburg. That same year, the Smithsonian Museum introduced Baker’s Chippendale chair into its permanent collection and the Grand Rapids Art Museum dedicated an exhibition to Baker’s 100-year anniversary, a showcase that included 150 pieces of furniture Siebe Baker had collected as part of a larger assortment that had served as inspiration for his designs.
Today, vintage Baker furniture, such as its elegant mahogany nightstands and teak credenzas — particularly those crafted by Finn Juhl — sees high demand online and elsewhere. The company continues to produce contemporary collections with well-known designers such as Bill Sofield, Barbara Barry and Kara Mann and remains on par with some of the highest quality furniture in the industry.
Browse vintage Baker armchairs, sofas, coffee tables and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Chicago, IL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- John Widdicomb Burl Walnut and Sunburst Travertine Game Table with Brass InlayBy John WiddicombLocated in Chicago, ILElegant travertine and burl walnut game table by John Widdicomb. Octagonal base is banded with brass and veneered with beautifully grained burl walnut. The top is travertine over woo...Category
Vintage 1960s American Game TablesMaterials
- Bronze Drum-Form Games or Dining Table Base with Greek Key DesignLocated in Chicago, ILUnexpected bronze-plated drum table base with Greek key design. Six legs come together with the repeated V-shape bronze plated iron bar supports. Top a...Category
Vintage 1960s American Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Lorin Jackson for Drexel Reverse Quatrefoil Base Pedestal TableBy Drexel, Lorin JacksonLocated in Chicago, ILWalnut pedestal dining table with reverse quatrefoil base, designed by Lorin Jackson & Lee Stone for Drexel. Jackson is best known for his designs for Grosfe...Category
Vintage 1960s American Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Game Table With Carved & Limed Organic Form Wood BaseLocated in Chicago, ILOrganically inspired carved and whitewashed wood game table with an incised border maple top. Could also make an uncommon petite dining table.Category
Late 20th Century American Game Tables
- Bernhard Rohne for Mastercraft Acid Etched Brass Hexagonal Pedestal TableBy Bernhard Rohne, MastercraftLocated in Chicago, ILArtistic Mastercraft hexagonal pedestal table base finished in brass corners and Bernhard Rohne acid etched panels mounted to a wood frame. Th...Category
Vintage 1970s American Dining Room TablesMaterials
Glass$3,800 Sale Price20% Off
- Postmodern Tessellated Fossil Stone Game TableLocated in Chicago, ILTessellated fossil stone game table after designs by Karl Springer. Radius corner legs with unexpected double incisions, thick table surround ...Category
Vintage 1970s Philippine Game TablesMaterials
- French Mahogany Games Table with Marble Top and Brass GalleryLocated in Stamford, CTHandsome large scale 19th century Louis XVI style French games table in mahogany with marble top surrounded by a pierced brass gallery. Two drawers and two leather covered slides for...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century French Louis Philippe Center TablesMaterials
- Mid-Century Games Table by Baker Furniture C.1970sLocated in San Francisco, CAMid-century games table by Baker Furniture c.1970s. Fine games table with extending drink trays at each corner. These can also be used for ashtrays, game piece, etc. The leathe...Category
Mid-20th Century North American Game TablesMaterials
- Bespoke Round Table with Polyurethane Color Black Finish by P. TendercoolBy Pieter Compernol & Stephanie GrusenmeyerLocated in Bangkok, THModel: FTOP-PT12R Top: Reclaimed hardwood Top finish: Polyurethane color black Base: Sand Cast Brass Base finish: Black Dimensions: R 130 x 72 cm. (W x D x H) R 47.27 x 26.2 inch. P...Category
2010s Thai Minimalist Center TablesMaterials
- 19th Century English Kingwood Specimen Games Centre TableLocated in Dublin, IEAn Exceptional 19th century specimen table, constructed in Kingwood and Gonzalo alves, with the rectangular top centred by a specimen marbl...Category
Antique 19th Century English Louis XV Game TablesMaterials
- Baker Furniture Stately Homes Adam Style Satinwood Inlaid Pembroke Games TableBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in South Bend, INA rare and exceptional Adam satinwood and inlaid pembroke games table from the exclusive Stately Homes Collection by Baker Furniture. Featuring a sliding panel to the top reversing as an inlaid chessboard revealing a sunken backgammon compartment, with two dummy drawers in the curved frieze on square finely tapered legs cornered with mahogany terminating in unusual brass ferrules and casters, with swan neck brass handles. The table is in very good original condition. A statement piece of the highest quality and craftsmanship. Original Baker and Stately Homes labels are present. Provenance: His Grace the Duke of Hamilton...Category
Vintage 1980s American Adam Style Game TablesMaterials
- Dos Gallos Custom Walnut Square Top Pedestal TableBy Dos Gallos StudioLocated in Los Angeles, CACustom beehive pedestal table with square top and 6 inch radius corners. Top is 1 7/8 inches thick. Can be custom-made in oak, mahogany or walnut in custom sizes and finishes. As sho...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American American Classical Game TablesMaterials
Walnut$14,100 / item
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery