Items Similar to George Peck Monochromatic Painting
1 of 10
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
George Peck Monochromatic Painting
Elegant, intensive and technically accomplished monochromatic painting consisting of several dozen subtly variegated layers of smoothly troweled oil paint on a glassine gesso surface over a convex plywood framework and stretched canvas. By Hungarian/American artist George Peck, titled "Yellow Painting," and signed and dated 1977. A student of Josef Albers at Yale in the mid-1960s, Peck developed his own minimalist style in the mid-1970s that imbued the works with pictorial illusion and strong physicality. The horizontal stripes in the present work, reminiscent of Lucio Fontana, appear concave or convex, receding into or projecting from the bent surface, which manipulates light differently than a flat canvas. Peck has an extensive resume, with works in museums such as the Met, the Brooklyn Museum, the High Art Gallery, and MoMA Stockholm. He was included in a 1979 show at the Susan Caldwell Gallery in New York and the University of Chicago titled "In the Realm of the Monochromatic," alongside Tony De Lap, Robert Mangold, Milton Resnick, Robert Ryman, and Jerry Zeniuk. He was also the subject of a 2002 retrospective at the Kiscelli Museum in his native Hungary, and an accompanying catalog titled "George Peck: Layered Time, Layered Paint." The present work was apparently included in this museum show (see attached image).
- CreatorGeorge Peck (Artist)
- Of the Period
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1977
- Materials and Techniques
- Condition DetailsFine overall condition with some very minor losses to the edges that overlap the canvas and minor wear consistent with age.
- WearWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses.
- DimensionsH 60 in. x W 48 in. x D 6 in.H 152.4 cm x W 121.92 cm x D 15.24 cm
- Seller LocationNew York, NY
- Reference NumberLU82857803143
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
4.8 / 5
Our team of world-class specialists approve every seller on 1stdibs.
This distinction is for experienced sellers who continually surpass customer expectations.
This designation is for sellers whose items consistently exemplify the best of 1stdibs.
This seller is a vetted member of professional associations.
1stdibs seller since 2007
Typical response time: 4 hours
Located in New York, NY
More From This Seller
Masaaki Kusumoto Geometric Abstract Painting
Vintage 1960s Japanese Minimalist
Massive Terri Priest Five-Panel Painting "Static Variations"
Vintage 1970s American Minimalist
Adja Yunkers Expressionist Painting
Vintage 1950s American Expressionist
You May Also Like
Monochromatic Abstract Floral Painting
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern
Monochromatic Diptych Painting by Elen Feinberg
21st Century and Contemporary American
"Pecking Order" 19th Century English Painting of Farm Animals by William Huggins
Antique Mid-19th Century English Early Victorian
Japanese Monochromatic Four-Panel Bamboo Screen
20th Century Japanese Showa
Silk, Wood, Paper
George Matchabelli Portrait Oil Painting
Early 20th Century American