- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 21
Joseph Raffaele, Abstract Oil on Canvas, 1958
Large abstract modernist oil on canvas painting by Joseph Raffaele / Raffael (born 1933) from his first solo exhibition at Kanegis Gallery, Newbury St. Boston in November 1958. Concurrently Raffaele had left for Italy on a two year Fulbright scholarship to Florence and Rome. Signed on back of stretcher. Remains of Kanegis label. Marked 119. 49-7/8” X 41-1/2” canvas inside frame not including a 1” silvered wood frame. This painting has been in the collection of a Boston architect since the late 1950's. Rare example of this artist's earliest work. Joseph Raffael Born in Brooklyn, New York, 22 February 1933 Joseph was the youngest of three children and the only son of Sicilian and Swiss-Irish parents, Joseph Marino Raffaele and Cora Kaelin Raffaele. He became interested in drawing at age 7, and spent his high school years taking classes at the nearby Brooklyn Museum. From 1951-54, he attended Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art in New York City, along with fellow students R.B. Kitaj and Paul Thek. Upon graduation from Cooper Union, Raffael received a fellowship to the Yale Summer School of Art and Music in Norfolk, Connecticut. Through the support of his instructor Bernard Chaet, Raffael was awarded a scholarship to the Yale School of Art, where he studied color and drawing with Josef Albers and received his BFA in 1956. Instead of pursuing a master's degree, he moved to NY to become a painter, where he worked freelance part-time at Jack Prince Textile Studio, alongside Carolyn Brady, Audrey Flack, and others, while working nights and weekends on his paintings. In 1958, he won a Fulbright fellowship to study for two years in Florence and Rome, and began painting complexly colored watercolors of flower forms. He mounted his first New York exhibition of his Umbrian watercolors in 1963, at the d’Arcy Galleries, while at the same time battling hepatitis from which he almost died; when he recovered, he shifted to "real life" images based on photographs. Raffael’s distinctively original art has earned critical praise ever since the mid-60s, while he was living in New York City and, later, in Marin County, California. During this period, his circle of artist friends in New York included the British photorealist Malcolm Morley, the painter Don Nice, the writer Linda Rosenkrantz, the photographer Peter Hujar and, in California, the artist William T. Wiley. In the United States, Joseph Raffael is represented by the Nancy Hoffman Gallery in New York.
- CreatorJoseph Raffaele (Artist)
- DimensionsHeight: 50.75 in. (128.91 cm)Width: 42.5 in. (107.95 cm)Depth: 1 in. (2.54 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1958
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. A few marks and one tiny hole to canvas.
- Seller LocationHingham, MA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU886623230082
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Hingham, MA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Seller
Located in Hingham, MA
4.9 / 5
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 2008
1stDibs seller since 2010
597 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 1 hour
More From This Seller
- By Joseph Benjamin DavolLocated in Hingham, MA"A Breezy Morning" Ogunquit, Maine by Joseph Benjamin Davol. Davol, (August 25, 1864 - June 15, 1923) was an ...Category
Early 20th Century American Beaux Arts PaintingsMaterials
- By Jessica Scott-FelderLocated in Hingham, MA11 foot by 9 foot frame stretched charcoal on canvas painting by Jessica Scott-Felder titled "Accent" 2009. Je...Category
Early 2000s American Modern PaintingsMaterials
- Located in Hingham, MADesigned to be hung on the diagonal or square this painting by Marguerite Abdun-Nabi shows her playful use of co...Category
20th Century American Modern Paintings
- Located in Hingham, MAUnique and sculptural butterfly form presents as an abstract geometric diptych. Can be hung horizontally or ver...Category
Late 20th Century American Modern PaintingsMaterials
- By Bruno SantiniLocated in Hingham, MAEnameled copper sheet mounted on canvas wrapped board with a painting depicting the harlequin style costume of a...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Wall-mounted Sculptures
- By Jean Wechsler KnappLocated in Hingham, MABoston Expressionist fresco painting of an angel playing a curved horn within a key pattern on a cast concrete s...Category
Vintage 1950s American Expressionist PaintingsMaterials
You May Also Like
Joseph Halevi Oil on Canvas
Located in Philadelphia, PA
Joseph Halevi oil on canvas figurative abstract painting. Mustards and yellows make up the color pallet of the painting. Painting dates to the early 1960s.
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Paintings
Oil on Canvas by Joseph Farington
By Joseph Farington
Located in Palm Beach, FL
Joseph Farington, RA, (British, 1747-1821) A couple contemplating castle ruins in a romantic landscape Appears unsigned, with the original inscribed cartouche shaped signatu...
Antique Early 1800s Paintings
Abstract Acrylic Oil on Canvas
Located in Norwalk, CT
This whimsical abstract acrylic and oil on canvas is titled "The Big Shift." Indistinctly signed and dated. This large painting will definitely make an impression and would be a fun ...
Late 20th Century Mid-Century Modern Paintings
$760 Sale Price
Midcentury Abstract Oil on Canvas
Located in Houston, TX
Great midcentury abstract oil painting on canvas. This well painted contemporary canvas is even more gorgeous in person.
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Paintings
$1,700 Sale Price
Abstract Oil on Canvas, Signed
By Jan Yilch
Located in National City, CA
For your consideration an abstract oil canvas mounted in original frame. Signed in the back. Jan Yilch 1966? Frame 19" W x 13" H. Canvas 17 1/2" x 11 1/2" H.
Vintage 1960s Czech Mid-Century Modern Paintings
1960s Abstract Oil on Canvas
By Jackson Pollock
Located in Philadelphia, PA
Abstract oil on canvas. Probably from the 1950s or 1960s. Great look and colors. Repairs to back, really hard to see any repair from the front! Signed bottom right. Silver leaf frame...
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Paintings
Joseph De Martini, Oil on Canvas, circa 1942
By Joseph De Martini
Located in New York, NY
Joseph De Martini was born in mobile, Alabama, but spent most of his childhood in Hoboken, New Jersey. The son of a fisherman, De Martini was educated only as far as grammar school, ...
Vintage 1940s American Modern Paintings
Oil on Canvas Abstract Impressionist
Located in Dallas, TX
Oil on canvas abstract impressionist Measures: 76 3/4" x 63".
21st Century and Contemporary North American Organic Modern Paintings
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery