Larry Rivers Color Lithograph, "Nine French Bank Notes"
About the Item
- Creator:Larry Rivers (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 41 in (104.14 cm)Width: 33 in (83.82 cm)Depth: 2 in (5.08 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Date of Manufacture:1963-64
- Seller Location:Toledo, OH
- Reference Number:Seller: KB3291801stDibs: LU1658236059472
Figurative artist Larry Rivers was born in the Bronx in 1923 to Ukrainian Jewish parents, and was named Yitzak Loiza Grossberg. Rivers belonged to the second generation of the New York School of painters, although unlike most of his contemporaries he stayed away from abstraction instead preferring narrative paintings. He began his artistic career playing the jazz saxophone, and when one night his group was introduced as "Larry Rivers and the Mudcats," he decided to keep the name.
After a brief period in the army during World War II, Rivers attended Juilliard School of Music for one year before returning to the jazz saxophone. After he met the painter Jane Freilicher, he decided to devote himself to painting. Rivers attended Hans Hofmann's school for nearly two years. In 1949, he had his first solo show at the Jane Street Gallery, an artist's co-op in the Village. Rivers received favorable reviews and was invited to join the Tibor de Nagy Gallery uptown.
Rivers continued to show annually at the Tibor de Nagy Gallery from 1952 to 1962. In 1963, he joined the Marlborough Gallery, where he stayed until his death. In 1955, The New York Museum of Modern Art acquired his painting Washington Crossing the Delaware, and in 1956 the Whitney Museum purchased Double Portrait of Berdie, two of his more famous paintings. He had periodic museum shows in Europe and the United States throughout his career.
Rivers had two sons, Joseph and Steven, by his first wife, Augusta. In 1961 he married Clarice Price and had two more children, Gwynne and Emma. In the 1970s he had another son with the painter Daria Deshuk.
The subjects of River's figurative paintings were family, history, politics, religion and sex. His work done in oils often included the use of stencils, cutouts, blank canvas and image reversals. He often painted family members including his mother in law, his sons and his ex-wife. Rivers favored historical subjects such as History of Matzah: The Story of the Jews (1984-85), History of the Russian Revolution (1965) and often painted parodies including his Washington Crossing the Delaware. He enjoyed controversial subjects and shocking the public. Lapman Loves It (1966) is a nine-foot electrified assemblage complete with strategically located light bulbs. French Vocabulary Lesson (1961-62) is a nude with body parts labeled in French.
Rivers was also a writer. In 1979 he published Drawings and Digressions with Carol Brightman. In 1992 he published What Did I Do? The Unauthorized Autobiography with Arnold Weinstein.
Find original Larry Rivers prints and paintings on 1stDibs.
(Biography provided by Lincoln Glenn)
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Toledo, OH
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Modern Tropical Flowers Lithograph / PrintLocated in Toledo, OHModern tropical flowers lithograph / print. Nice colors, circa 1980s. Unsigned. Very nice condition. Slight wear to frame. Dimensions: 61.5" W x 41.5"...Category
Vintage 1980s Unknown Modern PrintsMaterials
- Victor Vasarely "Tridim" 1968 Lithograph, Signed, 56/300By Victor VasarelyLocated in Toledo, OHVictor Vasarely "Trimdim" 1968 Lithograph, Signed, 56/300 and has a blind stamp. Circa 1968, Titled "Tridim". Victor Vasarely’s complex paintings and s...Category
Vintage 1960s PrintsMaterials
- Joan Miro Pink Clown, Pitre Rose, Lithograph, 1974By Joan MiróLocated in Toledo, OH"Le Pitre Rose", 1974, from an edition of 50. Etching and Aquatint on woven paper. Image size is 45 1/2" x 29" with full borders. Excellent Condition. Ga...Category
Vintage 1970s PrintsMaterials
- Alexander Calder, Red Moon & Swirl, Lithograph 1965By Alexander CalderLocated in Toledo, OHAlexander Calder was an American artist best known for his invention of the kinetic sculptures known as mobiles. Calder also produced a variety of two-dimensional artworks including ...Category
Mid-20th Century PrintsMaterials
- Modern Art Lithograph Signed by Johnny Friedlaender FramedBy Johnny FriedlaenderLocated in Toledo, OHModern Art Lithograph Signed by Johnny Friedlaender in a Frame. Abstract art on paper signed in lower right with artist proof indication on the l...Category
20th Century German PrintsMaterials
- Francoise Gilot, "Aurelia with a Red Bonnet", Lithograph, 1971By Françoise GilotLocated in Toledo, OHFrancoise Gilot, "Aurelia with a Red Bonnet", Lithograph. Circa 1971. Aurelia is Gilot's daughter. Edition 12/50. Modernist Style. Signature in lower left corner in pencil. Great Vin...Category
Late 20th Century PrintsMaterials
- Larry Rivers Bronx Zoo 1983 241/250By Larry RiversLocated in Philadelphia, PALarry Rivers "Bronx Zoo" 1983 241/250 Lithograph on Paper. Printed by Styria Studio and Published by the New York Graphic Society. In very nice condition, un...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern PrintsMaterials
- Larry Rivers CollageBy Larry RiversLocated in West Palm Beach, FLLarry Rivers was both an artist, musician and actor. The collage depicts opera divas. The use of celluloid tape as part of the composition was typical in his work.Category
Vintage 1960s American Contemporary ArtMaterials
- Vintage Metropolitan Opera "Madama Butterfly" Framed Lithograph by Larry RiversBy Larry RiversLocated in Brooklyn, NYBring home a fantastic example of the legendary work of American pop-art icon Larry Rivers (1923-2002). Considered by many historians to be the "godfather" of pop art, this limited v...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Contemporary ArtMaterials
- Shepard Fairey "Two Sides of Capitalism " 2007 Collectible Bank NoteBy Shepard FaireyLocated in North Hollywood, CAShepard Fairey "Two Sides of Capitalism " 2007 Clectible Bank Note.Shepard Fairey, born in 1970, "Two Sides Of Capitalism" through this unique publication under Obey Giant, based in...Category
21st Century and Contemporary PrintsMaterials
- Triptych Limited Edition Lithographs "Snake Running Backwards" by Larry FodorLocated in San Diego, CAStunning triptych limited edition lithographs entitled "Snake Running Backwards" signed, numbered and titled by renowned western artist Larry Fodor, circa ...Category
Late 20th Century American PrintsMaterials
- Trojanische Helden, Color LithographLocated in Neuss, NWDetlef HAGENBÄUMER “Trojanische Helden”. Original color lithograph. Handsigned and numbered (2/2). Ready to hang, framed in an aluminium frame. Measures: 41 x 51 cm.Category
Early 2000s German PrintsMaterials