Tiffany Studios Aquamarine Necklace
View Similar Items
Tiffany Studios Aquamarine Necklace
- Dimensions:Length: 20 in (508 mm)
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:Circa 1900
- Seller Location:New Orleans, LA
- Reference Number:Seller: 30-13101stDibs: JU140224135274
About the Designer
Tiffany & Co.
Tiffany & Co. is one of the most prominent purveyors of luxury goods in the United States, and has long been an important arbiter of style in the design of diamond engagement rings. A young Franklin Delano Roosevelt proposed to his future wife, Eleanor, with a Tiffany ring in 1904. Vanderbilts, Whitneys, Astors and members of the Russian imperial family all wore Tiffany & Co. jewels. And Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis preferred Tiffany china for state dinners at the White House.
Although synonymous with luxury today, the firm started out rather modestly. Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young founded it in Connecticut as a “stationery and fancy goods emporium” in 1837, at a time when European imports still dominated the nascent American luxury market. In 1853, Charles Tiffany — who in 1845 had launched the company’s famed catalog, the Blue Book, and with it, the firm’s signature robin’s-egg blue, which he chose for the cover — shifted the focus to fine jewelry. In 1868, Tiffany & Co. gained international recognition when it became the first U.S. firm to win an award for excellence in silverware at the Exposition Universelle in Paris. From then on, it belonged to the pantheon of American luxury brands.
At the start of the Gilded Age, in 1870, Tiffany & Co. opened its flagship store, described as a "palace of jewels" by the New York Times, at 15 Union Square West in Manhattan. Throughout this period, its designs for silver tableware, ceremonial silver, flatware and jewelry were highly sought-after indicators of status and taste. They also won the firm numerous accolades, including the grand prize for silverware at the Paris Exposition of 1878. Among the firm’s glittering creations from this time are masterworks of Art Nouveau jewelry, such as this delicate aquamarine necklace and this lavish plique-à-jour peridot and gold necklace, both circa 1900.
When Charles Lewis Tiffany died, in 1902, his son Louis Comfort Tiffany became the firm’s design director. Under his leadership, the Tiffany silver studio was a de facto design school for apprentice silversmiths, who worked alongside head artisan Edward C. Moore. The firm produced distinctive objects inspired by Japanese art and design, North American plants and flowers, and Native American patterns and crafts, adding aesthetic diversity to Tiffany & Co.’s distinguished repertoire.
Tiffany is also closely associated with diamonds, even lending its name to one particularly rare and exceptional yellow stone. The firm bought the Tiffany diamond in its raw state from the Kimberley mines of South Africa in 1878. Cut to create a 128.54-carat gem with an unprecedented 82 facets, it is one of the most spectacular examples of a yellow diamond in the world. In a broader sense, Tiffany & Co. helped put diamonds on the map in 1886 by introducing the American marketplace to the solitaire diamond design, which is still among the most popular engagement-ring styles. The trademark Tiffany® Setting raises the stone above the band on six prongs, allowing its facets to catch the light. A lovely recent example is this circa-2000 platinum engagement ring. Displaying a different design and aesthetic (but equally chic) is this exquisite diamond and ruby ring from the 1930s.
- Aquamarine Pendant Necklace, 60.00 CaratsLocated in New Orleans, LAThe incredible aquamarine draped from this necklace captures attention with a vibrant aqua hue that rivals that of the world's oceans. Weighing approximately 60.00 carats, the gem's ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Pendant NecklacesMaterials
Aquamarine, Diamond, White Diamond, Platinum
- Gold Tassel Necklace by Tiffany & Co.By Tiffany & Co.Located in New Orleans, LAChic 18K yellow gold tassels hang from a gold chain for a dynamic, contemporary look from the famed Tiffany & Co. This necklace exhibits a lace...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Chain NecklacesMaterials
Yellow Gold, Gold, 18k Gold$34,500Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Kashmir Sapphire Necklace, 10.25 CaratsBy Tiffany & Co.Located in New Orleans, LACrafted by the legendary Tiffany & Co., this enchanting necklace is a rare and unique masterpiece of early 20th-century American jewelry design. Delicately handcrafted, the one-of-a-kind creation is set with two stunning examples of Kashmir sapphires weighing 5.65 and 4.60 respectively. These gemstones are certified by the American Gemological Laboratories as Kashmir in origin and completely untreated, an extreme rarity for Kashmirs. Dozens of sparkling white diamond accents complement the brilliant blue stones in a romantic, winding 18K yellow gold setting. These incredible sapphires would have been sourced by George Frederick Kunz, Tiffany & Co.'s expert gemologist, who selected only the finest gemstones for the firm's unique creations. The sapphires in this necklace are truly superior examples. Kashmir sapphires were first unearthed in the early 1880s after a landslide in the northwestern region of the Indian subcontinent. They are celebrated not only for their rarity, but also for the softness of their distinctive blue hue. Boasting incredible color and brilliance, untreated Kashmir sapphires of this quality are scarce, especially within an antique Tiffany setting. Since the firm's inception in 1837, Tiffany & Co. has been at the forefront of luxurious design and craftsmanship, especially in the realm of fine jewelry. Founder Charles Lewis Tiffany...Category
Antique 19th Century American Edwardian Pendant NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, Sapphire, 18k Gold, Gold
- Favrile Glass Scarab Necklace by Louis Comfort TiffanyBy Louis Comfort TiffanyLocated in New Orleans, LACreated by legendary designer and premier tastemaker of the Gilded Age, Louis Comfort Tiffany, this necklace is a rare and unique masterpiece of jewelry design. Delicately crafted, the necklace boasts an Egyptian Revival design inspired by the archaeological excavations of Egypt beginning in the late 18th century. Scarab beetles finely executed in Tiffany’s signature favrile glass are bezel set in an 18K gold chain with rope-like links. The beetles flash iridescent hues of deep blue, green and purple, adding the perfect amount of shimmer to the enchanting design. Best remembered for his stained glass windows and lamps, along with his Favrile glass creations, Louis Comfort Tiffany did not begin crafting jewelry until 1902. Inspired by the fluidity and translucence of ancient Roman and Middle Eastern glass...Category
20th Century American Art Nouveau Chain NecklacesMaterials
18k Gold$98,500Free Shipping
- Mandarin Garnet Pendant 15.01 CaratLocated in New Orleans, LAAll the radiance of a fiery evening sky shines from this rare Mandarin garnet. Displaying a rich "mandarin" hue, this monumental 15.01-carat stone disp...Category
Late 20th Century Contemporary Necklace EnhancersMaterials
White Diamond, Mandarin Garnet, Diamond, Garnet, Platinum$88,850Free Shipping
- Moonstone and Diamond Double-Strand Necklace by Tiffany & Co.By Tiffany & Co.Located in New Orleans, LACrafted by world-renowned American jewelers Tiffany & Co., this demure-yet-beguiling necklace features spherical moonstone pendants set in platinum. Dazzling white accent diamonds highlight the...Category
20th Century American Modern Chain NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Moonstone, Platinum$22,500Free Shipping
- Robin Rotenier .19 Carat Carved Aquamarine Diamond Yellow Gold Pendant EnhancerBy Robin RotenierLocated in Stamford, CTRobin Rotenier Double carved Aqua diamond dangle pendant enhancer in 18k yellow gold 2 carved greenish blue aquamarine beads, approx. .19cts 3 round brilliant cut diamonds, G VS ap...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Necklace EnhancersMaterials
Aquamarine, Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Aquamarine Balls NecklaceBy Valentin MagroLocated in New York, NYThe pastel translucency of aquamarine is the spotlight of this necklace. Globes of the gemstone are strung together on blue thread for a cohesive presentation. Between each orb is a ...Category
2010s American Modern Beaded NecklacesMaterials
Aquamarine, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$6,995Free Shipping
- White Gold Necklace with DiamondsLocated in Geneva, CHNecklace in 18kt white gold set with 800 baguette cut diamond 9.57 cts and 640 diamonds 1.88 cts (102 cm)Category
21st Century and Contemporary Swiss Contemporary Necklace EnhancersMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, White Gold$49,000Free Shipping
- Diamond Baroque Pearl Aquamarine Necklace 14K GoldBy Estate JewelryLocated in East Brunswick, NJThis stunning and spectacular Diamond Baroque Pearl Aquamarine Necklace necklace is definitely one of a kind! The necklace is made with all genuine gemstones: baroque pearls, aquamarines, solid gold and diamonds bead splits, green gemstones, rock crystal quartz. All stones vary in size and shape from 3mm to 20mm. The necklace has a hidden clasp on the side. The pendant enhancer! It is huge, it is amazing, this is a piece of art! The huge genuine Earth mined untreated Aquamarine...Category
Late 20th Century Beaded NecklacesMaterials
Aquamarine, Diamond, Pearl, 14k Gold, Yellow Gold$3,980Free Shipping
- Syna Yellow Gold Mogul Diamond NecklaceBy Syna JewelsLocated in Fort Lee, NJCreated in 18 karat yellow gold Diamonds 1.90 carats approx. 18 inch length 18kyg lobster clasp Fashioned from 18 karat yellow gold, this necklace features 1.90 carats of diamonds w...Category
2010s American Contemporary More NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$8,250Free Shipping
- Chrysoprase and Aquamarine NecklaceBy Valentin MagroLocated in New York, NYCool toned gemstones orbit in this necklace. Chrysoprase in the variation of a soft sea foam green is the highlight. In between each globe of the chalcedony are two aquamarine rounde...Category
2010s American Beaded NecklacesMaterials
Aquamarine, Chrysophrase, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$5,390Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The Sparkling Legacy of Tiffany & Co. Explained, One Jewel at a Time
A gorgeous new book celebrates — and memorializes — the iconic jeweler’s rich heritage.
15 Scintillating Jewelry Watches to Elevate Your Holiday Style
Watchmakers have tucked their movements into all manner of precious baubles, from lapel pins to cocktail rings. The result is dazzling, wearable art that will get you to the party on time.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery