Items Similar to Black Opal Ring from Lightning Ridge is Understated Until It's Not View More
Black Opal Ring from Lightning Ridge is Understated Until It's Not
This is the first black opal from Australia's lightening ridge I ever owned. I bought it from a store in Sydney. "That's not the black opal for everyone," the sales person said. I smiled. No, it was not. I wore this ring in a meeting shortly after I received it and the woman to my right was speaking when she suddenly did a double-take. "Wait, did your ring just change color?" This ring stopped a meeting about the launch of my next book. Most of the time, this black opal really lives up to its name: it's black. It could pass for a black jade ring. Until, that is, you move our finger. And suddenly a burst of ember-red flashes from somewhere deep inside the ring. Move your finger again, now it's teal. Step into the sun and the ring is green. Step into the shade and it's navy blue. Reach for breadsticks at the dinner table and the black will flash yellow. So no, this is not the black opal ring for everyone. Most people love a black opal that displays its vibrant color palate 24/7. This black opal isn't that black opal. This black opal a dignified glossy black until suddenly it's not. And that's what I love about it. The approximately 11 mm x 9.40 mm opal is an oval-shaped double cabochon. Although the setting looks a little retro, I think the ring dates from the 1990s. Currently a size 7, this ring can be resized by your local jeweler. Weirdly, my pinkie is a size 6 and this ring fits it. Some things simply cannot be explained.
- In the Style Of
- Place of OriginAustralia
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1990s
- Condition DetailsOpal has no cracks or internal crazing. Setting shows evidence of prior resizing and age-appropriate wear.
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- Weight3.69 g
- Seller LocationSouthbury, CT
- Reference NumberLU158918895491
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingFree ShippingStandardto anywhere in the world, arrives in 8-17 days.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.See Details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2019
Typical response time: 1 hour
Located in Southbury, CT
More From This Seller
$11,700 Sale Price
Black Opal Ring with Diamonds English, circa 1958
Vintage 1950s Victorian
Men's Tanzanite Ring Is Dashing Not Flashy
$1,125 Sale Price
Opal Ring from France, circa 1900
Antique 1890s Arts and Crafts
You May Also Like
Lightning Ridge Black Opal and Diamond Ring
New Orleans, LA
21st Century and Contemporary Retro
Black Lightning Ridge Opal, Paraïba Tourmaline ...
Lightning Ridge Black Opal and Pink Sapphire Pa...
Dalben Magnificent Lightning Ridge Australian O...
21st Century and Contemporary Contemporary
20.54 Carat Black Opal Lightning Ridge, Australia
21st Century and Contemporary
Australian Black Lightning Ridge Opal and 18 Ka...
QLD , AU
20th Century Contemporary
Black Opal Art Deco Dome Cocktail Ring Lightnin...
Santa Barbara, CA
Vintage 1910s Art Deco