Slim Aarons'Skiing At Courchevel' (Slim Aarons Estate Edition)
About the Item
- Creator:Slim Aarons (1916-2006, American)
- Creation Year:1963
- Dimensions:Height: 40 in (101.6 cm)Width: 60 in (152.4 cm)
- Movement & Style:
- Condition:Mint condition C-type photograph, limited edition to 150 only. Numbered and stamped by The Slim Aarons Estate on verso. Supplied with certificate of authenticity.
- Gallery Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU38133691782
American photographer Slim Aarons captured the 20th century’s international jet set — U.S. socialites, European royalty, Hollywood stars — at play in sun-kissed locales like Monaco, Saint-Tropez and Palm Beach, as well as other luxurious settings around the globe.
Committed to eschewing makeup and artificial lighting, Aarons created images that are at once candid and polished, combining the relaxed posture of his subjects, who trusted him to document their lives, with the visual sharpness of a seasoned art director. Having gotten his start taking pictures for the U.S. military magazine Yank during World War II, he contributed over the course of his career to Life, Town and Country and Holiday magazines and published several books.
Aarons was born in Manhattan in 1916. He joined the army at 18, shooting military maneuvers at West Point before serving as a combat photographer, for which he was awarded a Purple Heart. After the war, he moved to California and began snapping socialites and movie stars. In the 1950s, he opened a bureau for Life magazine in Rome, where he took pictures capturing the postwar scene. Aarons was always able to win the trust of his elite subjects, who saw him as close to a peer, rather than a paparazzo. In a 2002 interview with The Independent, he remarked, ''I knew everyone. They would invite me to one of their parties because they knew I wouldn't hurt them. I was one of them.'' This access allowed Aarons to document the rich and famous with their guard down, reading newspapers and magazines, talking on the phone, relaxing by the pool, and chatting with friends. The 1957 photograph The Kings of Hollywood, for example, which won him wide acclaim, shows Clark Gable, Van Heflin, Gary Cooper and Jimmy Stewart laughing together as they celebrate New Year’s Eve.
Many of Aarons’s best-known images involve games and sports. In the 1972 Poolside Backgammon, two young women play the board game of the title against the backdrop of a majestic Acapulco estate. In 1958’s Cannes Watersports, a couple attempts to glide across the Golfe de la Napoule on Jet Skis, one expertly and one hanging on for dear life. And in Penthouse Pool, shot in Athens in 1961, a young woman wearing a yellow bathing cap smiles coyly at the camera, surrounded by friends and brightly colored seat cushions, with the Acropolis faintly visible in the background. Among Aarons’s books are 1974’s A Wonderful Time: An Intimate Portrait of the Good Life, and its 2003 sequel, Once Upon a Time. His final book, A Place in the Sun, was published in 2005, one year before his death.
Find a collection of vintage Slim Aarons photography on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Slim Aarons Estate Print - Vila Vera 1968 - OversizeBy Slim AaronsLocated in London, GBSlim Aarons Estate Print - Vila Vera - Oversize The bar at the Villa Vera Hotel Spa and Racquet Club in Acapulco, January 1968. (Photo by Slim Aarons) Chromogenic print paper size 40 x 60" inches / 101 x 152 cm unframed printed later edition size 150 only certificate of authenticity supplied numbered in ink & blind embossed stamped Slim Aarons signature on front Authorised and issued by the Slim Aarons Archive & Estate c/o The Getty Archive London England and produced utilizing the original transparency. fun leisure summer summery 1960s 60s fashion style palm palms travel vacation party bar...Category
1960s Modern Landscape PhotographyMaterials
C Print, Color
- Slim Aarons Estate Print - Motorcycling Lord 1990By Slim AaronsLocated in London, GBSlim Aarons Estate Print - Motorcycling Lord Lord Hesketh, Minister of State at the Department of Trade and Industry, by the lake in the grounds of his family estate Easton Neston...Category
1990s Modern Landscape PhotographyMaterials
C Print, Color
- Slim Aarons Estate Print - Nice Pool 1955 - OversizeBy Slim AaronsLocated in London, GBSlim Aarons Estate Print - Nice Pool - Oversize American writer C.Z. Guest (Mrs F.C. Winston Guest, 1920 – 2003) and her son Alexander Michael Douglas Dudley Guest in front of their Grecian temple pool on the ocean-front estate, Villa Artemis, Palm Beach. Original Publication: A Wonderful Time – Slim Aarons (Photo by Slim Aarons) Chromogenic print paper size 40 x 40" inches / 101 x 101 cm unframed printed later edition size 150 only certificate of authenticity supplied numbered in ink & blind embossed stamped Slim Aarons signature on front Authorised and issued by the Slim Aarons Archive & Estate c/o The Getty Archive London England and produced utilizing the original transparency. summer summery dog dogs...Category
1950s Modern Landscape PhotographyMaterials
Color, C Print
- Slim Aarons Estate Print - Skiing Holiday 1977 - OversizeBy Slim AaronsLocated in London, GBSlim Aarons Estate Print - Skiing Holiday - Oversize American political novelist William F Buckley Jnr takes a break from skiing near Gstaad with Canad...Category
1970s Modern Landscape PhotographyMaterials
C Print, Color
- Slim Aarons - Estate Edition - Mustique TranquilityBy Slim AaronsLocated in London, GBSlim Aarons - Mustique Tranquility - Estate Stamped Edition Limited to 150 only Meg O’Neill, a writer for Town and Country magazine, relaxing by the infinity pool at Colin Tennant’s home on the West Indies island of Mustique, February 1989 (Photo by Slim Aarons). This photograph epitomises the travel style and glamour of the period's wealthy and famous, beautifully documented by Aarons. In his words, he loved to photograph 'attractive people in attractive places, doing attractive things'. A beautiful and classic Slim Aarons C-Type photograph (unframed). Limited edition to 150 only numbered and stamped by The Slim Aarons Estate on verso. Supplied with certificate of authenticity. Gorgeous print measuring 40 x 60" inches / ca 101.6 x 152.4cm’s paper size. Stamped by the Estate on right and numbered in ink on left - limited edition to 150 only. Produced utilising the original transparency held at archive source. FRAMING: Please note that this piece is unframed – however, we offer a full framing service. If you would like this piece framed, please contact us for a quote. We ship regularly using Fedex Express services and shipping to all international locations. Keywords 1980s 80s late 80s swimming poll infinity pool sunset drinks in the swimming pool relaxing by the pool exclusive home in the Caribbean West Indies Colin Tennant's house Colin Christopher Paget Tennant, 3rd Baron Glenconner a British aristocrat He was the son of Christopher Grey...Category
1980s Modern Landscape PhotographyMaterials
C Print, Color
- Slim Aarons Estate Edition - Cranmore Mountain SkiersBy Slim AaronsLocated in London, GBSlim Aarons Estate Stamped Edition Limited to 150 only Skiers at the Cranmore Mountain Resort, North Conway, New Hampshire, USA, 1955 (Photo by Slim Aarons) This photograph epit...Category
1950s Modern Landscape PhotographyMaterials
C Print, Color
- Blue Moon, East Hampton, NY, 2017By Bob SteinerLocated in New York, NYWe are excited to announce the grand opening of “Indian Summer” at La Plage in Sag Harbor. This exhibition will include Fine Art + Photography from the Robin Rice Gallery including R...Category
2010s Modern Color PhotographyMaterials
- House, West Cork, Ireland, 1996By John DolanLocated in New York, NYEach year, Robin Rice celebrates a Salon style exhibition to showcase her gallery artists and invite new ones. With Robin’s extensive experience as a gallery curator, all Robin Rice Gallery endeavors are superbly managed. Whether working with corporate clients, interior designers or established collectors, the Robin Rice Gallery guides patrons throughout the selection process, inspiring them to build a stylish collection or striking décor. The Robin Rice Gallery offers a bevy of styles that Robin has procured with her own signature school of artists. C Print, Blue, House, Red Door, Vignette, Blur, House, West Cork...Category
1990s Modern Color PhotographyMaterials
- Big Ben limited edition iconic photography by Jochen CernyBy Jochen CernyLocated in London, GBCollage photography of Big Ben behind acrylic glass by applying the CMPB-technique Artwork will be printed on highest quality photographic paper, ...Category
2010s Modern Landscape PhotographyMaterials
- "Atlas Cement Near Olana" Chromogenic Landscape Print Susan Wides 1997By Susan WidesLocated in Arp, TXSusan Wides "Atlas Cement Near Olana (December 18, 1997)" 1997 Chromogenic Print on Matte Paper 10"x10.5" image, overall 11" x 14", Unframed $2200 Signed on reverse in ink *Custom fr...Category
Late 20th Century American Modern Color PhotographyMaterials
Photographic Paper, C Print
- Miami Parking Garage, Robert Law Weed and Associates, Miami Fl.By Ezra StollerLocated in Miami, FLEzra Stroller is perhaps the world's most accomplished Architectural Photographer. In this image " Miami Parking Garage, Robert Law Weed and Associates" ...Category
1940s Modern Landscape PhotographyMaterials
- New York Picnic, Slim Aarons - Landscape Photography, Color PhotographyBy Slim AaronsLocated in Brighton, GBPlease bear in mind that all prints are produced to order. Lead times are expected between 15-20 days. Currency fluctuations may cause the price to change. This is a contemporary pr...Category
20th Century American Modern Landscape PhotographyMaterials
Color, Lambda, Photographic Paper, C Print
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery