- Design Credit: Samantha Todhunter Design Ltd., Photo Credit: Oliver Clarke. Dimensions: H 24 in. x W 20 in.
- Design Credit: Lucy Harris Studio, Photo Credit: Francesco Bertocci. Dimensions: H 24 in. x W 20 in.
- Design Credit: Timothy Godbold, Photo Credit: Karl Simone. Dimensions: H 24 in. x W 20 in.
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Steve McCurrySharbat Gula, Pakistan (Hand Signed)
About the Item
- Creator:Steve McCurry (1950, American)
- Creation Year:1984
- Dimensions:Height: 24 in (60.96 cm)Width: 20 in (50.8 cm)
- Movement & Style:
- Condition:unframed and in fine condition.
- Gallery Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1745210415832
Steve McCurry is an American photographer who gained international acclaim for his arresting portrait of a young refugee known simply as Afghan Girl.
Originally published on the cover of National Geographic in 1985, the photograph shows a young Pashtun orphan, later identified as Sharbat Gula, who was living in a refugee camp near Peshawar, Pakistan, during the Soviet Union’s occupation of Afghanistan. The image is emblematic of McCurry’s work, which has brought him to war zones across the globe. Rather than focusing on the violence of the battlefield, McCurry seeks to capture the human face of conflict, distilling what is universal and recognizable in each portrait.
McCurry was born in Philadelphia and attended Penn State University, graduating cum laude with a degree in theater arts in 1974. After several years working at a newspaper in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, he left to work as a freelancer in India, where he honed his skill for capturing unguarded moments in daily life. Just prior to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, in 1979, he crossed the border from Pakistan into Afghan rebel–controlled territory, wearing native garb to disguise himself, with rolls of film sewn into his clothing. The photographs he took there were among the first in the world to document the conflict, and his work was awarded the Robert Capa Gold Medal for “photographic reporting from abroad.”
Over the course of his career, McCurry has documented daily life alongside conflicts in Cambodia, the Philippines, the former Yugoslavia, Beirut, Iraq, Afghanistan and Tibet. Though his photos depict serious and sometimes frightening situations, his ability to connect with subjects and capture something of their personalities allows his images to transcend the documentarian distance of wartime journalism. The results are real portraits that happen to be set in tough situations. Welder in a Ship Breaking Yard, Mumbai, India (1994), for instance, reveals only the subject’s eyes, but they’re so intently fixed on McCurry’s lens that they seem to express volumes. Monk Running on Wall (2004) shows a young monk defying gravity as he skitters along an exterior wall of the Shaolin Monastery in Henan, China, over the heads of his friends. Like a Baroque painting, McCurry’s picture captures a moment of dynamic action that reveals something instantly recognizable in a subject from another part of the world.
Find original Steve McCurry photography on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Sharbat Gula, Peshawar, Pakistan (Hand signed)By Steve McCurryLocated in New York, NYSteve McCurry Sharbat Gula, Peshawar, Pakistan (Hand signed), 2002 Offset lithograph poster (hand signed by Steve McCurry) Boldly signed in black marker by Steve McCurry on the front...Category
Early 2000s Realist Portrait PrintsMaterials
- Barack Obama (Hand Signed by Kehinde Wiley)By Kehinde WileyLocated in New York, NYKehinde Wiley Barack Obama (Hand Signed by Kehinde Wiley), 2018 Offset Lithograph (Hand Signed by Kehinde Wiley) 17 × 11 inches Boldly signed by Kehinde Wiley in black marker on the ...Category
2010s Realist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- Photographs 1970-1990 (Hand signed by Annie Leibovitz)By Annie LeibovitzLocated in New York, NYAnnie Leibovitz Photographs 1970-1990 (Hand signed by Annie Leibovitz), 1993 Offset lithograph poster (hand signed) Boldly signed in black marker on the front 30 × 24 inches Ansel Adams Center for Photography, San Francisco in collaboration with the National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution Unframed This offset lithograph poster was published on the occasion of the Annie Leibovitz' 1993 survey exhibition at the Ansel Adams Center for photograph in San Francisco. The photograph of course depicts the actor and renowned art collector Steve Martin in front of a Franz Kline painting...Category
1990s Realist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- Portrait of Barack ObamaBy Kehinde WileyLocated in New York, NYKehinde Wiley Portrait of Barack Obama Color offset lithograph Based upon the original painting the artist did of President Obama, the official pres...Category
2010s Realist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- CatalinaBy Carole FeuermanLocated in New York, NYCarole Feuerman Catalina, 2016 Silkscreen on paper 25 × 19 inches Pencil signed and numbered from the limited edition of 50 Unframed and in excellent conditionCategory
2010s Realist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother (The Fifth Commandment)By Robert KushnerLocated in New York, NYRobert Kushner Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother (The Fifth Commandment), 1987 6 Color Lithograph on Dieu Donne handmade paper 24 × 18 inches Pencil signed and numbered 76/84 in graphite on the front Unframed with deckled edges This five color lithograph on Dieu Donne hand made paper with deckled edges is pencil signed, dated and numbered from the limited edition of 84. This 1980s Robert Kushner print was created as part of the 1987 portfolio "The Ten Commandments", in which ten top Jewish American artists were each invited to choose an Old Testament commandment to interpret in contemporary lithographic form. The "Chosen" artists were, in order of Commandment: Kenny Scharf, Joseph Nechvatal...Category
1980s Realist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- Boy Between Two Daggers, 1997By Steve McCurryLocated in ATLANTA, GASteve McCurry is an American photographer, freelancer, and photojournalist. His photo Afghan Girl, of a girl with piercing green eyes, has appeared on the cover of National Geographi...Category
20th Century Modern Color PhotographyMaterials
- Husain by Maqbul Fida Husain, Richard Bartholomew, Shiv S. Kapur, H. N. AbramsBy Maqbool Fida HusainLocated in North Hollywood, CAHusain by Maqbul Fida Husain, Richard Bartholomew, Shiv S. Kapur · H. N. Abrams · hardback · 60 pages. A terrific copy of one of the best monographs on this important Indian artist. Illustrated in color and black & white. 60 pages of text and 192 illustrations. New York: Harry N. Abrams, 1st Edition 1972. First edition. Oblong hardcover. First printing. Text by Richard Bartholomew and Shiv S. Kapur. Includes 192 illustrations with 53 tipped in color plates. A fine and tight copy in a very near fine dust jacket price clipped dust jacket. Hardcover, bound in brown cloth. In a dust jacket. Title: Maqbool Fida Husain Author: BARTHOLOMEW, Richard and Shiv S. Kapur - Maqbool Fida Husain Book Condition Used PublisherHarry N. Abrams Place Of Publication New YorkDate Published1972 Keywords: Art Monographs. Maqbool Fida Husain Born ; 17 September 1915 Pandharpur, Maharashtra, British India Died : 9 June 2011 (aged 95) London, England, UK Nationality Indian (1915-2010) Qatari (2010–2011) Education Sir J. J. School of Art Known for Painting, drawing, writer, filmmaker Notable work Meenaxi a tale of three cities Through the eyes of a painter Movement Progressive Art Group Awards Padma Shri (1966) Padma Bhushan (1973) Padma Vibhushan (1991) Husain was associated with Indian modernism in the 1940s. His early association with the Progressive Artist's Group, or "PAG of Bombay" used modern technique, and was inspired by the "new" India after The Partition of 1947. His narrative paintings, executed in a modified Cubist style, can be caustic and funny as well as serious and sombre. His themes—sometimes treated in series—include topics as diverse as Mohandas K. Gandhi, Mother Teresa, the Ramayana, the Mahabharata, the British raj, and motifs of Indian urban and rural life. Early in his painting career, and until his death, he enjoyed depicting the lively and free spirit of horses in many of his works. Often referred to as the "Picasso of India", Husain is the most celebrated and internationally recognized Indian artist of the 20th century. Husain is primarily known for his paintings, but is also known for his drawings and his work as a printmaker, photographer, and filmmaker. Some of his later works stirred controversy, as they depicted traditional Deities of India in non traditional ways. He also directed a few movies. In 1967, he received the National Film Award for Best Experimental Film for Through The Eyes of a Painter. In 2004, he directed Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities, a film he worked on with his artist son Owais Husain, which was screened in the Marché du Film section of the 2004 Cannes Film Festival. Husain was born on 17 september 1915 in Pandharpur to a Sulaymani Bohra family who trace their roots back to Gujarat within the last 200 years, and then originally to Yemen. He picked up taste in art through studying calligraphy while he stayed at a Madraasa in Baroda. Husain attended the Sir Jamsetjee Jeejebhoy School of Art in Mumbai. Early in his career Husain painted cinema posters in Mumbai. To earn extra money, he worked for a toy company designing and building toys. He often travelled to Gujarat to paint landscapes when he could afford to. This was a clique of young artists who wished to break with the nationalist traditions established by the Bengal school of art and to encourage an Indian avant-garde, engaged at an international level. The artists cite "The Partition" of India and Pakistan 14 August 1947, with its resulting religious rioting and heavy loss of life as their reason for forming The Progressive Artist's Group in Bombay in December 1947. The artists saw the Partition as a "turning point" for India, and their new style of art was urged on by, and was also a turning point for, (modern) Indian Art. Husain's first solo exhibit was in 1952 in Zurich. His first U.S.A. exhibit was at India House...Category
Late 20th Century Indian Expressionist BooksMaterials
- Original Vintage Travel Poster Akbers Fort Lahore Pakistan Punjab Mughal EmpireLocated in London, GBOriginal vintage travel poster advertising Akbers Fort in Lahore Pakistan issued by the Bureau of Tourism, Ministry of Commerce, Government of Pakistan. Great image of the 16th century Mughal Empire...Category
1950s More PrintsMaterials
- Moroccan Brass Decorative Collector DaggerBy Berber Tribes of MoroccoLocated in North Hollywood, CAHandcrafted Moroccan brass dagger, mixed metal, copper, nickel and enamel. Moroccan Hand carved Khoumiya dagger, of typical shape with curved ...Category
Late 20th Century Moroccan Folk Art More Furniture and CollectiblesMaterials
- 20th Century English Enamelled Sterling Silver Armour on Wood Decorated BaseBy BrumalLocated in VALENZA, ITFigure realized in Sterling Silver using the lost wax process. The details are gilded and enameled. The figure is 18 cm high and depicts a 15th century Italian soldier with sword and dagger The wood square base is 7 cm high where there is an engraved label "Armatura Inglese XV° Secolo" - "English...Category
1990s Italian Medieval Sterling SilverMaterials
- Vintage 1966 Sterling Silver Soldier Presentation TrophyBy A. Chick & Sons Ltd.Located in Jesmond, Newcastle Upon TyneA fine vintage Elizabeth II English cast sterling silver presentation trophy on oakwood plinth in the form of a Victorian soldier; an addition to our military related silverware collection. This fine vintage Elizabeth II English cast sterling silver trophy has been realistically modelled in the form of a crouching soldier holding a musket. The model is embellished with impressive cast details reproducing the fine details of the soldier's Victorian attire, including a dagger and ammo pouch to his belt. The sterling silver soldier is displayed on the original oak wood presentation plinth. The cuboid plinth is fitted with a vacant silver inscription band; the band may be engraved with a personal inscription if so desired. This fine presentation silver...Category
Vintage 1960s English Other Sterling SilverMaterials
Silver, Sterling Silver
- DaggerLocated in Greenwich, CTLinling Lu is best known for her hard-edge, circular abstract paintings with concentric rings of color. Her human-scaletondoshave been described as inducing states of meditation. Lu’...Category
2010s Contemporary Mixed MediaMaterials
Acrylic, Textile, Mixed MediaPrice Upon Request
- Banksy "NOTICE" Sticker 2010By BanksyLocated in Atlanta, GAOffset lithograph (sticker) 4.72 x 5.71 in (12.0 x 14.5 cm) Created in a limited quantity (exact number in circulation is unknown). A highly sought after and now very rare piece of...Category
2010s Street Art More ArtMaterials
- Ex Remover, Kunstrasen - Contemporary Street Art Screenprint Pop ArtBy KunstrasenLocated in Atlanta, GAKunstrasen Ex Remover Signed and Numbered by the Artist Size: 60 cm x 60 cm Edition Of 100 2022 Screenprint with visual cues inspired by Roy Lichenstein with a street twist Born i...Category
2010s Street Art Prints and MultiplesMaterials
- Art Deco Modern Unframed Rene Gruau Hand Signed Lithograph Bonjour CherieBy René GruauLocated in Keego Harbor, MIFor your consideration, is a hand signed lithograph by Italian artist Rene Gruau, a famous fashion illustrator in the 1940s and 1950s. In excellent condition. The dimensions are 26" ...Category
Vintage 1940s Art Deco PrintsMaterials
- WNEW Frank SinatraLocated in Brooklyn, NYArtwork may be viewed at our warehouse in Brooklyn. Additional images and information are available upon request.Category
Mid-20th Century Realist Figurative PrintsMaterials
- TAA Trans-Australia Airlines original vintage travel posterLocated in Spokane, WAOriginal TAA Trans Australia Airlines vintage travel poster. Linen-backed and ready to frame. TAA Airlines was started in 1946 and was renamed Australian Airlines in 1986. In 1...Category
20th Century Realist Portrait PrintsMaterials
- Woodcut Self Portrait (unique state proof)By Jim DineLocated in New York, NYThis is one of Jim Dine’s earliest known woodcuts which the artist carved and printed in black ink on brown handmade paper on his kitchen table in London in 1974. This is a unique pr...Category
1970s Realist Portrait PrintsMaterials
- Cap'n A.B Dick (A) gray fisherman portrait sou'wester hat R.B. Kitaj lithographBy Ronald Brooks KitajLocated in New York, NYKitaj’s drawing is of a fisherman in profile, wearing a sou’wester: a collapsible rain hat. The image is a wry portrait, ostensibly of Albert Blake Dic...Category
1970s Realist Portrait PrintsMaterials
- Vintage Hockney Tate Poster, Celia in Black Dress with white flowers and rainbowBy David HockneyLocated in New York, NYThe poster features David Hockney's 1972 drawing Celia in a Black Dress. Viewed through elegantly drooping tulip stems, Celia Birtwell stares dreamily ahead. With one hand paused in ...Category
1980s Realist Portrait PrintsMaterials
- Jim Dine Rimbaud, the Coffee Exporter poet portrait drawing in earth tone sepiaBy Jim DineLocated in New York, NYJim Dine has expertly sketched the accomplished French poet and coffee trader Arthur Rimbaud. A vignette of dark brown surrounds his thin, fine features, which are defined with a flu...Category
1970s Realist Portrait PrintsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery