Louis Vuitton Furniture
Stackable travel trunks were the first products crafted by the renowned French luxury brand Louis Vuitton. Today, vintage Louis Vuitton trunks, which became available as railway travel was gaining popularity in the 1850s, are typically used as practical pieces of furniture or welcoming decor in modern homes.
The young Louis Vuitton (1821–92), who was born in Anchay, France, and founded his packing company in Paris in 1854 after apprenticing as a packer and box maker, began to make travel trunks as train travel expanded during the 19th century. Offering these new goods in his retail space on rue Neuve des Capucines would meet the demands of the clients who were shuffling on and off railcars in the country’s bustling capital. Trains as well as steamships were carrying travelers near and far, and Vuitton’s handcrafted rectangular trunks — an improvement on the standard round trunks, which didn’t store well — were soon coveted by the modern nomad. Initially, the wood trunks featured gray trianon canvas and, then, striped canvas of varying colors before they would proudly wear the famous Louis Vuitton monogram (integral to determining the authenticity of the brand’s revered handbags).
Louis Vuitton’s upright trunks — a variation on the brand’s first trunks that were introduced in 1858 — made for proper transportation of garments and doubled as actual wardrobes, ensuring that the finery of the day traveled wrinkle-free. Regardless of the orientation, the popular steamer trunks were equipped with bands to secure travel documents as well as convenient shelves and compartments of varying sizes for every possible traveling necessity, including barware.
In 1929, orchestra conductor Leopold Stokowski commissioned Georges Vuitton to design a special trunk. Georges was the only son of Louis Vuitton and had taken over the company’s operations when his father died in 1892. This special commission would yield no ordinary piece of luggage: Stokowski was music director of the Philadelphia orchestra, conducted the classical works for Walt Disney’s Fantasia and would help form the New York City Symphony.
He traveled the world with frequency and basically needed a portable office. Thus, the Secretaire Stokowski was covered in rugged canvas that was branded with the famous Louis Vuitton insignia, featured hardware in solid brass and stood over two feet tall. It was fitted with a foldout desk (subsequent models offered a desk finished in solid beech), drawers for sheet music and a box crafted specifically to hold Stokowski’s typewriter and more.
Today, Louis Vuitton’s furniture lines include sofas and edgy lounge chairs by the likes of designers such as Marcel Wanders and stools by Tokujin Yoshioka, but for vintage collectors and interior designers creating stylish living rooms, it’s usually all about the trunks.
Featuring exterior fabrics such as the brand’s signature Damier (French for checkerboard), heritage Louis Vuitton trunks nowadays add a rich air of nostalgia to contemporary homes more often than they do in private railcars. Whether they’re used as durable coffee tables, nightstands or case pieces, these time-tested steamer trunks are versatile. The right vintage Louis Vuitton trunk can prove a dynamic home accent for modern interiors or, nestled alongside distressed exposed brick walls, a sophisticated furnishing for rustic loft spaces. Find yours on 1stDibs today.
20th Century French Louis Vuitton Furniture
20th Century French Modern Louis Vuitton Furniture
Early 20th Century Louis Vuitton Furniture
Late 20th Century French Louis Vuitton Furniture
Early 20th Century French Louis Vuitton Furniture
1930s French Vintage Louis Vuitton Furniture
21st Century and Contemporary French Louis Vuitton Furniture
1960s French Modern Vintage Louis Vuitton Furniture
20th Century French Louis Vuitton Furniture
20th Century French Louis Vuitton Furniture
1980s French Modern Vintage Louis Vuitton Furniture
Louis Vuitton furniture for sale on 1stDibs.
Creators Similar to Louis Vuitton
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Key pouches are one of Louis Vuitton’s most popular small leather goods and restocks are subject to availability both on the brand’s website and through multiple retailers. For physical locations, consult the brand’s website. On 1stDibs, inventory from top-vetted sellers is routinely added. Shop a variety of in-stock Louis Vuitton key pouches and sign up for the mailing list for regular updates on stock.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022The best place to fix a Louis Vuitton bag depends on the severity of the damage. Louis Vuitton offers evaluation and repair services for authentic goods. Whether you inquire online or in a physical retail location, a Care Expert can assess the cost of a repair and provide you with a complimentary shipping label. Shop a collection of well-vetted preloved Louis Vuitton items on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022To find the date code on Louis Vuitton handbags, look to the interior. Unlike other luxury brands, Louis Vuitton does not come with authenticity cards but rather a date code stamped in the lining or on a leather tab within an interior pocket. Note, Louis Vuitton did not include date codes in their handbags until 1982 and stopped including date codes as of March 2021. Newer Louis Vuitton items instead have an RFLD chip. On 1stDibs, find a wide range of authentic Louis Vuitton items.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022The best Louis Vuitton bag for you to buy will always be a matter of personal needs and preferences. Louis Vuitton offers a wide variety of bags, from spacious Neverfull and Keepall designs, to more compact statement Twist and Boite Chapeau styles, and even more in between. On 1stDibs, find a large collection of authenticated Louis Vuitton bags.
- 1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021Louis Vuitton bags are so expensive due to their exquisite craftsmanship and durable materials. Additionally, the production of Louis Vuitton products is limited, which also increases the brands prices.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, if they’re post-1980. Modern Louis Vuitton products have date codes that indicate the country of manufacture and the time of year it was made. The date codes are usually tucked away in seams or pockets. On 1stDibs, you’ll find a large collection of authentic Louis Vuitton products from some of the world’s top sellers.
- 1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022No, not all Louis Vuitton items have date codes. The brand introduced the codes in 1982, so vintage bags produced before that date lack the code. In March 2021, Louis Vuitton began adding authentication microchips to their bags instead of stamping on date codes. You’ll find a large selection of authentic Louis Vuitton apparel and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Do Louis Vuitton shoes run small?2 Answers1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Whether or not Louis Vuitton shoes run small depends on the style in question. In some cases, the brand's shoes are about a half size smaller than standard sizing. However, others are true to size. Generally, Louis Vuitton shoes tend to be slightly narrow, so you may need to go up a half size if you have wide feet or prefer a roomier fit. Find a collection of Louis Vuitton shoes on 1stDibs.1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Some do. Louis Vuitton shoes typically run true to size for sneakers and flats. For pumps and heels, they can run about a 1/2 size small with some exceptions. Shop iconic vintage and contemporary Louis Vuitton apparel on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021The Neverfull MM is one of Louis Vuitton's most popular bags. It is not being discontinued.
- Is supreme louis vuitton?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022No. VF Corporation, which is based in Denver, Colorado, owns Supreme. A French company called LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton owns Louis Vuitton, with headquarters in Paris, France. As of December 2021, there is no affiliation between the two companies. Shop a large selection of both Supreme and Louis Vuitton apparel on 1stDibs.
- Is Louis Vuitton haute couture?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes. Louis Vuitton is a member of the Fédération de la Haute Couture et de la Mode (FHCM), which is the governing body of haute couture as an art form. Founded in 1868 as the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture and renamed FHCM in 2017, the organization has around 100 members — and Sidney Toledano, the CEO of Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH), sits on its executive committee. “Haute couture” is a legal term that, literally translated, means “high sewing” and refers to innovative, hand-crafted garments created for private clients and presented to the public every January and July. Browse a wide array of Louis Vuitton haute couture from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- Is Louis Vuitton real leather?2 Answers1stDibs ExpertMarch 22, 2022Yes, nearly all Louis Vuitton bags are genuine leather at least along the handles and trim. The remainder of their coated canvas bags is PVC-coated cotton canvas, but leather is the sole material used to make some Louis Vuitton handbags, wallets and luggage pieces. You’ll find a large selection of Louis Vuitton bags on 1stDibs.1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Yes, Louis Vuitton offers products made of both 100% genuine leather and canvas. Louis Vuitton canvas is known for its durability and is sometimes mistaken for leather. Consult the brands website for information about specific items and their materials. On 1stDibs, find a variety of authentic Louis Vuitton pieces from some of the worlds top sellers.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Wrap your Louis Vuitton bag’s handles with a scarf by knotting one end of the scarf at the base of one side of the handle. Continue winding the scarf around the handle, wrapping it as you go. Once you reach the other side, knot it at the base of the other side’s handle. Take care to wrap evenly and try to match the length of the tail at both sides. A good tail length covers the leather of the handle to offer extra protection. Shop for your next authentic Louis Vuitton bag or scarf from the wide variety on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Store your Louis Vuiton bag at room temperature, and away from light and moisture. Do not hang it when storing it, but instead set it on a flat surface with the strap neatly rolled up inside. Stuff it with tissue or fabric to help it maintain its shape. It is always best to clean it before storing and take it out monthly to air it out. Browse through a selection of authentic Louis Vuitton handbags on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022To reshape a Louis Vuitton bag that has creases or is slouching, you can use stuffing and warmth to coax it back into shape. Stuff the bag with soft fabric to straighten it out and recreate the shape you want. Then hold a cloth over the area you’re working on to protect it and apply heat from a blow dryer or steamer to the bag. Do not apply direct or high heat—the key is to work slowly and always protect the exterior of the bag. Shop a collection of vintage and contemporary Louis Vuitton bags from some of the world’s top reputable boutiques on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022How you wear a Louis Vuitton scarf comes down to a matter of preference. The various designs and styles can be wrapped around your neck on cooler days or simply worn loose around your shoulders. You’ll find a variety of Louis Vuitton scarves from some of the world’s top sellers on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022If you want to remove the sticky lining in your Louis Vuitton bag, there are several different methods you can use. Some people use tape to pull off the lining, others use an alcohol-based product, and some just use a water-dampened cloth to rub off the lining. It should be noted that you want to be very careful removing the lining as it can damage the bag. The lining is patented by Louis Vuitton and designed to be water resistant, providing an extra layer of protection inside your handbag. On 1stDibs, you’ll find an assortment of vintage and contemporary Louis Vuitton handbags from some of the top sellers around the world.
- 1stDibs ExpertJanuary 4, 2022There are a few signs you can look for to determine whether your Louis Vuitton purse is real or fake. Authentic Louis Vuitton bags have a soft Vachetta leather trim that ages to a rich golden-brown color — fake LV bags might have a pink or orange hue to the leather or stiff leather that feels like plastic. The heat stamps on genuine Louis Vuitton bags have crisp edges and evenly sized and spaced letters in only one font, while fakes may have uneven heat stamps with blurred letters. The zipper pulls and larger pieces of hardware on a Louis Vuitton bag have the logo placed in a central position, and all of the hardware on the bag should match. Louis Vuitton bags made after 1980 have a date code that begins with two letters to indicate where it was made, followed by four numbers that indicate the date the product was made. Shop a collection of authentic Louis Vuitton purses from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Opening a Louis Vuitton lock without a key can be done by a locksmith in many cases. If they cannot open the lock for you, you might be able to find extra keys through a Louis Vuitton store or an authorized retailer. You can also find Louis Vuitton lock keys available on the secondhand market. You’ll find a variety of Louis Vuitton products from some of the world’s top sellers on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Adding your initials to Louis Vuitton goods adds a personalized touch to your favorite luxury items. Louis Vuitton will monogram new and pre-owned authentic items at participating boutiques. Consult the brand’s website for more details. Browse a variety of Louis Vuitton handbags on 1stDibs.