Christian Dior Mustard Yellow Snakeskin with Gold Hardware Adjustable Belt
About the Item
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU247351612
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Alexis Kirk Gilded Gold BuckleBy Alexis KirkLocated in New York, NYAlexis Kirk Gilded gold hardware buckle (when together) measures 7 6/8" in length and 1 5/8" in width. Depth measures 1/2". When measuring each piece, ...Category
1970s Unknown Belts
- Alexis Kirk Rare Signed Hugh Gilded Gold Detailed Rhinestone Encrusted BeltBy Alexis KirkLocated in New York, NYAlexis Kirk wonderfully detailed huge gilded gold buckle is detailed with encrusted rhinestones. The buckle is signed and engraved on the backside. The adjustable black silk satin belt...Category
1980s Italian Belts$785 Sale Price47% Off
- Roberto Cavalli Cream & Ivory Hue with Gilded Gold Hardware "Cobra" BeltBy Roberto CavalliLocated in New York, NYRoberto Cavalli's wonderfully detailed "Cobra" belt is detailed in gilded gold vermeil finished hardware accented with cream & ivory hue enamel, and highlighted with faux pearl...Category
Early 2000s Italian Belts
- Gilded Gold Vermeil Hardware Double-Row Chain-Link Multi "Charms" BeltLocated in New York, NYThis wonderfully detailed gilded gold vermeil finished hardware belt with double rows of thick chain-link belt is detailed with multi-charms of stars, hearts, moon, cross and ...Category
1980s Spanish Belts
- Rare Jose Cotel Majestic & Whimsical Hand-Made Gilded Hardware BeltBy Jose CotelLocated in New York, NYRare Jose Cotel wonderfully majestic & whimsical hand-made gilded gold and gilded brass hardware belt is detailed with rhinestones along the front of this wonderful belt. What...Category
1980s French Belts
- Metallic Gold Lambskin Leather Double-Layer Double Wrap Tie BeltLocated in New York, NYMetallic gold lambskin leather is double-layered and can be wrapped twice if desired tir belt measures 2" and 5/8" in width, and 80 1/2" in total length.Category
1980s French Belts
- Vintage 1970s GUCCI Gold Chain Buckle BeltBy GucciLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1970s GUCCI Gold Chain Buckle Belt Measurements: Buckle Height: 1.37 inches (3.5 cm) Wearable Length: 32.67 inches, 33.66 inches, 34.64 inche...Category
1970s French Belts
- Vintage Massive 1995 MARGARITA BARRERA Sculpture Alligator BeltLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage Massive 1995 MARGARITA BARRERA Sculpture Alligator Belt Measurements: Height: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Width: 5.51 inches (14 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic MARGARITA BARRERA belt...Category
1990s American Belts
- Vintage MAISON GRIPOIX Multi Colour Glass Paste Flower Mesh BeltBy Maison GripoixLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MAISON GRIPOIX Multi Colour Glass Paste Flower Mesh Belt Measurements: Buckle Height: 2.36 inches (6 cm) Strap Height: 1.18 inches (3 cm) Wearable Length: 37 inches (94 cm) ...Category
1990s French Belts
- Vintage CHANEL Gripoix Flower Mesh BeltBy Chanel, Maison Gripoix for ChanelLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHANEL Gripoix Flower Mesh Belt Size: Height: 2.04 inches (5.2 cm) Length: 26.77 inches (68 cm) As seen on Carla Bruni in 1996 CHANEL Runway Autumn...Category
1990s French Belts
- Vintage HERMES Reversible Pop Color Double Strap BeltBy HermèsLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage HERMES Reversible Pop Color Double Strap Belt Measurements: Buckle Height: 2.16 inches (5.5 cm) Wearable Length: 27.55 inches, 28.34 inches, 29.13 inches (70 cm, 72 cm, 74 cm) Total Length: 31.88 inches (81 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic HERMES. - Reversible double leather belt straps. - One side is red and green leather straps. - Other side is brown and yellow leather straps. - Gold tone buckle. - Signed HERMES on the buckle...Category
20th Century French Belts
- Vintage Runway CHANEL Byzantine Multi Cabochon Cross BeltBy ChanelLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage Runway CHANEL Byzantine Multi Cabochon Cross Belt Measurements: Cross Height: 3.50 inches (8.9 cm) Cross Width: 3.50 inches (8.9 cm) Flowers Height...Category
1980s French Belts
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery