Hermès Rare H Logo Belt 223736
About the Item
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Dix hills, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Hermès White x Black x Silver Reversible H Logo Belt Kit 864her49By HermèsLocated in Dix hills, NYDate Code/Serial Number: J in a Square Made In: France Measurements: Length: 39" Width: 1.1" Height: 39" OVERALL GOOD CONDITION ( 7/10 or B ) Circumference in Inches: 30.5"-33.5...Category
20th Century Belts
- Hermes Silver Olga Charm 2way Necklace 212573 BeltBy HermèsLocated in Dix hills, NYMade In: France N square Measurements: Length: 18" fully clasped Width: 0.3" Height: 0.3" Signs of Wear: Some patina of the leather sections and scratches on the hardware.Category
20th Century Belts
- Gucci 90/36 Vintage Beige Web Belt 127g21By GucciLocated in Dix hills, NYMeasurements: Length: 38.75" Width: .1" Height: 1" OVERALL GOOD CONDITION ( 7/10 or B ) Signs of Wear: Length in Inches to First Hole: 34.5" Length in Inches to Last Hole: 36.5"...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Belts
- Chanel Beige CC Stripe Belt 858895By ChanelLocated in Dix hills, NYThis item will ship out immediately. Previously owned, unless otherwise stated. Made In: Italy OVERALL VERY GOOD VINTAGE CONDITION ( 7/10 or B) Measurements: Length: 31.25" Width:...Category
20th Century Belts
- Hermès size 75 Brown x Black 32mm Reversible H Logo Belt Kit 73h418sBy HermèsLocated in Dix hills, NYHermès size 75 Brown x Black 32mm Reversible H Logo Belt Kit 73h418s Date Code/Serial Number: B in a Square Made In: France Measurements: Length: 35.5" Width: .1" Height: 1.2" OV...
- Gucci Beige Guccissima Leather GG Interlocking Belt 737ggs324By GucciLocated in Dix hills, NYDate Code/Serial Number: 114876-214351-90-36 Made In: Italy Measurements: Length: 42" Width: 1.5" Height: 42" OVERALL GOOD CONDITION ( 7/10 or B ) Circumference in Inches: 36"-...Category
20th Century Belts
- Roberto Cavalli Black Patent Leather Gold Tone Logo Stone BuckleBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Bilbao, ESRoberto Cavalli Black Patent Leather Gold Tone Logo Stone Buckle 46 95 Italy Belt DETAILS Color: Black Measurements: 115 cm 45,27inches L x 2,5cm 0,98 inches W Item Name NWT ...Category
1990s Italian Belts
- Chanel Red Leather and Chain Medallion Belt NecklaceBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Red Leather and Chain Medallion Belt Necklace is in excellent vintage condition. Red leather is interwoven with 24 karat gold plated chain, measuring approxima...Category
Late 20th Century Belts
- Hermès Blue Electrique Epsom Leather Medor Belt size 80By HermèsLocated in Palm Beach, FLHermès Bleu Electrique Epsom Leather Medor Belt- Excellent Plus Condition Textured and durable Epsom leather in brilliant Bleu Electrique is accented with palladium hardware pyramida...Category
2010s French Belts
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Heart Mesh Link BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Heart Mesh Link Belt Measurements: Heart Buckle: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Oval Links: 1.45 inches (3.7 cm) Length: 27.95 inches (71...Category
1980s French Belts
- Vintage YSL Yves Saint Laurent by Robert Goossens Flower Charm Necklace BeltBy Robert Goossens for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YSL Yves Saint Laurent by Robert Goossens Shell Flower Wooden Charm Necklace Belt Measurements: Height: 3.75 inches (9.6 cm) Charms: 1.6 inches (4 cm) Length: 39.37 inches (...Category
1980s French Belts
Recently ViewedView All
This Hermès Baseball Bag Is, Ahem, a Home Run
The beloved Bolide, one of the luxury house’s classic travel pieces, gets a playful spin in this 2018 special edition.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery