John Galliano for Christian Dior Iconic CD" Logo Belt
View Similar Items
John Galliano for Christian Dior Iconic CD" Logo Belt
- Place of OriginFrance
- Seller LocationChicago, IL
- Reference Number1stDibs: v2381707072981353fs
About the Manufacturer
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
Shop vintage John Galliano evening dresses and gowns, handbags, jackets and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Saddle Belt Bag, Spring-Summer 2002By Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in Geneva, CHThe ultimate "it” bag of the early 2000's, the "Saddle Bag" is probably the most iconic and recognizable "object" John Galliano created for Dior. The prolific whimsical designer has ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Belt Bags
- Rodeo Storyteller Sterling Child's Belt or Hat BandLocated in Miami Beach, FLRare rodeo theme storyteller child's belt or hat band featuring 12 different rodeo scene concha pieces. The buckle is signed RS Sterling. Each raised desig...Category
Mid-20th Century Belts$600 Sale Price36% Off
- 1970s Alex & Lee Macramé Rope BeltBy Alex & LeeLocated in Scottsdale, AZThe Most Amazing Vintage Belt Is Here! Circa 1970s, this Alex & Lee macrame belt features various styles of multi-strand ropes and cords which are twis...Category
1970s American Belts
- Yves Saint Laurent 1990s Chain Link Leather BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZAdd this amazing piece to all your looks! Circa late 1990s/ Tom Ford era, this YSL belt features large gold toned rings link together by black leather. Includes a detachable YSL ring...Category
1990s French Belts
- Dolce & Gabbana Logo BeltBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Scottsdale, AZCirca 2000s, this Dolce & Gabbana belt is a staple for your closet! Made from smooth black leather, this belt features a gun metal D&G buckle with a peg closure. Perfect to wear with...Category
Early 2000s Italian Belts
- Chanel Black Caviar Leather Belt BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Black Caviar Leather Belt Bag is in pristine unworn condition. Black square quilted zip top pouch in durable textured glazed...Category
2010s Italian Belts
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery