- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
S/S 1994 Gianni Versace Silver Tone Safety Pin Medusa Pendent Hair Clip
About the Item
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Light scratches throughout. This item is not signed by designer.
- Seller Location:Philadelphia, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2388217501772
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
Browse an extraordinary collection of vintage Gianni Versace evening dresses, handbags, day dresses and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- S/S 1994 Gianni Versace Silver Tone Safety Pin Medusa Hair ClipBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an incredible silver-tone Gianni Versace Medusa hair clip, designed by Gianni Versace. From the Spring/Summer 1994 collection, this oversized safety pin barrette features a Versace Medusa logo. One of Gianni Versace's most iconic house codes, popularized by Liz Hurley...Category
1990s Italian Hats$1,116 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 2000 Dolce & Gabbana Runway Ad Purple Rhinestone Black Beret HatBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous black Dolce and Gabbana crystal accented beret. From the Fall/Winter 2000 collection, this chic beret debuted on the season's runway and was also highlighted in the season's ad campaign. The beret is constructed of wool with a leather interior band and features light purple crystal embellishments throughout the exterior. Add this ultra-rare Dolce and Gabbana hat...Category
Early 2000s Italian Berets$796 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 1998 Gianni Versace by Donatella Silver Tone Round Black Crystal Hair ClipBy Donatella Versace for Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous silvertone and black rhinestone Gianni Versace hair clip, designed by Donatella Versace. From the Fall/Winter 199...Category
1990s Italian Hats$1,036 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 1993 Gianni Versace Documented Yellow Check Flannel Paperboy HatBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a yellow check paperboy style Gianni Versace Couture hat, designed by Gianni Versace. From the Fall/Winter 1993 collection, this ...Category
1990s Italian Hats$1,000 Sale Price20% Off
- Early 1990s Gianni Versace Medusa Greek Key Medallion Brimmed Wool HatBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a chic Gianni Versace Couture hat, designed by Gianni Versace. From the early 1990s, this brimmed hat in black wool prominently features a large gold Medusa log...Category
1990s Italian Hats$1,036 Sale Price20% Off
- 2000s Gianni Versace by Donatella Greek Key Enamel Buckle Wool Wide Brim HatBy Gianni Versace, Donatella Versace for Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a versatile floppy Gianni Versace hat, designed by Donatella Versace. From the early 2000s, this hat can be worn down as a floppy ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Hats$1,276 Sale Price20% Off
- Gianni Versace printed silk and beaded 'Sea Shell' maxi dress, ss 1992By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GBGianni Versace printed silk and beaded 'Sea Shell' dress. Silk crêpe sheath printed with pink and gold sea-shells and star fish, the be-jewelle...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Original 1960s Straw Style Hat, Wimbledon, Garden PartyLocated in Chillerton, Isle of WightOriginal 1960s Straw Style Hat, Wimbledon, Garden Party This gorgeous Hat is very light and made with fine silky stiffened straw, it has beautiful large silk rose set in a large bo...Category
1960s English Hats$346 Sale Price20% Off
- Vintage 1992 Gianni Versace Couture Documented Black Bondage Silk Leather GownBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn exceptional and museum quality Gianni Versace black leather, silk & lace heavily sculpted bondage gown dating back to his 1992 fall-winter runway collection. This iconic collection, provocatively titled 'Miss S&M' definitely goes down in history as one of Gianni Versace's most recognizable looks. Versace’s fantasies came to life, fetishistic elements were worked into glamorous eveningwear, and with no small effort: Vogue said, “Getting strapped required eight hands. These high-maintenance looks were meant to be seen, not in a dungeon somewhere, but on the red carpet." As shown, this particular show-stopper of a gown, Look #62, has been worn by the likes of Christy Turlington, Tyra Banks...Category
1990s Italian Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- 1950s Cream Lace Picture HatLocated in San Francisco, CA1950s cream-colored starched lace picture hat with handmade french silk flowers, velvet trim, and bow accent. This hat is meant to be worn with a hat pi...Category
1950s Hats$140 Sale Price20% Off
- Yvonne California Black Pin Stripe Hat with Bow and Mesh DetailLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis Yvonne California hat is composed of a black material and features pin stripe stitch detailing. The hat is adorned with mesh and a bow. In excellent condition, the interior of t...Category
20th Century American Hats
- 1950s Green Velvet Couture HatLocated in London, GBFabulous vintage 1950s abstract, turban inspired hat consisting of a green velvet band wrapped around a black net base. There are no maker’s labels but it is a very unique and drama...Category
1950s British Hats
- Vintage 1960s Accordion Pleated Red White and Blue Floppy Bucket Straw HatLocated in Wallkill, NYThis is a show shopper!. Paul Bensam White topped Accordion pleated with Red and White Wide Ribbon and Blue Straw brim. It comes with a Crescent moon pin attached. The hat is approxi...Category
1960s American Hats
- Print Velvet hat with SequinsLocated in Alford, MA1950s hat in beautiful shades of aqua and rose printed velvet adorned with silver sequins. Perch it in different positions and secure with a hat pin...Category
1950s American Hats
- Mr King Plush 2-Tone Brown-Camel Beaver Fur Parker Bowles Bowler Hat - S, 1974Located in Tucson, AZLike Fedoras, bowler hats look particularly good on women because of their typically masculine association. This one takes androgyny a step further by combining an oversized crown, g...Category
1970s American Hats
- 1940s Robin Egg Blue Felt Hat with BeadworkLocated in San Francisco, CA1940s Robin Egg Blue Felt Hat with Beadwork, silk velvet cording, applied felt accents and a matching hat pin.Category
1940s Hats$155 Sale Price22% Off
- Barbisio Italian Vintage Black HatLocated in Milano, ITElegant Vintage Women's Hat of the Italian manufacture Barbisio, 1950s. The hat has an original label inside the hat. Superior quality. The hat is lined with shaved hare felt, silk belt, satin lining. Size 57 numbered 5. The hat is the perfect object to complete your vintage style outfit.Category
1950s Italian Hats
- Yves Saint Laurent Mod Cream Wool Saucer Tam Hat, 1960sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis vintage Yves Saint Laurent cream wool tam style hat, circa late 1960's, is too chic to ignore. This hat features a cream wool exterior along with cream pin stripe top stitch det...Category
1960s French Berets
- Stephan Jones Cocktail HatBy Stephen JonesLocated in Scottsdale, AZBe noticed with this whimsical and expertly crafted cocktail by Stephan Jones! He is at the forefront of the fashion world, as he has had countless celebrities wear his creations, ha...Category
21st Century and Contemporary English Hats
- Bottega Veneta Straw Beret HatLocated in Scottsdale, AZIf you're a lover of Beret's than this is one to add to your collection. 1980's Bottega Veneta Beret straw hat featured with a metallic silver/white leather tassel. Dead stock with original tags. The perfect cap to style with your Chanel outfit and YSL handbag...Category
Late 20th Century Berets
- miu miu Multicolor Linen Cotton Flat Cap with glass detailsBy Miu MiuLocated in London, GBThis miu miu cap is perfect for any occasion, featuring a lightweight linen and cotton blend fabric and elegant glass details. This effortless design is...Category
2010s Italian Berets
- Vintage 50s-60s Lattice Rhinestone TiaraLocated in Greenport, NYVintage 1950s/60s Lattice Rhinestone Tiara Beautiful vintage lattice design rhinestone tiara circa 1950s - 60s. Perfect accessory for a special day. Sparkling and radiant with a vin...Category
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery