- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
New Vintage Playboy Oversized Vinyl Sunglasses 1970's Made in Austria
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$49 Express Parcel Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 4-5 days. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Estimated Customs Duties & Taxes to the Continental US: $0.Ships From: Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- By Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandNew Vintage Christian Dior 2024 10 sunglasses oversized marble pattern brown lenses 1970’s made by opted. Manufa...Category
- By Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandVintage Christian Dior amber translucent sunglasses made in France mid 1960's. Spotless medium brown lenses. T...Category
- By Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandNew Vintage Christian Dior 2028 60 Jasped marbled green frame with spotless light grey lenses. Made in Germany...Category
- By Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandNew Vintage Christian Dior D59 Ultra wide frame. Spotless lenses. Designed and produced in the 1980’s. Made ...Category
- By Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandNew Vintage Christian Dior 2558 10 tortoise frame, gold circle accents with spotless light brown gradient lenses...Category
- By Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandNew Vintage Christian Dior 2026 30 tangerine frame with spotless light brown gradient lenses. Made in Germany....Category
You May Also Like
20th Century Sunglasses
20th Century Sunglasses
20th Century Sunglasses
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery