Dolce & Gabbana pink and black tie-dyed fur maxi coat, fw 1999
About the Item
Dolce & Gabbana
Shapely lingerie models, animal and floral prints and the Mediterranean heritage of Sicily have come to define the romantic and sensual style of Dolce & Gabbana, a leading international brand that from its earliest days of corsetry, copious lace and provocative silhouettes has challenged fashion with an audacious vision for femininity.
After meeting in Milan in 1980 while they were both working for Italian designer Giorgio Correggiari, Domenico Dolce (b. 1958) and Stefano Gabbana (b. 1962) would go on to establish their eponymous fashion empire in 1982. Three years later, a breakthrough for the duo materialized in the form of an up-and-coming talent showcase at Milan Fashion Week, where they unveiled an approach to fashion design that broke sharply from that of the era’s reigning Italian houses. By then romantic partners as well as a business, Dolce & Gabbana were outsiders. Soon, their distinctive garments — sexy, feathery skirts and stretchy jersey evening dresses that favored full figures — demanded the fashion world’s undivided attention.
Though Dolce & Gabbana forged a path in womenswear that would take shape with a 1986 collection called “Real Women,” the brand’s offerings broadened quickly to encompass knitwear, swimwear, lingerie, ready-to-wear, menswear and perfume. In the early 1990s, Madonna helped catapult the luxury house to international stardom: The renowned singer and actress famously tapped the brand to create the looks for her 1993 tour “The Girlie Show.” It saw Madonna working closely with the designers and even starring in their ad campaigns. Dolce & Gabbana has continued to develop a high-profile clientele that includes pop sensations such as Beyoncé and Lady Gaga. The latter donned Dolce & Gabbana’s armor corset dress in the music video for her hit single “Paparazzi.”
Rather than following the rapidly changing trends of fashion, Dolce & Gabbana have instead held to their close-fitting tailoring and decadent designs. The house continues to work with recurring themes such as the culture of Italy and Catholicism, which is manifest, specifically, in their widespread use of black lace, a fabric that references the dresses worn by Sicilian widows. The duo is also inspired by Italian cinema and its icons such as Gina Lollobrigida and Sophia Loren; in 2015 they introduced the Sophia No. 1 lipstick in her honor.
Although Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana separated as a couple in 2005, they continued their business as a creative partnership. In 2012, they closed their less expensive D&G ready-to-wear line to focus on exclusive extravagance, such as their Alta Moda custom pieces. Today, Dolce & Gabbana maintains a popularity with a wealthy clientele, and the house’s 2020s collections have featured technological experiments that update traditional styles, such as a bouclé jacket with a pixel-like pattern, as well as throwbacks to the 1990s fashion that made the brand a household name.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Pink Silk and Organza Evening Coat, fw 2003By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Archival Christian Dior Evening Coat ▪ Creative Director: John Galliano ▪ Hardcore Collection, Fall-Winter 2003 ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Museum Grade ▪ Crafted from exquis...Category
Early 2000s French Coats and Outerwear
- Jacques Fath red leopard print silk evening coat, fw 1992By Jacques FathLocated in London, GBJacques Fath red leopard print silk evening opera coat with quilted interior and large button fastenings. Fall-Winter 1992Category
1990s French Opera Coats
- Dolce & Gabbana floral beaded silk evening coat, ss 1999By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GBDolce & Gabbana metallic floral printed silk evening coat with beading and sequins. Spring-Summer 1999Category
1990s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Men's Gucci by Tom Ford bottle green pony hair trench coat, fw 2005By Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in London, GB▪ Men's Gucci bottle green pony hair trench coat ▪ Designed by Tom Ford ▪ Double buckle waist belt ▪ Large notched lapel and collar ▪ Two front pockets ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Men's Hermes black wool belted trench coat, c. 1980sBy HermèsLocated in London, GB▪ Men's Hermes black trench coat ▪ 100% Wool ▪ 'Hermes Paris' etched buttons ▪ Raglan sleeves ▪ Rayon lining ▪ Two side pockets ▪ Size 52 ▪ c. 1980sCategory
1980s French Trench Coats
- John Galliano black silk heavyweight showpiece opera coat, ss 1995Located in London, GB▪ John Galliano black silk showpiece opera coat ▪ Heavyweight ▪ Standing collar ▪ Allover parallel topstitch designed to add structure and volume to the fabric ▪ Cube shoulders an...Category
1990s Coats and Outerwear
- 1950S Black & Blue Couture Grade Floral Silk Satin Hand Cut Velvet CoatLocated in New York, NY1950S Black & Blue Couture Grade Floral Silk Satin Hand Cut Velvet CoatCategory
1950s Car Coats
- Pauline Trigère Marine Blue Collarless Crop Jacket with Red Lining - M, 1960sBy Pauline TrigèreLocated in Tucson, AZWant to look pulled together in 10 seconds flat? Here’s your answer. This minimal crop jacket has no collar or closures to distract from the rest of your outfit, while the rich marin...Category
1960s American Cropped Jackets
- Laura Biagiotti Purple Cotton Classic CoatBy Laura BiagiottiLocated in Brindisi, BtVintage cotton coat by Italian designer Laura Biagiotti, purple with three gold-colored buttons on the bust and two pockets on the sides. Made in Italy of 1980s in excellent conditio...Category
1980s Italian Coats
- 1980S PIERRE CARDIN Purple Poly/Viscose Sculptural Shoulder Dress With PocketsBy Pierre CardinLocated in New York, NY1980S PIERRE CARDIN Purple Poly/Viscose Sculptural Shoulder Dress With PocketsCategory
1980s Car Coats
- 1930S Lilac Floral Rayon Japanese Import Kimono RobeLocated in New York, NYThis kimono is as rare as it is stunningly beautiful. So we had to have it. Usually at Morphew we only carry pieces in pristine condition. However the beauty of this print has us looking past the signs of age and stains on this piece. Being sold as-is it is in lovely wearable condition it just sadly is not as mint condition as our usual wares. Please note photos. 1930S Lilac Floral...Category
Recently ViewedView All
This Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen Ensemble Is Part Zsa Zsa Gabor, Part ‘Blade Runner’
As Burton steps away from the brand, it’s a fitting time to revisit one of her visionary designs.
Vivienne Westwood’s Punk Spirit Lives On in This ’90s Tartan Ensemble
The shorts suit in a mash-up of patterns with an asymmetrical cut speaks to the designer’s rebellious spirit.