- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier Taffeta Trench
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- Yves saint Laurent Wool Cape with Mandarin CollarBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, chocolate brown, wool cape , having a mandarin collar and passementerie frog closures. Cape extends to the ankles.Category
1970s French Capes
- Isabel Toledo Embroidered Tulle CoatBy Isabel ToledoLocated in New York, NYIsabel Toledo, black and Ivory, tulle coat having a black embroidered "daisy" motif pattern and edged in a black netting fabric. The interior is lined in a solid ivory. The coat has...Category
Early 2000s American Coats and Outerwear
- Yves Saint Laurent Russian Collection Corduroy CoatBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, Rive Gauche, rust tone, corduroy, Russian Collection, Cossack style coat, having a slightly fitted semi dropped waist bodice, and a gathered skirt. Coat has a Man...Category
1970s French Coats
- Hermès Classic TrenchBy HermèsLocated in New York, NYHermès, blue tone, iridescent, cotton and silk, classic, double breasted, belted, short trench having generous, notched lapels, and slash pockets. Fabric content: 29% silk and 71% co...Category
Early 2000s French Trench Coats$1,695
- Bonnie Cashin Houndstooth Pattern Wool CoatBy Bonnie Cashin for SillsLocated in New York, NYBonnie Cashin for Sills, multi tone, wool, houndstooth pattern coat, having an exaggerated " Bertha" style collar and dark brown leather edging along the center front and collar and ...Category
1960s American Coats and Outerwear
- Galanos Wool Matelasse Coat With Braided BeltBy GalanosLocated in New York, NYGalanos, ivory, textured, wool coat with a fitted bodice and flared body. Wide lapels, having a braided belt detail. C.1970'sCategory
1970s American Coats and Outerwear
- Vintage Jean Paul Gaultter Multicolor Mesh Poncho Cover Up Top Size MBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage Jean Paul Gaultter Multicolor Mesh Poncho Cover Up Top Size M Product details: Size M Featuring multicolor and abstract pattern Mesh, see through and light weigh fabric with...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Tunics$600 Sale Price25% Off
- 1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Mini Trench CoatBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Scottsdale, AZAdorable 1990s Jean Paul Gaultier coat! Mini length trench in a creamy tan fabric. Accented with unique snapping closures at the bust, neckline and cuffs. Ties at the waist for a mor...Category
1990s Italian Trench Coats
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Belted Bondage Rust Cape DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Belted Bondage Rust Cape Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 15.74 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 33.85 inches (86 ...Category
20th Century French Capes
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Belted Bondage Gray Cape DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Belted Bondage Gray Cape Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 16.92 inches (43 cm) Bust: One Size Fits All Wa...Category
20th Century French Capes
- Jean Paul Gaultier Black Cotton Leather Vintage Long CoatBy Jena Paul Gaultier, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Brindisi, BtJean Paul Gaultier Femme 90s vintage black long mesh coat. Knitted overcoat, cotton fabric, sheepskin profiles, snap button closure. Made in Italy. Size: 46 It 12 Us 14 Uk Shoulder...Category
1990s Italian Coats$566 Sale Price20% Off
- Black wool trench coat Jean-Paul GaultierBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBlack wool trench coat . Pocket, raglan, snap. SIZE M/LCategory
1990s Italian Trench Coats