A/W 1999 Jean Paul Gaultier Black Magnetic Tube Jacket with Double Zipper
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 24.5 in (62.23 cm)Marked Size: 4 (US)Bust: 33 in (83.82 cm)Waist: 27 in (68.58 cm)
- Material Notes:Wool blend. Fabric Contents: 44% Wool, 28% Acetate, 20% Rayon.
- Seller Location:North Hollywood, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3084219458752
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: North Hollywood, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- A/W 2001 Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Black Crinkle Collar BlazerBy Yves Saint Laurent, Tom Ford for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in North Hollywood, CAA/W 2001 Yves Saint Laurent by Tom Ford Rive Gauche black crinkle collar blazer. Classic tailored 3-button blazer with black crinkle pleated fabric lay...Category
Early 2000s Coats and Outerwear
- 1990's Gianni Versace Purple Knit Cardigan with Red Beaded AccentsBy Gianni VersaceLocated in North Hollywood, CA1990's Gianni Versace purple knit cardigan with red beaded accented trim. Knit three-quarter sleeve sweater with center front clasp. 100% Cotton. New with original tags.Category
1990s Coats and Outerwear
- S/S 1998 Christian Dior by John Galliano Green Floral Pattern JacketBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in North Hollywood, CAS/S 1998 Christian Dior by John Galliano blue-green floral pattern jacket with lace trim details. Pastel green floral pattern jacket with c...Category
1990s Coats and Outerwear
- A/W 1998 Chloe Rose and Checkerboard Print Velvet Burnout SkirtBy Chloé, Stella McCartneyLocated in North Hollywood, CAA/W 1998 Chloe by Stella McCartney rose and checkerboard print velvet burnout skirt. Mini skirt with silk lining. 1930's inspired fabric button clos...Category
1990s Pencil Skirts
- 2000's Romeo Gigli White and Gold ID Tank TopBy Romeo GigliLocated in North Hollywood, CA2000's Romeo Gigli ID tank top with sparkly "Gigli" across chest. White cotton round neck racerback tank top with gold-tone glitter and rhinestones throughout. Maroon mirror circle a...Category
Early 2000s Tank Tops
- 1990's Issey Miyake 'Sport' Tartan Print Blue DressBy Issey MiyakeLocated in North Hollywood, CA1990's Issey Miyake 'Sport' tartan print blue dress. Long sleeve midi dress with deep blue and black tartan pattern throughout. Functional front pockets. ...Category
1990s Maxi Dresses
- Guy Laroche Vintage 80s Kimono Sleeve Pink Wool & Mohair Cape Coat, 1980sBy Guy LarocheLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible vintage womens coat from the 80s by luxury French fashion designer, Guy Laroche. In a coral pink thick but fairly lightweight wool a...Category
- Vintage y2k Fuchsia Pink Suede Laser Cut Out Womens Biker Jacket, 2000sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible and rare vintage womens jacket from the late 90s / early 2000s in a fuchsia suede with incredible circular laser cut outs throughout...Category
Early 2000s Coats
- Vintage Mens Leather & Faux Fur Coat, 1970sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireA stylish and rare vintage mens overcoat from the 70s by Sirela. In a darkest brown (almost black) leather with a faux fur inner and collar facing for warmth and to give a luxurious look. Size: Marked GB 38 which is roughly a mens Medium. Please check measurements. Chest - Marked to fit 38” / 96cm Chest (Seam to Seam) - 44” / 112cm Waist - 42” / 106cm Hips - 44” / 112cm Length (Shoulder to Hem) - 34” / 86cm Shoulder to Shoulder - 18” / 46cm Sleeve Pit to Cuff - 17” / 43cm Sleeve Shoulder to Cuff - 25” / 63cm Condition: Excellent Vintage Condition - Some light variation to the fabric as found with vintage leather. No noticeable stains, tears or holes. - Made in England - Front single breasted button fastenings - Please see our other items for more mens vintage fashion...Category
1970s British Car Coats
- Christian Dior by John Galliano silverblue mink and silver fox fur coat, fw 2006By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior fur coat ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Fall-Winter 2006 ▪ Silverblue-Mink fur ▪ Silver-Fox fur ▪ Black Lambskin leather interior and...Category
Early 2000s French Coats and Outerwear
- Christian Dior by John Galliano black waxed cotton opera coat, ss 1999By John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior opera coat ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Black waxed cotton ▪ Voluminous shape ▪ Shawl lapel ▪ Wide sleeves ▪ Two ties at the back fasten to create a bustle ▪ F...Category
1990s French Coats and Outerwear
- Dolce & Gabbana pink and black tie-dyed fur maxi coat, fw 1999By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB▪ Dolce & Gabbana pink and black tie-dyed maxi coat ▪ Sheared rabbit fur ▪ The same design famously worn by Whitney Houston during her world tour in 1999 ▪ Limited Edition colourw...Category
1990s Italian Coats and Outerwear
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery