Chanel Little Black Dress
About the Item
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- 90s Moschino Couture Red Piping Black Trim Long Sleeves DressBy MoschinoLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Moschino Couture red piping black trim long sleeves dress. - Collar lapel with snap button fastening. - Two piping black trim red open front pockets. - Cuffs butt...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Iconic Gianni Versace Black Lambskin Leather Medusa Sleeveless DressBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s iconic Gianni Versace black lambskin leather medusa sleeveless dress. - Four front pockets with black "Medusa" buttons closure. - Black Leather spaghetti strap atta...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Rebecca Moses Orange Wool Sleeveless DressBy Rebecca MosesLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Rebecca Moses orange wool sleeveless dress. - Featuring round neck with silk trim. - A line cutting. - Back zip closure with a hook f...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Chanel Cotton Colour Blocking Grey DressBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Chanel colour blocking grey dress from 2008 collection. - Featuring a number "5" with beads below the neckline. - Made in France. - Size 42. (no tag)Category
Early 2000s French Casual Dresses
- David Fielden Black and White Floral Print Tube Dress with Bolero Shrug SleevesBy DAVID FIELDENLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s David Fielden black and white silk floral print tube dress with same pattern bolero shrug long sleeves. Featuring a same pattern belt as wel...Category
1990s British Day Dresses
- Azzedine Alaia black white polka dot sleeveless flare babydoll mini dress FR 36By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Paris, FRAzzedine Alaia sleeveless flared dress in black with white polka dot print Fitted upper which extends into a flared full skirt Concealed back zip Size: FR 36 with plenty of stretch...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Oscar de la Renta S/S08 bridal ivory strapless vintage ruffle wedding dress gownBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in Paris, FRThe most beautiful and sort after of gowns from the Spring Summer 2008 bridal collection of Oscar de la Renta To begin with please note that our model is 5,10" (180 cm) and wearing...Category
Early 2000s North American Wedding Dresses
- Lanvin white grecian style washed silk crystal embellished wedding dress gownBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Paris, FRLanvin Paris Collection Blanche Resort 2011 A beautiful floor length grecian style loose fitting ivory gown with crystal embellished waist band that would w...Category
2010s Wedding Dresses
- Chanel 2011 pink blue pastel babydoll print puff sleeve midi maxi silk dressBy ChanelLocated in Paris, FRChanel Resort 2011 Rare babydoll style midi length dress in a beautiful array of pastel colours Abstract watercolour style print Sleeves are ruched a...Category
2010s Babydoll Day Dresses
- Christian Dior Resort 2018 brown cream floral print corset bustier midi dressBy Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRChristian Dior Resort 2018 Cream midi length dress with brown floral print Boned corset upper with underwire cups Button up front which is f...Category
2010s French Evening Dresses
- Valentino 18 white aztec leopard print crepe cady low cut silk gown dress IT 38By ValentinoLocated in Paris, FRValentino Resort 2018 floor length dress in leopard print motif developed in collaboration with artist Sandra Rhodes Print in Burgundy, pink and green...Category
2010s Italian Maxi Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.