Gucci Blue Geometric-pattern Jacquard Shirt Dress size M
About the Item
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Brossard, Canada
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Versace Blue Leather Cutout Lace Embellished Gown IT40By VersaceLocated in Brossard, QCFollow us on Insta @runwaycatalog Versace leather cut out floral details embellished with Swarovski crystal and sequins over tulle sky-blue gown. Tulle, crepe. Tonal bead and cryst...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Maxi Dress
- Nina Ricci White Cotton Blend Lace Dress FR36By Nina RicciLocated in Brossard, QCLined with silk for a luxurious feel, nina ricci's cotton-blend lace dress is a fantasy of a frock. The snow-white colour, flocks of texture at the hem and a-line silhouette make it...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Cocktail Dresses
- Naeem Khan Sequin V-Neck Fitted Cocktail Dress US 4By Naeem KhanLocated in Brossard, QCSequin embellished dress in deep V-neck design Deep V-neck Long sleeves Concealed back zip About 45" from shoulder to hem Acetate/polyester Dry clean ImportedCategory
21st Century and Contemporary American Cocktail Dresses
- Naeem Khan Beaded Gold Fitted Cocktail Dress US4By Naeem KhanLocated in Brossard, QCNaeem Khan cocktail dress with allover mixed beading. Bateau neckline. Three-quarter sleeves. Fitted silhouette. Hidden back zip. Nylon; lining, silk. Made in USA of imported material.Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Cocktail Dresses
- Gucci Long Square G Lamé Dress size MBy GucciLocated in Brossard, QCBrown polo collar Front button placket Long sleeves Drawstring waist Pleat detailing Sllover Square G pattern Made in Italy Composition: Viscose 80%, Metallic Fibre 20% Fits true to ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Maxi Dresses
- Gucci Crochet-knit Cotton Short Dress SBy GucciLocated in Brossard, QCFOLLOW US @RUNWAYCATALOG This beige and dark blue cotton crochet-knit short dress from Gucci is presented in an intarsia panelled style. beige/dark blue Crochet design Patterned int...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Mini Dresses
- Travilla 1970s Blue Floaty Chiffon Beaded Evening Dress with Sheer SleevesBy TravillaLocated in San Francisco, CAWilliam Travilla vintage cobalt blue dress (estimated 1970s) featuring sheer detailing and beaded embellishment at waist. Amazing layered skirt has t...Category
1970s Unknown Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage 1990 Givenchy Haute Couture Sapphire Blue Draped Silk Velvet DressBy GivenchyLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGivenchy, the name itself evokes glamour, refined elegance, simplicity and style. Givenchy's trademark of sculpted lines and luxurious fabrics make his work easily recognizable. This gorgeous cocktail, dating back to his 1990 Fall-Winter runway collection, is a beautiful example of his brilliance. The fabric itself is a masterpiece; liquid silk velvet in the prettiest sapphire blue color. I adore the seductive criss-cross plunge bodice with lean, long zipper-wrist sleeves. The sparkling rhinestone-encrusted side buttons create the perfect amount of drama to this timeless piece. An hourglass nipped-waist skirt with side draping finishes this garment off with a perfect femme fatale vibe. It is an exquisite example of wearable luxurious from one of the most important houses of the modern era. Measurements Bust: 36-37 inches Waist: 26 inches Hips: up to 39 inches Sleeve Length: 24 inches Total Length: 46 inches This vintage Givenchy Haute-Couture 72436 numbered dress...Category
1990s Cocktail Dresses
- Emilio Pucci Silk Jersey Signature Print Tunic Kaftan Style Dress 42By Emilio PucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA stunning dress by Emilio Pucci Modern Emilio Pucci signature print "Emilio" discreetly written all over 100% Silk Jersey Wonderful design with wide sleeves Closes with button on...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- John Galliano Vintage Teal Blue Silk Halter GownBy John GallianoLocated in Beverly Hills, CABeautiful Late 1990s John Galliano empire sweetheart bust bias cut gown with thin spaghetti strap with slit. Big bow ties in the front. Fit US size 4 or 6 Bu...Category
Early 2000s French Day Dresses
- Emanuel Ungaro 1980s Wrap Silk DressBy Emanuel UngaroLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous blue and off white elaborate abstract pattern silk damask wrap dress from Emanuel Ungaro Parallele. It has a V neckline with a wrap semi fitted hip length bodice tying at the side waist. The long sleeves have zipper cuff sleeves with upper arm...Category
1980s Italian Day Dresses
- 1950S Blue & Green Floral Cotton Alix Of Miami Sexy Ladylike Day DressBy Alix of MiamiLocated in New York, NY1950S Blue & Green Floral Cotton Alix Of Miami Sexy Ladylike Day DressCategory
1950s American Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
Explore a Century of Gucci Fashion in London
The iconic Italian label’s traveling exhibition has just arrived in London.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.