- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier Dress With Grommets
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: S, M (US)Bust: 34 in (86.36 cm)Waist: 28 in (71.12 cm)Hip: 38 in (96.52 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 39 in (99.06 cm)
- Place of Origin:France
- Seller Location:Water Mill, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU511752202
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Water Mill, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Jean Paul Gaultier Dress with Cut outsBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous rich brown silk jersey dress from Jean Paul Gaultier. It is sleeveless with a bateau neckline and X shaped mesh covered cut outs at each side of the waist plus a strip ar...Category
Early 2000s Italian Day Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Maxi DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous black silk jersey dress from Jean Paul Gaultier. It is semi fitted with a bateau neckline and a gradated draped ruffle starting wider at the front shoulder then narrowing...Category
1990s French Maxi Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Leather Bodycon DressBy Jean Paul Gaultier, Jean Paul Gaultier SoleilLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous black, supple leather dress from Jean Paul Gaultier. It is sleeveless with a detailed front consisting of leather strips and knots forming a circle at the waist and high...Category
Early 2000s Italian Day Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Color Block Maxi DressBy Jean Paul Gaultier, Jean Paul Gaultier ClassiqueLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous black jersey dress from Jean Paul Gaultier's Classique collection. It has long sleeves with subtly flaring cuffs flaring from just below the elbow which are camel colored...Category
1990s French Maxi Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Ombre Silk Flower Wrap DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA special dragonfly and flower pattern silk dress from Jean Paul Gaultier in shades of green, gold, coral and pink on an ombre yellow background. It is a wrap style with cut in shou...Category
Early 2000s French Day Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Leather Trim Silk DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous black silk velvet dress from Jean Paul Gaultier. It has incredible topstitched leather trim around top of the dress and neck creating tear drop shaped cut outs in the fro...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier Yellow Iridescent Silk Velvet Long Evening Dress 2000s NWTBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Brindisi, BtThis beautiful Jean Paul Gaultier long dress is a must-have for any fashion lover. The dress features a stunning Japanese print in yellow and brown tones, making it perfect for any s...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dress
- Jean Paul Gaultier S/S 1999 Runway Floral print dressBy Jean Paul Gaultier Classique, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Rome, ITJean Paul Gaultier flower print maxi dress from the S/S 1999 collection, worn by Devon Aoki. Long sleeves with crochet cuffs, meant to be worn off the shoulders. Brown inner petticoa...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Strapless Green Denim Bustier Top, 1980sBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireSize: Marked vintage IT46 but fits more like a modern UK 12/ US 8/ FR 40/ IT 44. Please check measurements. Bust - 36” / 91cm Waist - 29” / 73cm (has a little stretch due to knit at back) Length (Bust to Hem) - 11” / 28cm An incredible and rare vintage women's bustier from the late 80s by iconic French fashion designer, Jean Paul Gaultier. In a green denim with green ribbed knit on the back and a dramatic red and yellow jersey bow at the front that could be tied at the back of the neck in a halter style. Perfect for making a statement at a party. Condition: Excellent Vintage Condition - No noticeable stains, tears or holes. - Made in Italy - Front popper fastenings Materials: Label is faded; feels like cotton knit and denim and synthetic knit on red and yellow bow. Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Strapless Green...Category
1980s Italian Bustiers
- Jean Paul Gaultier S/S 2008 Cutout Sheer Mesh Panels Bodycon DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Naples, FLJean Paul Gaultier Cutout Sheer Mesh Panels Bodycon Dress IT 40Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses and Gowns
- John Galliano pale pink satin backed crepe trained evening slip dress, ss 1995By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano satin backed crepe evening slip dress ▪ Spaghetti straps ▪ Cowl neckline ▪ Trained skirt ▪ Multiple satin panels form a geometric...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier for La Perla c. 2010 Cone Bra Corset Bondage Red DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Naples, FLJean Paul Gaultier for La Perla c. 2010 Cone Bra Corset Bondage Red DressCategory
1990s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1990s Thierry Mugler Asymmetric JacketBy Thierry MuglerLocated in London, GBA late 1990’s Mugler asymmetric wrap wool and mohair loosely-woven flared jacket in an abstract check design, in black, white and sandy-brown, featuring a stand and fall shawl collar, three-piece set-in sleeves, two slanted jetted pockets, finished with a set of self and polished white metal adjustable House buckles at shoulder, fully lined in a black satinized lining. This item carries the Mugler authenticity label. Outerwear sourced by Stelios Hawa with the objective to bridge the gap between popular designers, Couture and clothing that holds a relevancy to a certain Era. From the high-end market, to luxury vintage; all the garments are sourced under the basis of resale for our clients. We offer restoration services to restore garments that may have become a little worse for wear and alteration services to ensure a perfect fit for your perfect piece. Alterations: With our on-site workroom we are able to provide a full alteration service for your precious find, with specialist craftspeople with skills in beading, embroidery, leather and knit wear...Category
20th Century Jackets
- Thierry Mugler Couture Vintage Sand Tulle Skirt & Gold Leather Corset Top & BeltBy Thierry Mugler, Thierry Mugler CoutureLocated in Portland, ORThis is an absolutely showstopping 1999 vintage rare Thierry Mugler gold leather strapless corset style top and layered tulle skirt evening outfit. This could be worn as an alternat...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- 1990's Jean Paul Gaultier Striped Bustier & Pleated Skirt EnsembleBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Studio City, CA1990's Jean Paul Gaultier brown striped bustier and pleated skirt ensemble. In excellent condition. Please see measurements. MEASUREMENTS: Top: Bust - 34" Waist - 23" Leng...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano grey silk trained evening dress, fw 2004By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB• Christian Dior by John Galliano • Bias cut evening dress • Cowl neckline • Front leg slit • Criss-cross belt with palladium Dior buckle • Fabric cov...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier Denim Vintage Jeans Blue Cutout Cut Out Romper Jumpsuit DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FR90’s sexy cut-out jeans dress by Gauliter! Gaultier Jean`s buttons 5 pockets. VERY GOOD condition! Size: medium. No size label. Model`s size in photos: XS Measurements: Armpit to A...Category
Early 2000s Informal Dresses
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Femme S/S 2001 Rust Brown Constellation Faces Maxi DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Scottsdale, AZJean Paul Gaultier lovers this way!! Gautlier is known as the "troublemaker" and is highly known to take risks and push the envelope. He celebrates femininity in any and every possib...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dresses
- Vintage 1997 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tortoise Shell Embellished Print Open Back DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1997 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tortoise Shell Embellished Print Open Back Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 15.75 inches (40 cm) open ba...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Raffia Knit Crochet Nautical DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Raffia Knit Crochet Nautical Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Bust: 14.17 inches (36 cm) w...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Trompe L'Oeil Sheer Tuxedo Print Mesh Maxi DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Trompe L'Oeil Sheer Tuxedo Print Mesh Maxi Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.77 inches (35 cm) not stre...Category
1990s French Maxi Dress
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Checkered Pattern Velvet Emerald Green DressBy Junior Gaultier, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Checkered Pattern Velvet Emerald Green Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hi...Category
1990s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery