- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Junya Watanabe Comme des Garcons Avant Garde Black Draped Asymmetric Dress
- DimensionsLength: 45 in. (114.3 cm)Marked Size: Medium (JP)Bust: 36 in. (91.44 cm)Waist: 28 in. (71.12 cm)Hip: 35 in. (88.9 cm)
- StyleIssey Miyake (In the Style Of)
- Place of OriginJapan
- Seller LocationSparks, NV
- Reference NumberSeller: 1D-19861stDibs: LU3863620823
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Sparks, NV
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Comme des Garçons
Comme des Garçons is one of the world’s most innovative and trailblazing fashion brands, helmed by its inimitable founder, Japanese designer Rei Kawakubo (b. 1942), who has a penchant for breaking fashion and cultural norms. The only living designer apart from Yves Saint Laurent to have a retrospective at the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute, Kawakubo has permanently changed fashion with designs that challenge traditional ideas of beauty with a creative and transgressive exuberance.
After studying art and literature at Keio University in Tokyo, Kawakubo worked as a freelance stylist before establishing her own label in 1973, opening her first store in Tokyo in 1975. Kawakubo has since been instrumental in pioneering many concepts now familiar in contemporary fashion. One of her most iconic moves was her introduction of androgynous styles (Comme des Garçons means “like the boys” in French) with asymmetrical, twisted silhouettes that envelope the body. While she told the New York Times that the “basics of clothing lie in men’s fashion,” Kawakubo believes in the concept of humanness in clothes, such as titling her spring 1995 show “Transcending Gender.” In the 1970s, when color-blocking was the norm, Kawakubo stuck to her monochromatic color palette dominated by shades of black with uncompromising dedication, although with evocative and powerful use of red and white.
Comme des Garçons is also known for an often shocking take on fashion. Deconstructed tailoring, violently slashed fabric and sculptural shapes are some themes that run through the brand’s collections, but Kawakubo never explains the meaning of her conceptual pieces, which fall somewhere between art and fashion. Even though the brand has more commercial offshoots like PLAY, known by the iconic heart motif with eyes, the premier men’s line Homme Plus and the multilabel Dover Street Market that opened in 2004, the essence of Comme des Garçons remains Kawakubo’s otherworldly and undefinable creations, which are impossible to ignore.
- Comme des Garcons Vintage Black Avant Garde Patchwork Shift DressBy Comme des GarçonsLocated in Sparks, NVUnique Comme des Garcons black shift dress with patchwork sides and painted "wet look" trim. Details: Unlined No Closure/ Fabric Contains Stretch Marked Size: Small...Category
Late 20th Century Shift Dresses$350 Sale Price36% Off
- 1950s Mam'selle Betty Carol Vintage Black Striped Tuxedo Wiggle Cocktail DressBy Betty CarolLocated in Sparks, NVDarling black cotton 1950s wiggle dress with a striped tuxedo detail and oversized collar. By Mam'selle by Betty Carol. Unlined with side pockets. Back metal zip and hook closure. Fi...Category
1950s Day Dresses
- 1980s Jacques Molko Vintage Black Patent Leather + Wool Avant Garde DressBy Jacques MolkoLocated in Sparks, NVBlack wool and shiny patent avant garde dress by Jacques Molko. Fully lined with front zip closure. Front pockets. Structured shoulders pads are sewn in underneath the lining. 100% w...Category
1980s Cocktail Dresses
- 1960s Rudi Gernreich/ Harmon Knitwear Vintage Mod B&W Checker Mini DressBy Rudi Gernreich for Harmon Knitwear, Rudi GernreichLocated in Sparks, NVRare and iconic vintage black and white checkered mini dress by Rudi Gernreich for Harmon Knitwear. Short sleeves and Unlined with rear zip and hook closure. Hidden side pockets. 73...Category
1960s Babydoll Day Dresses
- Lanvin 1980s Vintage Strapless Little Black Dress with PeplumBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Sparks, NVChic vintage 1980s strapless little black dress by Lanvin. Asymmetric button detail and flouncy peplum detail. Medium weight ribbed cotton fabric. Details: Fully Lined in Cotton B...Category
1980s Day Dresses
- 1960s Helga Vintage Cocktail DressBy HelgaLocated in Sparks, NVAbsolutely stunning 1960s vintage silk satin cocktail dress by Helga. Metallic brocade paisley design over gray silk animal print. Nipped waist with bow detail. Stunning construction...Category
1960s Cocktail Dresses