- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Pierre Cardin colour-block jersey dress. circa 1960s
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 10/12 (EU)
- Place of Origin:France
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Measurements Bust: 38inch/96.5cm Hip: 38inch/96.5cm Shoulder: 15inch/38cm Sleeve: 18inch/46.5cm Total length: 39.5inch/99cm minor yellowing spot on the white panel.
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU917112528582
Best known for creating groundbreaking fashion designs from the 1950s onward, Pierre Cardin enjoyed great success in other design fields, most notably furniture. Cardin’s chairs, cabinets, tables and other pieces share many of the keynotes of his clothing designs. They are simple, geometric, elegant and cool.
Cardin was born in a village near Venice, Italy, and raised in central France. Always interested in fashion, he left home at age 17 to train with a Vichy tailor. After the end of World War II, Cardin moved to Paris and worked for a succession of couture houses, before taking a job with Christian Dior in 1946. Cardin went solo in 1950, and quickly won attention for his novel style. Unlike Dior’s famous New Look, Cardin’s clothes de-emphasized a woman’s curves; his breakthrough pieces like the Bubble dress had, instead, a sculptural quality. In the following decade, Cardin introduced bright tunic dresses and shifts, marketed as the Space Age look and accessorized with vinyl hats and visors.
In the 1970s Cardin expanded his design work into furniture, jewelry and automobiles. (Later, licensing agreements would put Cardin’s name on goods ranging from perfume to sunglasses.) Cardin’s furniture pieces — inspired, perhaps, by the rediscovery of Art Deco design in that decade — feature simple, symmetrical forms, lacquer and figured veneer finishes, and accents in metals such as aluminum and brass.
Whether you are looking for a vintage cocktail dress or a chest of drawers to keep it in, as you will see on 1stDibs, Pierre Cardin offers an option in either that is timelessly chic.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Emanuel Ungaro printed crepe and linen hostess maxi dress. circa 1970By Emanuel UngaroLocated in London, GBThe French designer was celebrated for the colourful and elegant designs he imagined particularly during the 1960s and 1970s. Ungaro dared to mix clashing colours that created a st...Category
1970s French Maxi Dresses
- Pierre Cardin white and lilac pattern linen futuristic dress, circa 1960sBy Pierre CardinLocated in London, GBPierre Cardin created clothing that explored cut, form and silhouette in a manner that was new to the world of fashion. This A-lined dress constructed from a linen mix material rep...Category
1960s French Clothing
- Rare Lanvin novelty print dress, circa 1970By Lanvin ParisLocated in London, GBLanvin has cemented its place in fashion history as one of Paris’s most prestigious couture houses after the labels first boutique opened in 1889. This Lanvin dress is a rare piece o...Category
1970s French Day Dresses$818 Sale Price35% Off
- Jacques Heim psychedelic print silk cocktail dress. circa 1960sBy Jacques HeimLocated in London, GBJacques Heim is inextricably linked with the history of French fashion. In the years 1958-1962 he was the president of the highly influential Paris Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Cout...Category
1960s French Cocktail Dresses
- Guy Laroche black and orange dress and Jacket ensemble, circa 1980By Guy LarocheLocated in London, GBA beautiful and delicately constructed ensemble made from bi-color cotton. The dress features a fitted bodice with fine straps and adorned with a bow under the bustline. This black s...Category
1980s French Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Important & Rare Paco Rabanne Neon Coat Dress 1967By Paco RabanneLocated in Los Angeles, CAWe are pleased to offer an important vintage Paco Rabanne neon pink, orange, and green leather coat dress featuring leather orange ties, silver-tone metal fittings, 3/4 length sleeve...Category
1960s French Coats
- A French André Courrèges Couture Future Dress numbered 0045426 Circa 1970/1972By André CourrègesLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1970/1972 France Courrèges Haute Couture day dress in thick orange jersey from the early 1970s. Straight sleeveless cut, pleated tabs at the shoulders and slightly flared on t...Category
1970s French Casual Dresses
- 1960's French Demi Couture Black and Orange Gown with Shoulder DetailLocated in Toronto, OntarioBeautiful French demi couture slubbed silk gown from the 1960's. Striking contrasting combination of orange and black. Black fitted corseted bodice with thin straps. Tea length skirt...Category
1960s Italian Evening Gowns
- 1970S Black & Orange Hand Embroidered In Gold Wrap Skirt Made From Japanese KimLocated in New York, NY1970S Black & Orange Hand Embroidered In Gold Wrap Skirt Made From Japanese Kimono SilkCategory
1970s Japanese Wrap Skirts
- A Pierre Cardin Couture Batwing Sleeves Dress & Skirt Circa 1980By Pierre CardinLocated in Toulon, FREarly 1980. France. Pearly red dress from Pierre Cardin, in polyester satin, inner lining in red viscose. Under skirt held by two black presses inside the dress. Large three quarte...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses$1,014Free Shipping
- 1970s Pierre Cardin Terry Cloth Maxi Dress w/Multicolored Stripes at HemBy Pierre CardinLocated in Studio City, CAThis 1970s Pierre Cardin terry cloth maxi dress with fitted bodice, A-line silhouette and bright orange, acid green and purple bands at the hem. Zips up the center back. In excellent...Category
1970s French Maxi Dresses
- 1970s Pierre Cardin Mod Graphic Jersey Wool Day DressBy Pierre CardinLocated in Studio City, CAA Pierre Cardin sleeveless wool jersey dress in creme and brown with graphic print design. I'm such a fan of this hip and sophisticated mod day dress with its flared skirt and modern...Category
1970s French Day Dresses$1,400 Sale Price36% Off
- 1980s Pierre Cardin Haute Couture Navy Printed Silk Kimono Sleeve DressBy Pierre Cardin Couture, Pierre CardinLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous kimono-inspired dress designed by Pierre Cardin in the 1980s for his Haute Couture line. The cinched waistline hooks together at the left hip, creati...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- Pierre Cardin Avant Garde Black Cut Out Cage Cold Shoulder Tunic Dress, 1980sBy Pierre CardinLocated in Sparks, NVUnique vintage black avant garde dress by Pierre Cardin from the 1980s. Unlined with no closure (pulls on over head). 52% linen, 48% cotton. The marked size is 12, and the dress fits...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- Pierre Cardin Op Art Scarf Hem DressBy Pierre CardinLocated in New York, NYUnusual Pierre Cardin Op Art Scarf Hem Dress in hyponotic rayon georgette print. A simple sleeveless sheath has dozens of scarves applied at hip level to create a super interesting s...Category
1970s French Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
How Renaissance Man Pierre Cardin Became One of Fashion’s Biggest Names
The visionary designer's futuristic clothing and furniture designs are celebrated in a new show at the Brooklyn Museum.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery