- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1994 CHANEL black sequined dress with chantilly lace collar & satin bow
- DimensionsLength: 36 in. (91.44 cm)Marked Size: fits US 4-6 (EU)Bust: 34 in. (86.36 cm)Waist: 30 in. (76.2 cm)Hip: 36 in. (91.44 cm)
- Place of OriginFrance
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationSan Fransisco, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU817040422
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$20 Standard Parcel Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 4-9 days. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: San Francisco, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
More than a mere tastemaker, Karl Lagerfeld devoted himself to the continual pursuit of chic. “My life and my job,” the designer once said, “is to forget myself.” During his five-decade career designing shoes, handbags, evening dresses and other items for Chanel, Fendi, Chloé and many others, Lagerfeld was a quintessential chameleon, ever evolving to embody the times.
An outsize, instantly recognizable personality — his ponytail powdered like an 18th-century viscount, his eyes perpetually shielded by dark glasses, wearing fistfuls of chunky silver jewels — Lagerfeld was, above all, an avatar of style.
Born in Hamburg (in 1933, ’35, or ’38 by varying accounts), Karl Lagerfeld packed his bags for Paris in 1954. His design for a coat won him the International Wool Secretariat and landed him a job with the celebrated couturier Pierre Balmain. He went on to become the designer of Jean Patou, eventually realizing that his seemingly endless ideas could fuel a career as a designer-for-hire. As such, Lagerfeld lent his vision to everyone from Loewe and Max Mara to Krizia and Charles Jourdan, nimbly moving among a diverse range of styles. It was an unprecedented way of working in the days when freelance was still a dirty word. During the late ’60s and ’70s, he refashioned Chloé to reflect the free spirit of the day and, beginning in 1965, joined forces with the Fendi family, taking it from sleepy furrier to fashion’s haute-est stratum.
Because of his track record for reviving and reimagining brands that had grown stagnant, in 1984 Lagerfeld was handed the reins at Chanel, which had been gathering dust since its founder’s heyday. From his first collection, Lagerfeld injected the venerable house with a frisson of modernity. He riffed on its iconography — tweed skirt suits, pearls, camellias — accenting a lexicon of Chanel-isms with tastes of the moment. Despite producing eight collections a year for Chanel, as well as four to five for Fendi, Lagerfeld never faltered in proposing new ideas each time he put pencil to paper.
Lagerfeld’s collections for Chanel, in particular, displayed his knack for synthesizing old and new, high and low. From Watteau (Spring/Summer 1985 couture) and Serge Roche (Spring/Summer 1990 ready-to-wear) to hip-hop fly girls (Fall/Winter 1991 ready-to-wear), surfers (Spring/Summer 2003 ready-to-wear) and ancient Egypt (Pre-Fall 2019), Lagerfeld used each season’s inspiration to conceive Chanel’s signatures anew.
Browse a collection of sophisticated designs by Karl Lagerfeld on 1stDibs, including evening gowns for Chanel, vintage cocktail dresses for Chloé and more.
- By Karl LagerfeldLocated in San Fransisco, CABeautiful black dress with sheer net neckline and skirting from Karl Lagerfeld dating to the late 1980's. Labele...Category
1980s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- By Karl Lagerfeld, ChloeLocated in San Fransisco, CAIntricately beaded black silk dress designed by Karl Lagerfeld for Chloe dating to the 1970's. Dress fits a size...Category
1970s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- By Chanel, Karl LagerfeldLocated in San Fransisco, CATan knit camel hair cardigan with ribbed trim and gilt buttons from Chanel dating to the 1980's. French size 'S'...Category
- By Karl LagerfeldLocated in San Fransisco, CAStunning, jet-black, wool coat with neck tie designed by Karl Lagerfeld dating to the early 1990's. French size ...Category
- By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in San Fransisco, CALong black knit dress with red lurex detail designed by Azzedine Alaia. Square boat neckline. Beautiful seaming ...Category
2010s Day Dresses
- By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Tom FordLocated in San Fransisco, CAVery rare, jet-black jersey dress with bell sleeves and dramatic oversized purple flower detail designed by Tom ...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses and Gowns
You May Also Like
1980s Cocktail Dresses
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses
21st Century and Contemporary Skirts
Early 2000s Evening Dresses
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Gowns
1980s Evening Gowns
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Gowns
Early 20th Century Evening Dresses and Gowns
Remembering Fashion Designer, Collector and Supreme Tastemaker Karl Lagerfeld
The creative force behind brands like Chanel, Fendi and Chloé was as exacting in his interiors as he was in his clothing designs.
Chanel’s Boy Brick Lego Bag Transforms a Barcode into Art
In the hands of Karl Lagerfeld, even running errands became a chic exercise.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery