- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
CHRISTIAN DIOR Cocktail Embroidered Dress in Malachite Green Green Silk Size 38
- DimensionsLength: 39.77 in. (101 cm)Marked Size: 38FR (EU)Waist: 14.97 in. (38 cm)
- Place of OriginFrance
- ConditionIn very good condition. (was worn, was cleaned, some traces inside).
- Seller LocationParis, FR
- Reference NumberSeller: 199831stDibs: LU69533190583
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$85 Standard Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 7-9 days. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: Paris, France
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About Christian Dior (Manufacturer)
Christian Dior (1905–57) was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris. There, the visionary couturier would alter the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess — an expansive collection of which can be found on 1stDibs — Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- By Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRChristian Dior by John Galliano asymmetrical cocktail dress in taupe color silk entirely embroidered with bronze...Category
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses
- By Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRChristian Dior by John Galliano long dress in black silk. Sleeveless and backless, attached in the neck by invis...Category
2010s Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- By Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRChristian Dior cocktail dress in beige silk crepe cut at an angle, embroidered with silver tubes and Swarovski c...Category
Late 20th Century Cocktail Dresses
- By Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRChristian Dior black cocktail dress embroidered with marquise cut brilliant and black pearls with a bow at the c...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Cocktail Dresses
- By Louis VuittonLocated in Paris, FRLouis Vuitton long strapless Dress in gradient blue, beige and gray cashmere and silk. Size 36FR. It is draped o...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- By Alexander McQueenLocated in Paris, FRAlexander Mc Queen light and original dress. Color: green, black, red. There is a large flap. The dress is ve...Category
2010s Day Dresses
You May Also Like
2010s Evening Dresses and Gowns
Early 2000s Chinese Dresses
Early 2000s Evening Dresses
1970s Aesthetic Evening Dresses
1970s Aesthetic Evening Dresses
1950s Aesthetic Day Dresses
1990s Aesthetic Evening Dresses
Early 2000s Evening Gowns
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery