New Gucci 90th Anniversary Ad Runway Video Silk Dress F/W 2011 Sz 36
About the Item
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Leesburg, VA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- New Gucci Wool & Cashmere Dress 90th Anniversary Pre-Fall 2011 Sz: 44By GucciLocated in Leesburg, VAGucci Fall / Winter 2011 Brand New Without Tags $2850 Butter Soft Runway Wool Cashmere Dress IT44 Silk Detached Camisole Wool & Cashmere Skirt Black & Gold Gucci Belt...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- New Yves Saint Laurent YSL Pre-Fall 2012 Wool & Leather DressBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Leesburg, VAStefano Pilati for Yves Saint Laurent Pre-Fall 2012 Brand New Without Tags Charcoal Wool Dress Lamb Leather Piping and Collar Zips Up the Back Italian Size 38 Bust: 36" Waist: 32"...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- New Gucci Wool & Cashmere Dress 90th Anniversary Pre-Fall 2011 Sz: 40By GucciLocated in Leesburg, VAGucci Fall / Winter 2011 Brand New $1850 Butter Soft Runway Wool Cashmere Dress IT40 Silk Detached Camisole Wool & Cashmere Skirt Black & Gold Gucci Belt...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- New Alexander McQueen F/W 2015 Wool Dress $2425 Sz IT 46By Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen, Alexander McQueenLocated in Leesburg, VABrand New Alexander McQueen Heavy Weight Virgin Wool Dress Black Silver and Marigold Embroidered Floral Pattern at Hem $2425 Size: IT 46 It Seems to Accommodate a Size 6/8 U.S. D...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- New Vera Wang Lavender Label Evening Dress Sz 2By Vera WangLocated in Leesburg, VAVera Wang Lavender Label Brand New with Tags * Size: 2 * Metallic Gold & Taupe Dress * V Cut Front & Back * Spaghetti Straps * Back Zip Closur...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses
- New Jeremy Scott (from Moschino ) 2016 Runway Katy Perry Blue Guitar Dress IT44By Jeremy ScottLocated in Leesburg, VABrand New Moschino's Jeremy Scott Famous Blue Guitar Dress Italian Size 44 Bodycon With Plenty of Stretch Available Runway F/W 2016 Seen on Katy Perry $990 ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Day Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Lace and Crinkle Pleat Silk DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black dress featuring lace at upper bodice and skirt of crinkle pleated silk. Cream mesh straps, raw edge at hem. Back zip and hook and eye with snaps at bottom zip...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Moschino Cheap and Chic Black Mesh Bow Knit DressBy MoschinoLocated in San Francisco, CAMoschino Cheap & Chic 2000s black sleeveless knit dress with cut-out bow shape at chest in black mesh. Back zip. 86% rayon, 9% polyamide, 5% other. Unlined. Made in Hungary. Label...Category
Early 2000s Hungarian Casual Dresses
- Alexander Mcqueen 2009 Wool Black and White Houndstooth Dogtooth Check DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen sleeveless dress in the black and white houndstooth wool that became so iconic from the Fall 2009 Horn of Plenty c...Category
Early 2000s Italian Casual Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Silk Sleeveless Midi Cocktail Dress with Lace TrimBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black silk dress from the 2005 Hitchcock inspired collection 'The Man Who Knew Too Much,' which channeled Tippi Hedren and Marilyn Monroe. Fitted midi length silhou...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Lacroix 1990s Black Gold Accent Pocket Front Maxi Wrap Dress GownBy Christian LacroixLocated in San Francisco, CAChristian Lacroix vintage black full length wrap dress with gold embellishment at one strap. Fastens closed at other strap and wraps with belt and snap at waist. Patch pockets at fr...Category
1990s French Maxi Dresses
- Vintage 1969 Mila Schön Italian Couture Black Purple Wool Mod Target Coat DressBy Mila SchonLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn important and truly stunning Mila Schön Couture black and purple mod coat dress dating back to her 1968-69 fall/winter collection. She was living in Milan with her husband when sh...Category
1960s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
Explore a Century of Gucci Fashion in London
The iconic Italian label’s traveling exhibition has just arrived in London.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.