Vintage 1987 Christian Dior Haute Couture White Lace Off-Shoulder Bridal Gown
View Similar Items
Vintage 1987 Christian Dior Haute Couture White Lace Off-Shoulder Bridal Gown
- Dimensions:Length: 60 in (152.4 cm)Bust: 32 in (81.28 cm)Waist: 24 in (60.96 cm)
- Style:Renaissance (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3096810312
About the Manufacturer
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- Vintage 1956 Christian Dior Couture Blue Floral Silk Portrait Collar Full DressBy Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAThe House of Dior has been an enduring icon of Haute-Couture. While the House of Dior is still a thriving business today, Dior's untimely death in 1957 left the fashion world without...Category
1950s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1990 Michael Kors Documented Madonna Beaded Rhinestone Mini Slip DressBy Michael KorsLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn iconic and truly special fully-beaded rhinestone bodycon slip dress dating back to Michael Kors' 1990 fall-winter collection. As shown, this shows...Category
1990s American Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1950's Will Steinman Embroidered Ivory Chiffon Sash-Bow Full Skirt DressBy Will SteinmanLocated in Beverly Hills, CAFashioned in black floral embroidered ivory chiffon, this 1950's Will Steinman creation has everything a woman wants. The bodice has a gorgeous sweetheart pleated plunge and low scoo...Category
1950s American Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1950's Perullo Abstract Atomic Purple Blue Cotton One-Shoulder DressLocated in Beverly Hills, CAThis Perullo for David Hart designer show-stopper is one of the most alluring and flattering 1950's print dresses I have ever seen. Fashioned from a luxurio...Category
1950s American Ballerina Day Dresses
- Vintage 1960's Malcolm Starr Beaded Ivory Silk-Chiffon Empire Bridal Dress GownBy Elinor Simmons for Malcolm Starr, Malcolm StarrLocated in Beverly Hills, CAWith the sparkling embellishment and ethereal ivory creme color, this dazzling 1960's Malcolm Starr evening gown does not disappoint. The substantial weight of the draped silk chiffon fabric whispers high-end luxury. The bodice is an elegant shelf-bust empire plunge with sparkling adornment. Metallic gold embroidery and beadwork cover the whole bust; giving the garment so much depth and texture. This figure flattering designer gown...Category
1960s American Wedding Dresses
- Vintage 1970's Lanvin Couture Metallic Polka-Dot Charcoal Silk Lamé Halter DressBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Beverly Hills, CAThis extremely gorgeous and well-documented Lanvin Haute Couture halter dress dating back to their 1979 collection. I love the beautiful mix of charcoal, olive green and metallic gold colors. The fabric itself is a masterpiece; sparkling polka-dot patterned semi-sheer silk lamé of the highest quality. The chic low-cut halter has a dramatic silk grosgrain ribbon middle bodice which are also repeated at the hemline. The figure flattering cut nips in for an hourglass waist while skimming the hips. We added many pictures so you can see how special this garment is. Lanvin may be the oldest fashion house in Paris, but it has also managed to remain one of the most relevant. Through many years and many designers, it has stayed true to the vision of its founder, Madame Jeanne Lanvin...Category
1970s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- New Emilio Pucci Purple Knit Stretch Sheath DressBy Emilio PucciLocated in San Francisco, CAEmilio Pucci Purple stretch knit dress with boat neck and H shaped panel detail at front. Back zip and hook and eye. Branded 'Pucci' at zipper. Please no...Category
2010s Italian Casual Dresses
- Pierre Cardin iconic 60s vintage sleeves & midriff transparent mesh white dressBy Pierre CardinLocated in Antwerp, BEPierre Cardin " the man who dresses the future" It is so rare to get your hands on these iconic vintage 1960s Pierre Cardin pieces, especially in pristine conditions like this. We ar...Category
1960s French Day Dresses
- 1930s Monochrome Chevron Pattern Tulle DressLocated in London, GBThis is a very unusual and original 1930s tulle dress and reminds me of the work of the great American designer Elizabeth Hawes. This dress is unlabel...Category
1930s American Maxi Dress
- Tom Ford for Gucci SS 2004 Brown Silk DressBy Tom Ford, GucciLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous rich brown fine stretch silk dress from Tom Ford for Gucci. The dress portion is strapless then it is sheer to the stand up collar at the neck and to the elbows of the dramatic leg of...Category
Early 2000s Italian Day Dresses
- Leonard of Paris Fuschia Multi Color Silk Chiffon Strapless GownBy Leonard of ParisLocated in New York, NYVintage Leonard of Paris bright and flirty ruffled silk chiffon cocktail dress / evening gown, unmarked size, approximately US 6. Featuring four layer...Category
Late 20th Century French Evening Dresses and Gowns$1,400 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView All
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.