- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Chanel Haute Couture Black Velvet and Shocking Pink Silk Halter Gown
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 60 in (152.4 cm)Bust: 34 in (86.36 cm)Waist: 25 in (63.5 cm)
- Style:1980s (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU30918233622
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
Browse vintage Chanel bags, evening dresses, shoes, jewelry and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Vintage 1973 Chanel Haute Couture Guipure Knit Lace & Silk Velvet Black DressBy ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChanel is known to be one of the most luxurious and decadent fashion houses in the world. This breathtaking black guipure crochet-lace and velvet cocktail dress from their 1973 Fall/...Category
1970s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1990 Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld Documented Graphic Print Silk Mini DressBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChanel is known to be one of the most luxurious and decadent fashion houses in the world. This gorgeous black & white abstract silk documented dressCategory
1990s French Aesthetic Evening DressesVintage 1990 Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld Documented Silk Strapless Dress w/ ShawlBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChanel is known to be one of the most luxurious and decadent fashion houses in the world. This gorgeous sapphire-blue and black cocktail dress ensemble, dating back to Fall/Winter 1990, is a perfect example of why this couture brand has stood the test of time. Not only is this little number very alluring; it is so versatile and timeless. The bodice has the most beautiful shelf-bust strapless design. I love the sculpted bow-tie! This figure flattering garment accentuates the bust, skims the hip and flows in such an elegant way. The matching shawl takes the concept of a cocktail dress to new levels! Our iconic ensemble captures the essence of style: elegant, comfortable and practical. As Coco Chanel used...Category
1990s French Aesthetic Evening DressesVintage Chanel Haute Couture Ivory Lesage Embroidered Silk Bridal Gown & JacketBy ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChanel is known to be one of the most luxurious and decadent fashion houses in the world. This breathtaking fully-embroidered ivory silk gown with matching jacket, from their iconic 1982 fall-winter haute couture collection, is a perfect example of why this couture brand has stood the test of time. Not only is this opulent creation very rare; it is so timeless and elegant. Fashioned from the highest quality fully-lined ivory silk, both pieces has exquisite hand-stitched metallic embroidery, embellished crystals and the finest tulle inserts in relief by the House of Lesage...Category
1980s French Wedding DressesVintage 1970's Adele Simpson Black Draped Silk Chiffon One-Shoulder Goddess GownBy Adele SimpsonLocated in Beverly Hills, CAThis breathtaking Adele Simpson designer gown, dating back to mid 1970's, is one of the most flattering black dresses I have seen in a while. Fashion...Category
1970s American Aesthetic Evening DressesVintage 1940's Harry Cooper of Hollywood Ivory Sequin Chiffon Halter Bridal GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAEthereal Harry Cooper designer ivory-creme gown dating back to the 1940's Old Hollywood era of glamour. Definitely something Lana Turner or Veronica La...Category
1940s American Wedding Dresses
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Iconic Museum-worthy GIANNI VERSACE Atelier Long Black DressBy VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXGIANNI VERSACE A BLACK EVENING DRESS IN HEAVY LYCRA NET EFFECT, TULLE AND LACE BODICE WORN BY STEPHANIE SEYMOUR IN AVEDON'S AUTUMN/WINTER CAMPAIGN 1993/94. Was auctioned in 2001 on Sotheby's in NYC. Sotheby's auction item # 598 THIS AMAZING DRESS WAS DESIGNED BY GIANNI VERSACE HIMSELF and CAME FROM HIS PERSONAL ARCHIVE COLLECTION! Versace Atelier Content: 60% lana, 40% nylon Versace's phenomenal long dress makes an unforgettable statement with a striking Swarovski crystal embellished gold buttons and sheer plisse panels. Since it was runway sample it has no size. Approximately size 4. Versace at it's best! Museum worthy...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano floral embroidered silk evening dress, fw 1997By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Important and rare Christian Dior mint silk hand-embroidered evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano for his first RTW collection at Dior ▪ Floral embroidery inspired by antique Chinese shawls...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage Chanel HC Eyelet Ruffle Gown 1979By ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage haute couture eyelet ruffle gown by Chanel Made in France 1979 Black Decorative eyelets throughout fabric Ribbon bow belt Ruffle shoulder stra...Category
1970s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1990s Chanel Collection 18 Black Chiffon Gown with Gold Chain BeltBy ChanelLocated in Toronto, OntarioChanel Grecian inspired gown from the 1990s, collection 18. Pleated black silk chiffon with black cut velvet 1.5" thick straps. V neckline with an empir...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- A Christian Dior Lace Couture Gown Collection Ligne Oblique (?) Circa 1950By Christian DiorLocated in Toulon, FRLigne Oblique Collection (?) Circa 1948/1950 Paris France A Collectible Calais black lace cocktail or ceremonial dress by Christian Dior. Black and white transparency effect obtaine...Category
1950s French Evening Gowns$18,237Free Shipping
- Christian Dior by John Galliano grey silk trained evening dress, fw 2004By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB• Christian Dior by John Galliano • Bias cut evening dress • Cowl neckline • Front leg slit • Criss-cross belt with palladium Dior buckle • Fabric cov...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- John Galliano for Christian Dior Blush Pink Silk Seam GownBy John Galliano, Christian DiorLocated in Water Mill, NYA stunning Christian Dior gown in a pale pink silk. A long sleeveless silhouette it has an asymmetrical neckline and seaming. The dress skims the body through the hips, then becomes...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vivienne Westwood Couture red taffeta corset and ballgown skirt, fw 1996By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood evening ensemble ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Labelled as a 'SPECIAL ITEM' from Vivienne Westwood's Couture line ▪ Constructed from red taffeta...Category
1990s English Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1984 Ray Aghayan for Barbra Streisand Custom Klimt Beaded Gold Lame DressBy Ray AghayanLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a gold beaded Ray Aghayan dress custom-made for Barbra Streisand. This fabulous dress is the perfect culmination of the fashion, a...Category
1980s American Evening Gowns$38,200 Sale Price20% Off
- Chanel Embellished Green Sheath Mini DressBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZGet your hands on this rare and unique beauty today! Seriously, try to find this anywhere else! From none other than Karl Lagerfeld designed for the 2008 Spring line. This Chanel sheath mini dress is featured in a cool sage green with luxe brooch embellishments. Don't miss the adorable details of the embellishments like the little sparkly heels...Category
Early 2000s Italian Mini Dresses
- Chanel Cashmere Knit Plane Pins Navy Blue DressBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZKnits aren't what your grandma used to make back in the 80s! This elegant Chanel knitted dress circa 2008 is crafted from navy blue cotton-cashmere-silk blend, with a sailor collar and a chest detail, embellished with gradient-sized silver-toned metal plane pins. We love grandma, but it's best if she leaves the knitting to Chanel. Featuring a knitted style, a ribbed design, a sailor collar, a front zip fastening, a long-sleeve design, a fitted skirt, a short length and three silver plane pins on the chest. Please be mindful that this piece has led a previous life, and may tell its story through minor imperfection. This would be perfect paired with some Christian Dior sneakers...Category
Early 2000s Mini Dress
- Chanel S/S 2012 pale blue sweater waffle knit oversized backless mini dress 34By ChanelLocated in Paris, FRFrom the Chanel Spring Summer 2012 runway collection (Look 43) Waffle knit sweater dress in ice blue Bateau neckline Oversized three quarter slit cocoon sleeves A fitted waist Criss cross straps to a beautiful low cut back Three oversized silver tone pearlescent buttons to the back of the dress with metal CC's on them Worn by Jessica Biel...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- Chanel black wool dress pre fall 2011 Paris Byzance FR 46By ChanelLocated in Rubiera, RECHANEL Pre-fall 2011 PARIS BYZANCE Métiers d'Art Look 11/67 Black wool jersey dress embellished with 6 jewel ornaments. Size FR 46 Made in France 100% wo...Category
2010s French Cocktail Dresses
- Chanel Black Tweed and Metallic Sleeveless Midi Dress Size 40By ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChanel Black Tweed and Metallic Sleeveless Midi Dress Size 40 Product details: Size 40 Black tweed with metallic detail 92% Wool Featuring front slit design detail Rear zip and hook...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Evening Dresses
- Chanel Black Wool Tweed Short Sleeves Mini Dress Size 38By ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Featuring crew neck, dual front imitated pockets, short sleeves, front lit, rear black zip closure with CC logo, double silk lining with flowers and Chanel logo print.Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Day Dresses$2,360 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView More
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
A Chanel Wicker Handbag Gives Impossibly Chic Picnic Vibes
Only Chanel could elevate humble materials like denim and wicker to icon-level status.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery