Vintage Chanel Haute Couture Ivory Lesage Embroidered Silk Bridal Gown & Jacket
About the Item
- Dimensions:Bust: 34 in (86.36 cm)Waist: 25 in (63.5 cm)Hip: 36 in (91.44 cm)
- Style:Bridal (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU30913045122
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Vintage 1960's Helen Rose Couture Fully-Beaded Blush Pink Silk Hourglass DressBy Helen RoseLocated in Beverly Hills, CABreathtaking and incredibly rare Helen Rose designer couture blush-pink beaded cocktail dress dating back to the early 1960's Old Hollywood era. Helen Rose won two Academy Awards for Best Costume Design: for "The Bad and the Beautiful" in 1952 and for "I'll Cry Tomorrow" in 1955. She was nominated a further eight times and was well-known for designing famous iconic looks of the stars of this era. She designed the wedding dress of Grace Kelly when she married Prince Rainier of Monaco in 1956. She also designed clothing for Elizabeth Taylor in the movies Father of the Bride and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof as well as Elizabeth Taylor's bridal gown when she married Conrad Nicky Hilton. Helen Rose, like Edith Head and Irene Lentz, was one of the rare women who became chief costume designer for a major film studio. Her style was elegant and understated but still extremely innovative. This sparkling museum quality dress is a perfect example of her pure genius. The fabric itself is a masterpiece; triple layered blush pink silk chiffon that has been embellished by hand with elegant glass-beads, large crystals, faux pink pearls in the most gorgeous floral motif. Such dazzling 3-dimensional texture! The sculpted low v-neck front and back bodice really compliment the elaborate fabrication. I adore the hourglass nipped waist cocktail silhouette which Helen Rose did so well. Helen's couture line existed from 1957-1971. In 1957, the price for her retail version of the Liz Taylor "Cat" short chiffon dress...Category
1960s American Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1960's Galanos Couture Nude Butterfly Print Sheer Silk Pleated DressBy James Galanos, GalanosLocated in Beverly Hills, CABreathtaking Galanos couture large-scale butterfly print nude silk chiffon dress set dating back to his 1969 collection. Dedication to excellence in craftsmanship and design was the ...Category
1960s American Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Antique 1910's Julius Garfinckel Couture Beige Embroidered Net-Lace Dress GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAUnique mixed-lace dresses from the early 20th century are perennial favorites and this Julius Garfinckel and Co. garment is a showstopper. Garfinckel...Category
1910s American Tea Gowns
- Vintage 1910's Edwardian Couture Ivory Mixed-Lace Draped Layered Bridal DressLocated in Beverly Hills, CARomantic tea gowns from the early 20th century are perennial favorites and this one is a show-stopper. The garment's effortless style is so modern; the fine embroidery and mixed-laces are a treasure trove of needle art. This beauty, made up of four different couture fabric, is also lavishly draped with silk satin and antique appliques. The exacting perfection of the layered skirting is beyond compare, while the sheer long sleeves has a magical allure. We needed to add many detail pictures so one can appreciate the masterful achievement. This ethereal dress...Category
1910s American Wedding Dresses
- Vintage 1930's Cartwright Ivory Striped Silk Rayon Cut-Out Maxi Dress & JacketLocated in Beverly Hills, CAThe vibrant rainbow-stripe used on this ivory silk rayon 1930's "Cartwright" designer dress ensemble has a whimsical allure that I find irresistible. The sleeveless bodice has a flir...Category
1930s American Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1965 Balenciaga Haute Couture Metallic Pink Beaded Silk Strapless DressBy BalenciagaLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA stunning and incredibly rare Balenciaga metallic-gold brocaded pink silk evening dress from his 1965 Spring-Summer collection. Cristobal Balenciaga began his life's work in fashion...Category
1960s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Roberto Cavalli Embroidered Cheetah Lace Up Silk Dress Tunic as seen on JLO XSBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Switzerland, CHRoberto Cavalli Main Line As seen on Jennifer JLO Lopez Finest silk printed with signature Cavalli cheetah theme Signed Roberto Cavalli on silk all over Leather lace up in front, can...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Mini Dress
- UNWORN Emilio Pucci Silk Jersey Fan Signature Print Cocktail Dress 40By Emilio PucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA stunning dress by Emilio Pucci. The striking print and style of this dress echoes the Twenties and its art deco style movement and has been brought up to date in this playful yet f...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Chloe S/S10 ivory white beige chiffon silk layered sleeveless wedding dress gownBy ChloéLocated in Paris, FRLook 29 from the Chloe Spring Summer 2010 runway collection Floor length silk gown in what one would call off white/ecru, or a very pale beige Sleeveless ...Category
2010s Unknown Wedding Dresses
- Celine Phoebe Philo cream ribbed stretch body con knitted sweater midi dressBy CelineLocated in Paris, FRCeline Phoebe Philo Resort 2017 A beautifully stretch fitted knit ribbed dress in cream as seen on Kim Kardashian Turned up hem Small slits to each cuff Midi length Wear in the day w...Category
2010s Italian Informal Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier multicoloured floral silk halterneck dress, ss 2001By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Jean Paul Gaultier halterneck silk dress ▪ Enlarged multicoloured floral print ▪ Accordion pleated bust with halterneck ties ▪ Nude accordion pleated silk chiffon shoulder straps...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.