- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Christian Dior Dress in Black Velvet & Net W Pouf Skirt & Winged Bust
- DimensionsBust: 36 in. (91.44 cm)Waist: 28 in. (71.12 cm)
- StyleAvant Garde (In the Style Of)
- Place of OriginFrance
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. No visible issues found! Great condition!
- Seller LocationPortland, OR
- Reference NumberSeller: 27961stDibs: LU22325478212
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$70 Standard Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 1-2 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: Portland, OR
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About Christian Dior (Designer)
Christian Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris. There, the visionary couturier would alter the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess — an expansive collection of which can be found at 1stDibs — Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- By Christian DiorLocated in Portland, ORThis is an exquisite vintage 2 piece 100% silk chiffon dress from Christian Dior. The dress is numbered 24396 a...Category
20th Century Evening Dresses
- By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Portland, ORThis is an absolutely stunning strapless black satin evening dress designed by John Galliano for Christian Dior'...Category
Early 2000s Chinese Dresses
- By Christian DiorLocated in Portland, ORThis is a beautiful black velvet Christian Dior evening dress labeled a size 40. The dress has buttons and a zi...Category
Late 20th Century Cocktail DressesSize: French Size 40$895
- By Christian DiorLocated in Portland, ORThis is a lovely vintage Christian Dior numbered couture dress in a beige / gold silk with a matching sash or sc...Category
1970s Day DressesSize: see description$1,500
- By Geoffrey BeeneLocated in Portland, ORThis is an outstanding early 1990's vintage Geoffrey Beene sheer black and gold metallic lace dress with a layer...Category
1990s Evening DressesSize: 6- measurements in description$1,800
- By Geoffrey BeeneLocated in Portland, ORWe love Geoffrey Beene and this is an iconic Geoffrey beene dress from the 1960's. This black wool mini dress ha...Category
1960s Mini DressSize: see description$895
You May Also Like
1950s Evening Dresses
1950s Skirt Suits
1990s Cocktail Dresses
1960s Cocktail Dresses
1980s Evening Dresses and Gowns
1960s Evening Dresses
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses
Early 2000s Evening Dresses and Gowns
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery