Gucci Dragon-Embroidered Washed-Cotton Field Jacket
View Similar Items
Gucci Dragon-Embroidered Washed-Cotton Field Jacket
About the Item
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Bvlgari Octo Verlcissimo 42MM Stainless Steel And Alligator WatchBy BvlgariLocated in London, GBThis ‘Octo Verlcissimo' 42mm timepiece by Bvlgari has been crafted at the brand's Swiss atelier from stainless steel with an intricate automatic movement...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Ulysse Nardin Diver Black Sea 46MM Steel And Rubber WatchBy Ulysse NardinLocated in London, GBThis ‘Diver Black Sea' 46mm timepiece by Ulysse Nardin has been crafted at the brand's Swiss atelier from steel with an intricate automatic movement and ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Cocktail Dresses
- Hermès 2011 Kelly Sellier 40cm Crocodile Prorsus Leather BagBy HermèsLocated in London, GBHermès 2011 Kelly Sellier 40cm Crocodile Porosus leather bag. Made in France, this beautiful 2011 Hermès ‘Kelly Sellier’ 40cm handbag has been made from bl...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Structured Shoulder Bags
- Prada Pocket Leather And Nylon Shoulder BagBy PradaLocated in London, GBPrada Pocket leather and nylon shoulder bag. Black. Buckle fastening at front. Does not come with dustbag or box. Height: 6.4 in. Width: 2 in. Depth: 5 in...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Top Handle Bags
- Valentino Garavani Embroidered Canvas And Leather Bag StrapBy ValentinoLocated in London, GBValentino Garavani embroidered canvas and leather bag strap. Black, pink, red and grey. Lobster clasp fastening at base. Does not come with box or dustbag. Max. Length: 51 in. Min. L...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Belt Bags
- Valentino Embroidered Canvas And Leather Bag StrapBy ValentinoLocated in London, GBValentino embroidered canvas and leather bag strap. Made from black and green panther embroidered canvas and black leather and silver-tone clasps. L: 41 ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Miscellaneous
- Vintage Tom Ford for Gucci S/S 2003 Runway Silk Men's Cocktail Blazer Italian 50By Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Montgomery, TXRare Tom Ford for Gucci Silk Cocktail Evening Blazer Tuxedo Jacket Spring / Summer 2003 Runway Collection Designer size 50 R - US 40 R 100% Silk, Black and Gray Colors, Black Shawl L...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blazers
- Louis Vuitton Black Denim Ruffled Crop Jacket MBy Louis VuittonLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Infuse an extra dose of style into your outfit with this highly fashionable jacket. Tailored from quality materials, it embodies a contemporary vibe and is filled with functional cha...Category
2010s Italian Jackets
- Vivienne Westwood black striped wool Armour Jacket, fw 1989By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood, black and white striped wool Armour Jacket. Detachable sleeves with leather buckles, embroidered Orb on chest and signature Westwood buttons. Time Machine, Fall-W...Category
1980s British Jackets
- Ted Lapidus Vintage Brown and Gold Jacket with LaceBy Ted LapidusLocated in Milano, ITSimple and beautiful vintage jacket from the 1990s by Ted Lapidus, made in Paris. ORIGINAL LABEL. The coat is totally made of chocolate brown acetate and has long sleeves with wider ...Category
- Evening jacket in tweed with mink collar and cuffs BlumarineBy BlumarineLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FREvening single-breasted jacket in tweed with mink collar, cuff and belt. Studs, rhinestone and eyelet embroidered collar. SIZE SCategory
2010s Italian Jackets
- A Vintage 1980s Embroidered Chinese Jacket with Fur Lining.Located in London, GBA chic vintage fur lined Chinese jacket. The jacket is in a black silk with yellow/green floral design , and is fur lined. It fastens with toggles, a...Category
1980s Chinese Jackets
Recently ViewedView All
Explore a Century of Gucci Fashion in London
The iconic Italian label’s traveling exhibition has just arrived in London.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.