Hermes Martin Margiela Era Long Jacket F/W 1998
About the Item
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Venezia, Italy
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Moschino Cheap And Chic "Piercing" SkirtBy Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Venezia, ITMoschino Cheap And Chic "Piercing" Jacket 1990s Size: 44 IT Measures: Waist 37cm / Length 55cm Materials: 100% Wool Conditions: ExcellentCategory
- Alexander McQueen 2000s JacketBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Venezia, ITRare Alexander McQueen Jacket 2000s 100% Fleece Wool - NO RETURNS If you need more information, please contacting us.Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Dolce e Gabbana Runway Jacket F/W 1992By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Venezia, ITRare Dolce & Gabbana Runway Jacket Used in the iconic campaign with Kate Moss and Nadja Auermann by Steven Meisel Fall / Winter 1992 Size: 42 Measures: Shoulders 42cm / Length 70...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Moschino Couture "Cruise me Baby!" Runway Jacket S/S 1991By Moschino CoutureLocated in Venezia, ITSuper Rare and iconic Moschino Couture "Cruise me Baby!" Runway Jacket S/S 1991 Size: 48 Measures: Shoulders 45cm / Length 48cm Materials: 55% Acetate 45% Rayon Conditions: Excellent.Category
1990s Italian Bolero Jackets
- Hermes Martin Margiela Era JacketBy HermèsLocated in Venezia, ITRare Hermes Martin Margiela Jacket 1990s - NO RETURNS If you need more information, please contact us!Category
- Jean Paul Gaultier Jeans "Fight Racism" Skirt 1997By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Venezia, ITJean Paul Gaultier Jeans "Fight Racism" Skirt Fall / Winter 1997 Size: 42 Materials: 100% Cotton Measures: Waist 40cm / Length 45cm Conditions: Excellent.Category
- Y's Yohji Yamamoto Black Bomber JacketBy Yohji Yamamoto, Yohji Yamamoto Y'sLocated in Oakland, CAY's by Yohji Yamamoto classic cut black bomber jacket. Mock neck with button closure. Sturdy two way zipper. Button closure at waist. Slanted s...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Japanese Jackets
- 1980's Sonia Rykiel France Evening Wear Lightweight Silk Velvet Lame DusterBy Sonya RykielLocated in Tustin, CAExquisite 1980's evening wear coat, jacket, blazer or duster is lightweight, vented and easy to wear for dining, parties and dancing, with an animal patterned, soft silk velvet and s...Category
1980s French Single-Breasted Jackets
Recently ViewedView All
The Hermès Passe-Guide Bag Might Not Be as Well Known as the Birkin or Kelly, But It’s Every Bit as Chic
Find out why this under-the-radar piece is so exceptional.
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.