- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier Beaded Blazer
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 31 in (78.74 cm)Marked Size: 42 (EU)Bust: 32 in (81.28 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 28 in (71.12 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Hudson, NY
- Reference Number:Seller: MOD-004521stDibs: LU3068218220812
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kingston, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Black Velvet Ribbon CapeletBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Hudson, NYYves Saint Laurent rive gauche, black velvet capelet with ribbon ties and snap front closure 30" length; 40" chest; 20" sleeve length EU 40Category
Late 20th Century French Capes$225Free Shipping
- Valentino black and white houndstooth blazerBy ValentinoLocated in Hudson, NYValentino black and white houndstooth blazer 2010 US 12Category
2010s Italian Bolero Jackets$245Free Shipping
- Monika Chiang navy dusterLocated in Hudson, NYMonika Chiang navy wool and alpaca duster with 100% leather trimCategory
21st Century and Contemporary American Jackets$250Free Shipping
- Very Vintage Saks Fifth Avenue Green RobeBy Saks Fifth AvenueLocated in Hudson, NYSaks Fifth Avenue very vintage glamour robeCategory
Late 20th Century American Smoking Jackets$250Free Shipping
- Valentino Miss V "croce rossa Italiana" navy blazerBy Valentino Miss VLocated in Hudson, NYValentino Miss V navy blazer with "croce rossa Italiana" arm patch EU 44Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Blazers$210Free Shipping
- Christian Lacroix, cream, three-button blazer, lace detail and trapezoid pocketsBy Christian LacroixLocated in Hudson, NYThe Christian Lacroix creme blazer is an exquisite piece of fashion featuring three buttons and black lace detail along the pockets and cuffs. Crafted with luxury materials, this chi...Category
Early 2000s French Blazers
- 1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Sleeveless Leather JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Austin, TX1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Sleeveless Leather Jacket Condition: Good, all over wear Size L 42" bust, 38" waist, 20" length 100% leather / Cotton liningCategory
1990s French Vests
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 22.05 inches (56 cm) Sleeves: 24 inches (61 cm) Bust: 24 i...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15 inches (38.10 cm) Sleeve...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest DressBy JPG by Gaultier, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Waist: 13.77 inches (35 cm) Hips: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Length: 43.30 inches (110 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - Dark denim 2 in 1 convertible dress...Category
1990s French Informal Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Cyberbaba" Body Optical Illusion Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Cyberbaba" Body Optical Illusion Blazer Jacket Approximate measurements taken laid flat, double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 22 inches (56 cm) Bust: 18.11 inches (46 cm) Waist: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Length: 31.89 inches (81 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - From Gaultier 1996...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Vintage 1989 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Leopard Print Corset Flare Vest JacketBy Gaultier Junior, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1989 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Leopard Print Corset Flare Vest Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 19.29...Category
1980s French Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery