- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier multicoloured satin evening robe and cummerbund, fw 1984
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: IT 40 - FR 36 - UK 8 - US 4 (EU)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU140211742062
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Jean Paul Gaultier purple and black satin jacket, fw 1986By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GBJean Paul Gaultier purple and black striped satin oversized jacket with ribbed wool cuffs and collar, two front pockets and zip fastenings. Fall-Winter 1986Category
- Jean Paul Gaultier reversible chiffon and jacquard evening robe, fw 1994By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Jean Paul Gaultier reversible kimono style wrap jacket ▪ 73% Rayon, 27% Triacetate ▪ Wide sleeves ▪ Two front pockets on both sides ▪ Long waist belts ▪ IT 42 - FR 38 - UK 10 -...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Men's Jean Paul Gaultier black wool blazer jacket with caged sleeves, ss 1989By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Men's Jean Paul Gaultier black double-breasted blazer jacket ▪ 100% Wool ▪ Caged sleeves ▪ Peak lapels ▪ Provenance: Pete Burns (1959–2016) ▪ Size 48 ▪ Spring-Summer 1989Category
1980s Italian Blazers
- Jean Paul Gaultier gold lace and silk organza corseted jacket, ss 1988By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GBJean Paul Gaultier gold lace corseted jacket backed with black silk organza. Spring-Summer 1988Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- Dolce & Gabbana blue goat hair jacket, fw 1999By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB▪ Dolce & Gabbana blue goat hair jacket ▪ Fox hair ribbons ▪ Cropped sleeves ▪ Silk chiffon lining ▪ Snap button closures ▪ IT 42 - FR 38 - ...Category
- Alexander McQueen black cashmere 'Joan' jacket and skirt suit, fw 1998By Alexander McQueenLocated in London, GB▪ Alexander McQueen 'Joan' suit ▪ Museum piece ▪ Black cashmere ▪ Fitted jacket with buttoned inner bodice with standing shoulders ▪ Mid-length pencil skirt with large rear kick sp...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Iconic Museum-worthy GIANNI VERSACE Atelier Long Black DressBy VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXGIANNI VERSACE A BLACK EVENING DRESS IN HEAVY LYCRA NET EFFECT, TULLE AND LACE BODICE WORN BY STEPHANIE SEYMOUR IN AVEDON'S AUTUMN/WINTER CAMPAIGN 1993/94. Was auctioned in 2001 on Sotheby's in NYC. Sotheby's auction item # 598 THIS AMAZING DRESS WAS DESIGNED BY GIANNI VERSACE HIMSELF and CAME FROM HIS PERSONAL ARCHIVE COLLECTION! Versace Atelier Content: 60% lana, 40% nylon Versace's phenomenal long dress makes an unforgettable statement with a striking Swarovski crystal embellished gold buttons and sheer plisse panels. Since it was runway sample it has no size. Approximately size 4. Versace at it's best! Museum worthy...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- Vintage Jean Paul Gaultier 1980s corset inspired bleu spandex and satin skirtBy Jean Paul Gaultier, Junior GaultierLocated in Antwerp, BECollectible icon piece!! Jean-Paul Gaultier vintage 1980s corset-inspired bleu spandex and satin skirt. Beautiful vintage condition, the rubber elasticized panels allowing side stret...Category
1980s Italian Skirts
- 1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Black Hand Crochet Poncho Tunic Halter DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in San Diego, CARare and iconic 90s JEAN PAUL GAULTIER black hand crochet poncho tunic halter dress! Features asymmetrical hand-sewn crochet, with handkerchief hem, and attached fringe pom-poms at h...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Yellow Iridescent Silk Velvet Long Evening Dress 2000s NWTBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Brindisi, BtThis beautiful Jean Paul Gaultier long dress is a must-have for any fashion lover. The dress features a stunning Japanese print in yellow and brown tones, making it perfect for any s...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dress
- Vera Wang Luxe Embellished Lace and Tulle Wedding DressBy Vera WangLocated in London, GBThis Vera Wang Luxe wedding dress is truly an exquisite, couture creation, the workmanship is beautiful! Soft sweetheart strapless embellished boned bodice with zip fastening. Ornate...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wedding Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Size L Black Red Plaid Nylon Lycra Drawstring SpeedoBy Jean Paul Gaultier, Jena Paul GaultierLocated in San Francisco, CAVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER speedo comes in a black & red plaid nylon / lycra featuring a mesh panel and a elastic waistband. Made in Italy. Very Good Pre-Owned Condition. Marked: L...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Swim Trunks
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 22.05 inches (56 cm) Sleeves: 24 inches (61 cm) Bust: 24 i...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15 inches (38.10 cm) Sleeve...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest DressBy JPG by Gaultier, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Waist: 13.77 inches (35 cm) Hips: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Length: 43.30 inches (110 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - Dark denim 2 in 1 convertible dress...Category
1990s French Informal Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Cinched Faux Fur Trimmings Quilted Lining JacketBy Gaultier Junior, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Cinched Faux Fur Trimmings Quilted Lining Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, double bust and waist: Shoulder: 20.07 inches (51 cm) Sleeves: 22.24 inches...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Outlaws Territory" Cross Leopard Print Vest JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Outlaws Territory" Cross Leopard Print Vest Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 18.50...Category
20th Century Moroccan Vests
Recently ViewedView More
You Saw It at the Met Ball. Here’s What Camp Fashion Is Really About
This year's Costume Institute exhibition is all about embracing the eccentric.
Vivienne Westwood’s Punk Spirit Lives On in This ’90s Tartan Ensemble
The shorts suit in a mash-up of patterns with an asymmetrical cut speaks to the designer’s rebellious spirit.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery