- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier reversible chiffon and jacquard evening robe, fw 1994
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: IT 42 - FR 38 - UK 10 - US 6 (EU)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU140211741792
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Men's Jean Paul Gaultier black wool blazer jacket with caged sleeves, ss 1989By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Men's Jean Paul Gaultier black double-breasted blazer jacket ▪ 100% Wool ▪ Caged sleeves ▪ Peak lapels ▪ Provenance: Pete Burns (1959–2016) ▪ Size 48 ▪ Spring-Summer 1989Category
1980s Italian Blazers
- Jean Paul Gaultier purple and black satin jacket, fw 1986By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GBJean Paul Gaultier purple and black striped satin oversized jacket with ribbed wool cuffs and collar, two front pockets and zip fastenings. Fall-Winter 1986Category
- Jean Paul Gaultier multicoloured satin evening robe and cummerbund, fw 1984By Jean Paul Gaultier, Jena Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Jean Paul Gaultier multicoloured satin evening robe ▪ Matching pleated cummerbund with snap buttons ▪ Black wool fitted sleeves ▪ IT 40 - FR 36 - UK 8 - US 4 ▪ Fall-Winter 1984Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier gold lace and silk organza corseted jacket, ss 1988By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GBJean Paul Gaultier gold lace corseted jacket backed with black silk organza. Spring-Summer 1988Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- Christian Dior by John Galliano shearling jacket and wrap skirt set , fw 2000By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior burgundy shearling 2-piece set ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Fitted jacket ▪ Maxi wrap skirt ▪ Inverted seams ▪ Detachable sleeves ▪ Buckle ties at the waist ...Category
Early 2000s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Tom Ford Gucci black silk evening robe with matching Obi belt, A/W 2002By Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in London, GBLoose fit evening robe in black silk brocade with matching Obi belt with braided leather string fastening Autumn-Winter 2002Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- 1960's Black Silk Chiffon Tiered GownBy Christian DiorLocated in Toronto, OntarioAttributed to Dior. Stunning 1960's black silk chiffon multi-tiered gown. Tiers are trimmed thinly in black lace. Gown has off the shoulder sleeves and ...Category
1960s French Evening Gowns
- 1980's AZZEDINE ALAIA long full skirted seamed black dressBy Azzedine AlaïaLocated in San Fransisco, CAVery rare long black cotton blend dress with full skirt, open back and beautiful seaming from Azzedine Alaia dating to the early 1980's. Dress best fits a Modern US size 2. Approxima...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- 1990S DKNY DONNA KARAN Denim Cotton Pin-Up Bodysuit Wrap Skirt DressLocated in New York, NYLarge size with elastic gored sides for accommodating fit. 1990S DKNY DONNA KARAN Denim Cotton Pin-Up Bodysuit Wrap Skirt DressCategory
- Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent 2001-2003 Collection Silk Top Velvet Skirt SuitBy Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Montgomery, TXTom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent Rare Skirt Suit French size 36 - US 4 Blouse - S/S 2003 Collection, 100% Sheer Silk, Buttons Closure, Cut-out Details, New with Extra Buttons. Skirt ...Category
Early 2000s French Skirt Suits
- Nikos Hand Woven Wool 3 Piece Set With Wrap Sweater Scarf & Large Shoulder BagBy NikosLocated in Portland, ORThis is a handwoven 3 piece vintage wool set from Nikos from the 1980's. Nikos was a beautiful clothing line of hand woven wool that was sold to high end boutiques and department stores in the 1980's. We acquired quite a few pieces from an estate that had mainly Japanese designer clothing. Nikos pieces have that same unique aesthetic in many ways and they can add so much to a wardrobe! This set includes a large shawl or wrap that can be worn tied in the back, or in front, a long scarf, and an oversized handbag...Category
1980s American Shawls
- Chloe Karl Lagerfeld Boteh Dress High Neck Lace Inset, 1981By ChloéLocated in Boca Raton, FLKarl Lagerfeld opened the 1980s at Chloe with a return to the traditional. As the house began to shift its direction to designing for the career woman, Lagerfeld paralleled this shif...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- 1990S Pink Organic Cotton Traditional Japanese Floral Motif KimonoLocated in New York, NY1990S Pink Organic Cotton Traditional Japanese Floral Motif KimonoCategory
- Comme des Garcons Jacket with Straps AD 2002By Junya Watanabe, Comme des GarçonsLocated in Water Mill, NYAn incredible blue grey jacket with dark blue pinstripes by Junya Watanabe for Comme des Garcons, CDG. It has a lapel collar, front patch pockets and is covered in an amazing array ...Category
Early 2000s Japanese Jackets
- Geoffrey Beene Boutique Black and Cream Satin Dolly Dress, Circa 1960'sBy Geoffrey Beene, Geoffrey Beene BoutiqueLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis is a vintage black dress with an attached cream silk blouse by Geoffrey Beene, from the 1960's. The dress has a black patent leather belt, a black silk bow tie, retro shaped cuf...Category
1960s American Day Dresses
- Christian Dior Red Printed One Shoulder Dress - 44By Christian DiorLocated in West Palm Beach, FLThis fabulous Christian Dior cocktail dress is red with a floral-esque print on it. The dress is made of silk chiffon with a pleated skirt and ruched along the bust and single strap....Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier Black Bomber Jacket Coat 1980sBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Berlin, DEAn early, rare Jean Paul Gaultier black bomber jacket / a-line coat from circa 1980s. Over sized blue and brown shade faux fur hooded coat gives beautiful volume. With bright orange ...Category
1980s French Sport Jackets$2,892Free Shipping
- Jean Paul Gaultier FEMME Blazer Jacket Leather Sleeves 90sBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Berlin, DEJean-Paul Gaultier Femme beautifully tailored black jacket with leather detail. Satin collar. Two snap buttons on each cuffs. Size : 8 US Sleeve : 76 cm (From neck point) Under ar...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest DressBy Jean Paul Gaultier, JPG by GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Waist: 13.77 inches (35 cm) Hips: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Length: 43.30 inches (110 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - Dark denim 2 in 1 convertible dress...Category
1990s French Informal Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Outlaws Territory" Cross Leopard Print Vest JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Outlaws Territory" Cross Leopard Print Vest Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 18.50...Category
20th Century Moroccan Vests
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Logo Studded Denim JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Logo Studded Denim Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15.74 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 24.80 inches (63 cm) Bust: 1...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Dark Blue Denim Cropped JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Dark Blue Denim Cropped Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15.35 inches (39...Category
1990s French Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
You Saw It at the Met Ball. Here’s What Camp Fashion Is Really About
This year's Costume Institute exhibition is all about embracing the eccentric.
Vivienne Westwood’s Punk Spirit Lives On in This ’90s Tartan Ensemble
The shorts suit in a mash-up of patterns with an asymmetrical cut speaks to the designer’s rebellious spirit.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery