- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Cinched Faux Fur Trimmings Quilted Lining Jacket
About the Item
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Kingersheim, FR
- Reference Number:Seller: VET3961stDibs: LU1715213507892
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kingersheim, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Vintage 1989 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Leopard Print Corset Flare Vest JacketBy Gaultier Junior, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1989 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Leopard Print Corset Flare Vest Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 19.29...Category
1980s French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Leather Trapezoid Hard Box BagBy Gaultier Junior, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Leather Trapezoid Hard Box Bag Measurements: Height: 7 inches (17.78 cm) Top Width: 12 inches (30.48 cm) Bottom Width: 10 inches (25.4 cm) Depth: 3...Category
20th Century French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 22.05 inches (56 cm) Sleeves: 24 inches (61 cm) Bust: 24 i...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15 inches (38.10 cm) Sleeve...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest DressBy JPG by Gaultier, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Waist: 13.77 inches (35 cm) Hips: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Length: 43.30 inches (110 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - Dark denim 2 in 1 convertible dress...Category
1990s French Informal Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Outlaws Territory" Cross Leopard Print Vest JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Outlaws Territory" Cross Leopard Print Vest Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 18.50...Category
20th Century Moroccan Vests
- GIANNI VERSACE Demin/Jeans-Style Distressed Leather Dress Gown 2001By Gianni VersaceLocated in Switzerland, CHFANTASTIC GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE DENIM/JEANS-STYLE DISTRESSED LEATHER GOWN AS SHOWN ON THE RUNWAY SHOW AND AD CAMPAIGN SOLD OUT IMMEDIATELY Impossible to find! ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dress
- Christian Dior by John Galliano shearling jacket and wrap skirt set , fw 2000By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior burgundy shearling 2-piece set ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Fitted jacket ▪ Maxi wrap skirt ▪ Inverted seams ▪ Detachable sleeves ▪ Buckle ties at the waist ...Category
Early 2000s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Comme des Garcons Spring-Summer 1986 black bias cut evening dressBy Rei Kawakubo, Comme des GarçonsLocated in London, GBComme des Garcons Spring-Summer 1986 black bias cut jersey evening dress with chiffon and creased nylon fishtail skirtCategory
1980s Japanese Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano crimson torn silk bias cut dress, fw 2000By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior crimson red silk evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Torn effect ▪ Multiple fabric buttons at the side seam ▪ Spaghetti straps ▪ Straight across neckline...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier Junior Vintage Black Denim Iconic Corset Style JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior vintage black denim iconic corset style jacket. This jacket features classic collar, front button fastening, fron...Category
20th Century Italian Jackets$530 Sale Price20% Off
- Azzedine Alaia pink open-knit floor-length fishtail dress, ss 1996By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in London, GB▪ Azzedine Alaia pink rayon evening dress ▪ Stretch open-knit ▪ Fishtail skirt ▪ Figure hugging fit ▪ Nude lining ▪ Size 'XS' ▪ Spring-Summer 1996 ▪ 100% Rayon ▪ Made in ItalyCategory
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano blue and gold silk-lurex evening dress, ss 2001By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Bias-cut ▪ Constructed from navy blue silk chiffon woven with gold lurex swirls ▪ Metal zippers at the neckline and sid...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- F/W 1999 Gucci by Tom Ford Black Leather Zip Runway Biker JacketBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a skin-hugging leather zip-up biker jacket designed by Tom Ford for the Gucci F/W 1999 collection. This piece debuted as look 11 of the runway presentation. The...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- S/S 1995 Gianni Versace Bustier Medusa Corset DressBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: Gianni Versace's take on a mermaid silhouette. This black number was designed by Gianni Versace for his Spring/Summer 1995 collection, stuns with a form-fitting...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses$6,200 Sale Price20% Off
- Jean Paul Gaultier Iconic Cage Corset lace up Jacket Pant Suit S/S 1989By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous iconic black polished cotton lace-up back cage jacket and pants suit from Jean Paul Gaultier Spring/Summer 1989 Collection. The jacket has incredible vertical boning alte...Category
1980s French Trouser Pant Suits
- 1980's Gaultier Red Denim Jean JacketBy Gaultier Junior, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Toronto, OntarioGaultier Junior red cotton denim jean jacket closely fitted through the waist. The collared jacket buttons up the front with copper tone stud buttons lab...Category
1980s French Jackets
- 1988 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER black felted wool corset RUNWAY jacketBy Gaultier Junior, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in San Fransisco, CABlack, felted wool corset jacket with black piping, ribbed cuffs and off-white zig-zag cut triangles accents from Jean Paul Gaultier Junior dating to th...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier 1989 Iconic “Cone Bust” Corset DressBy Jean Paul Gaultier, Gaultier JuniorLocated in Rome, ITJean Paul Gaultier 1989 Iconic “Cone Bust” Corset Dress Jean Paul Gaultier Late 80s Junior Salmon Corset Dress with signature “Cone Bust”, popularized by...Category
1980s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier Fight Racism 1997 AW Punk Anarchy Brick Wall Top Coat JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER vintage jacket featuring symbols and multi colored wall and flags print. From Autumn Fall 1997 FIGHT RACISM Collection! The AW/1997 collection drew inspiration from social issues facing the globe at the time. The collection featured graffiti jacket...Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier Bella Hadid Leather Biker Motorcycle Vintage Punk Coat JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRHeavy leather biker jacket by Jean Paul Gaultier! Bella Hadid worn the same jacket in 2016. From the early Gaultier`s years! RARE! Real leather Heavy 4...Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier Striped Tuxedo Oxford Vintage 80s 90s Black Crop Top VestBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRJean Paul Gaultier vest! Gaultier Jean`s buttons 2 front pockets VERY GOOD Conidtion. SIZE Woman: medium Man:XS to small. Marked size: medium. Model`s size in photos: XS. Length: 3...Category
Early 2000s Italian Tank Tops
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery